Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Auto Insurance

Whats up? I'm a newbie on here, just wondering how auto-insurance works in the DR ? How much does it cost per month, or per year? I'm looking at something like a 2003 Range Rover. I'm Canadian and my insurance is around 400$ monthly. I really hope it is cheaper in the DR. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone at all ?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

definitely cheaper, looking at +-$200.00 month; full coverage

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a 2002 Avalanche and I pay about $36,000RD a year. Do note that if you don't have a DR drivers lic. then your insurance may not pay on claims that you may make.

Bob K

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

RD means pesos, fish.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

For just the basic coverage provided by law (Ley), you will pay about $100 US for a year. Maybe a little less for an older car. Full Insurance would be a ton more.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That was in pesos and translates to about $940 USD a year. I also pay it off quarterly.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We pay about $150 U.S for $300,000 for annual liability coverage (US numbers) You really cannot get more than that but it is adequate for the DR. and I don't think collision is even available, . you'll see why when you drive there. That is pretty standard.
    You will find the cost of cars is quite expensive in the DR. Moca is the place to shop for a car, . 30 minutes east of Santiago. An SUV, with Independent suspension and 6 cyl. or more is minimum. Good luck, . you'll love it!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->
    Originally Posted by jorgesarduysousa
    definitely cheaper, looking at +-$200.00 month; full coverage

<!-- END TEMPLATE: bbcode_quote -->Just for clarification. Is that pesos or dollars? I cannot imagine anyone paying that amount in dollars any where unless they are a teen ager with 4 DUIs
    Backing up, It doesn't say RD here at all. And this works out to about Five and a quarter USD. So once more time, would this be pesos or greenbacks?
    Thanks
    Der Fish

you see that $ sign. And you are/were a teacher.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I see $ signs quite often when people mean Pesos Dominicanos.
    OK back to my original comment. I cannot imagine anyone anywhere paying $200.00 USD a month for insurance for one car and then thinking it is cheaper than elsewhere. We pay $120.00 a month for full coverage on 3 cars and that is with 2 drivers.
    I pay $900 dollars per year for a 2007 Toyota RAV4. I have a clean driving record and no accidents (ever), but I live in a high accident area with the 401 freeway 2 miles away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast