How hard to prove marriage fruad?

slinger

Nov 5, 2010
So this buddy of mine marries a knockout Dominicana six months ago. Buys a house. Her children start out two, then three, then four. Lady turns into a dragona and starts disappearing two or three nights a week. "Can't remember" where she slept. He's ready to dump the deal and wants to keep the money he paid for the house. (paid cash) He's American (told him not to) Does he have a leg to stand on?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Not a good arrangement to start with. How long did he know this woman before he became so generous? HOw many kids does she have versus she said she had? Odd details you have here.

Did he literally marry her or she just moved in with him? Is his name on the deed or is it joint?

slinger

Nov 5, 2010
Both their names on the title. He had to use her bank account to wire money to from the States. He didn't have his Cedula yet.
First payment made before matrimony. Last payment made after.
God yes it's a bad arrangemnt. That's why I'm trying to help him get out of it.
Poor schmuck loves her. "Because she loves me for what I am". He believes all that propaganda put out by the dating services about how you can "find a nice Dominican woman". I know he shoulda looked this horse in the mouth and other places.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
He needs a lawyer. I'd check with theGuzman firm. If they don't handle cases like this ask them to recommend and competent and honest lawyer who does.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I hope you manage to get you friend sorted out - it sounds like he could do with a good friend.

But where was the fraud?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I can tell you with certainty that the house will be split down the middle. It happened to someone I know. The court will tell him to sell it and give her half.

But if there is no buyer for a long while, she may take much less as a settlement. As these scavengers like cash in hand. So that would be a good strategy.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
He needs a lawyer. I'd check with theGuzman firm. If they don't handle cases like this ask them to recommend and competent and honest lawyer who does.

Do you work for Guzman firm Ken?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Do you work for Guzman firm Ken?

Don't you have better things to do?

No, but I trust them so I recommend them. Finding a lawyer that can be trusted in this country is not an easy task.

Also, since Fabio is kind enough to supply free legal advice to us on dr1, I believe the firm deserves our support.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
heh, heh, sometimes it sounds like Ken is on comission. Your buddy is screwed. As to how much it is up to him. Patch up the relationship as best as possible and then when things are cool negotitate to buy her off the deed and divorce her all at one package price. Scavenger sounds about right but the good news is that these types have a price. Its up to your buddy to not make her angry at him no matter how she behaves. Yep, he will need a lawyers advice, otherwise she will get at least half the house including the furnishings. Tell your buddy to calm down and do not do anything in the heat of the moment. Time is on his side. Down the road she will get hungry for some cash. Forget about trying to pay her back for being like this. It is what she is and things can get worse if she gets angry.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Pollyanna

So this buddy of mine marries a knockout Dominicana six months ago. Buys a house. Her children start out two, then three, then four. Lady turns into a dragona and starts disappearing two or three nights a week. "Can't remember" where she slept. He's ready to dump the deal and wants to keep the money he paid for the house. (paid cash) He's American (told him not to) Does he have a leg to stand on?

Well everything does not turn out well.
Pre screening would have been a good idea.
The house is in the DR, she is married to him, is on the title, lives with the children in the house.
After a legal battle he is lucky to get half.
Love is great but one can not be too trusting and should be careful before investing large amounts.
Buying real estate is easy, selling under current conditions is not.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you dont need a cedula to open a bank account or wire funds- well apparently a lot of wedding here are illegal so I would get that checked out first

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
I see no fraud. Maybe some deception but no fraud. The only absolute lesson i see here is a " fool and his money ". I hope he only bought a $20,000USD basic house on a street to be paved later. If so the lawyer to get half back will eventually run him 10K because he is a gringo. Your man needs to drop 10 and punt. Give her everything in exchange for her Hancock on the divorce papers. If he had money to pay cash for the DR house then he is not a broke ass bum and can try the Phillipines for his next mail order bride.