baby is mine

Gempull

Jan 19, 2011
Just like I thought, the baby is mine. Just a quick question for advice. Should I register as the father for both dominican government and united states government? Just the U.S. only? Any helpful tips? Thanks

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You need to go to the US Embassy and register the birth for the US. For the DR the baby should already be registered. Let the kid have dual citizenship. Also you speak only English and the mother only Spanish to the baby. This way the baby will speak both English and Spanish.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Although the baby has a Dominican Birth Certificate, he may not have been named as the father. If he is not the father on the Dominican certificate, he will have to prove paternity to register the birth with the US.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Although the baby has a Dominican Birth Certificate, he may not have been named as the father. If he is not the father on the Dominican certificate, he will have to prove paternity to register the birth with the US.

Yes, and the US Embassy no matter what will ask for a DNA test. My friend had a baby here and had to take one to prove it was his.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You have to go through the process with the US Consulate to obtain a Consulate Report of birth abroad: Citizen Services | Embassy of the United States Dominican Republic
Interviews are required and lots of paperwork. I did not have to do a DNA test but I was married, I don't know about un-married. You do have to prove you were in the country and relationship, etc, etc.
Read the link and follow the steps.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
US consulate does not always ask for a DNA test to be done, depends on the situation. Know some who had to have it, and some who did not!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
US consulate does not always ask for a DNA test to be done, depends on the situation. Know some who had to have it, and some who did not!
If a child is born during a legal marriage it is assumed legitimate, therby a blood decendant of both parents.

From: 7 FAM 1130 ACQUISITION OF U.S. CITIZENSHIP BY BIRTH ABROAD TO U.S. CITIZEN PARENT
b. Applicants must meet different standards of proof of blood relationship depending on the circumstances of their birth:
(1) The statutes do not specify a standard of proof for persons claiming birth in wedlock to a U.S. citizen parent or out of wedlock to an American mother. The Department’s regulations also do not explicitly establish a standard of proof. The Department applies the general standard of a preponderance of the evidence. This standard means that the evidence of blood relationship is of greater weight than the evidence to the contrary. It is credible and convincing and best accords with reason and probability. It does not depend on the volume of evidence presented.
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86757.pdf

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Does not have to be a legal marriage! can be a long time relationship, but no marriage, and no DNA test. More of less depends on the interviewer you happen to get. If the interviewer is ****ed that day, or did not get any the night before, you probably be required to do the DNA test, if they are in a good mood probably not. kind of like shooting craps sometime you roll a 7 sometimes snake eyes

CDR53098

Apr 19, 2010
Is there a time limit for registering birth in DR? if so what is it? American father, Dominican mother unmarried

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
My son will be four in December. He was born in the private hospital in POP. His mother(my wife since May 2011) had a C-section and a three day stay, The cost was ~32,000 pesos.

It took me 3 visits to the US Embassy (4 for my wife) and 9 months to obtain his Report of Birth Abroad certificate and US passport (good for only 5 years) for $150.00USD. Thank God I timed the date correctly so I can be in POP and at the hospital the day he was born and photo document it. Pictures at different times of our relationship proved to be critically important. The interviewer was American and my son looks nothing like his mother, all me. No DNA test required.

In July I filed for an I-130 request for alien relative visa for my wife along with a 325a form for both of us. I hope to hear something positive in January when I return since my wife is the mother and wife of American citizens. I hope the interview process to be an easy rubber stamp situation. I hope that's not just wishful thinking because I truly don't know what to expect.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
My son will be four in December. He was born in the private hospital in POP. His mother(my wife since May 2011) had a C-section and a three day stay, The cost was ~32,000 pesos.

It took me 3 visits to the US Embassy (4 for my wife) and 9 months to obtain his Report of Birth Abroad certificate and US passport (good for only 5 years) for $150.00USD. Thank God I timed the date correctly so I can be in POP and at the hospital the day he was born and photo document it. Pictures at different times of our relationship proved to be critically important. The interviewer was American and my son looks nothing like his mother, all me. No DNA test required.

In July I filed for an I-130 request for alien relative visa for my wife along with a 325a form for both of us. I hope to hear something positive in January when I return since my wife is the mother and wife of American citizens. I hope the interview process to be an easy rubber stamp situation. I hope that's not just wishful thinking because I truly don't know what to expect.

Do as you did before, come prepared for the interview with documentation and you will be fine.

jad604

Nov 17, 2011
You should do it within two years of the birth of your child. That way you won't need a DNA test if your name is on the birth certificate. They'll want to see proof of your relationship. Photos are very important and will help immensely if you have them through the stages of your relationship and especially if you have them in the hospital when the child was born. Good luck!