How do you pay a traffic ticket in DR?

slinger

Nov 5, 2010
My pobre amigo received a ticket for no seat belt from AMET about three months ago. He left the country the next day and his wife told him she went to a bank and paid it.
She didn't get a receipt and last week he found the ticket in her purse.
Does the bank keep the original ticket like in the States? Does the bank normally issue a receipt?
What might be the procedure for finding out if said wife actually paid the ticket? (without confronting her)
I think she's hosing him but he can't see it. Easier for an outsider to see. I'm just suspicious.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Usually, no one pays their traffic tickets... I also wanted to pay mine, 3 years ago, as I answered a cell-phone call and an AMET caught me... But the process was so complicated that I just forgot about it... Too bad... I don't really approve of not paying, but I could not find my way into it...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Welcome to Paradise

Usually, no one pays their traffic tickets... I also wanted to pay mine, 3 years ago, as I answered a cell-phone call and an AMET caught me... But the process was so complicated that I just forgot about it... Too bad... I don't really approve of not paying, but I could not find my way into it...

Things are changing. They are moving towards linking tickets with license registrations in an internal network. I don't know if they are there yet but eventually an unpaid ticket will have to be paid or you can't renew your license to drive. For my sake I assume they are there.

That seat belt ticket in the OP was an easy one. You pay it at BanReservas.

Other infractions are more complicated. In Santo Domingo with some infractions such as running a red light you have to go to the AMET headquarters on San Vincente. An administrative clerk reviews the ticket establishes what the fine is ($1667 RD for red light) and gives you a form that you take to BanReservas. I think you have to have some copies made so you have to pay attention to what they say and review the document carefully.

You go to the BanReservas pay the ticket and bring the paperwork back to AMET San Vincente where they stamp it and give you a receipt for your records. When you renew you DR driver license make sure to bring such receipts with you in case a dispute arises. Fun with bureaucracy 101 :hurt:

Parking around the AMET headquarters is a nightmare.

It's very effective. The process is such a pain in the Ax that you don't want to go through it again.

Under the PLD government many government functions have been streamlined so the old days of just blowing off tickets are dying.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
she will have to try harder if she is doing it for the money- the fine isnt that much, unless it keeps happening, why would she be suspected with one offence

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That seat belt ticket in the OP was an easy one. You pay it at BanReservas.

Other infractions are more complicated. In Santo Domingo with some infractions such as running a red light you have to go to the AMET headquarters on San Vincente. An administrative clerk reviews the ticket establishes what the fine is ($1667 RD for red light) and gives you a form that you take to BanReservas. I think you have to have some copies made so you have to pay attention to what they say and review the document carefully.

You go to the BanReservas pay the ticket and bring the paperwork back to AMET San Vincente where they stamp it and give you a receipt for your records. When you renew you DR driver license make sure to bring such receipts with you in case a dispute arises. Fun with bureaucracy 101 :hurt:

Parking around the AMET headquarters is a nightmare.

It's very effective. The process is such a pain in the Ax that you don't want to go through it again.

Thought this was the same for all tickets including the no seat belt, and why does a seat belt fine cost as much a running a red light.