can you drink from rio yasica?

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
coming from the alps i am used to be able to drink everything as long as its upstream and away from civilization.

there is a unpaved road from los castillos to jamao al norte and basically 3/4 of the way you need to cross the rio yasica (not that deep, but pretty wide). can i fill up my water bottles or rather not?

water looks clean, flows pretty intense, but so does the danube and i wouldn't recommend drinking it.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
How many animals upstream bathing in the river? In this country, you can never be sure you are away from the river being used by people and animals.

If I filled a water bottle, I would put in some purrrissima, the water purification product sold by many supermarkets and farmacias. It's like high power cloro but without the taste.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
My nephews swim in the river, and pee probably too. I wouldn't drink it, some folks do and cook with it too.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I've often crossed that spot.
Saw a guy once in a big diesel truck changing his oil right there
near the bank, draining his oil....true story. Yes I said something.
He just gave me that duuhhh look; did the nose-lip-crinkle gesture,
at a guy with him, and said nothing. I've seen cows there too, when the river is low.
Some tourist jungle safari trucks cross there often as well.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
lol, ok, thanks guys. need to get bigger water bottles then. doesn't sound to appealing.

I've seen cows there too, when the river is low.

btw. how deep does it get? i crossed it like 3 days ago or so and it was a above knee and below waist height.

don't wanna ride my bike 1.5hrs or so just to see the dead end and need to turn around :-(

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Just to have some fun and to answer your question.

Fill a "clean" bottle from the river and put it on ice. Take it to Sterling Labs and have it tested. About 700 pesos for a full test.

They are about a block S.E. off of Rt. 5 on the left side of Calle Camino Real. About half a block N.W. and across the steet from the Caribe Tours bus line.

I would be interested in the results.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Unless you're on top of a mountain or hill and see the water coming directly from the ground, I wouldn't drink it...

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
There are few streams tucked way up the mountains where you might dare drink it directly. I have seen an empty water bottle hanging from a barbed wire crossing a remote stream to indicate it is potable.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
How can anyone ignore all the warnings that the government has posted everywhere not to drink water from ANY stream ..I am quite amazed at how any one can even post such a question when there has been so much publicity about cholera on the island and the need to ONLY drink boiled or bottled water.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Doesn't usually get deeper than 4 feet, but on a bike I wouldn't cross at that depth.
After a major rain, another foot at most. But the current after a heavy rain will sweep you and
even a 4-wheel drive, down. Not recommended. Surely not potable.
Testing the water at a lab, in that location, is throwing away your money.
If someone does happen to do so, please let us know the results.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
The short and simple answer to the question is;
Yes, but you only get to do it once!

Bob K

miozio

May 23, 2009
I wouldn't drink that water simply because the locals use soap to wash themselves, their motos, and animals in that river. It usually takes 50 miles to clean that water the natural way but i think every man in this country washes his moto in that river.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The best advice is to never drink any water from any river, stream or tap in the DR. Bottled water only for drinking.