Best place to live

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Does anyone have any recommendations on a good place to live in the DR, preferably something like Sosua, only without the prostitution, or less of it?

Like Sosua in the sense of small, walkable, affordable rental apartments, cosmopolitan population, beach, variety of restaurants, good for riding a bicycle, and not too difficult to get to.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have always thought that Cabrera would be pleasant to live in , and if you do not mind the high rainfall, las Terrenas . But I thought the prostitution in Sosua had been much reduced . Rio san Juan is also nice

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Must check out Cabrera. Have been to Las Terrenas a few years ago and liked it, but I wonder if it is not more expensive.

Mar 2, 2008
And where are the comparative places you have lived? Just so we all know what we are looking at. I think if you are going to give a "sucks" judgment, you should have at least visited there for a period of time. I'm just sayin'.

I personally like Sosua. There is a diverse population of Dominican and various ex-pat communities, with enough to do to be interesting and small enough to walk around without much difficulty.

Feb 7, 2007
La Romana is getting quite cosmopolitan ... good restaurants, beach nearby (casa de campo and bayahibe), freeway nearby, mostly good power, affordable rent if you know where to look for, easy to get to Santo Domingo, several large shopping centers (Jumbo, Iberia, Plaza Lama, Orense), good nightlife (lots of venues), several theatre halls, and the population is more "internationalized" (lots of Italians and Spaniards) but with Dominican prices, and it's also very clean. It's a good place. I should now, I am opening a TV station there ...

rick3993

Sep 5, 2006
Las Terrenas is the most beautiful place on the island to live. Best beaches. But it depends what you want....You can live there very cheap or very expensive. We lived there last year with our family and rented a villa on the beach and we loved it. Now we live in the city. LT is also a big party town if you want it and lots of expats, Italians, French, and many other countries; Americans are the smallest
number..about 20.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Las Terrenas is the most beautiful place on the island to live. Best beaches. But it depends what you want....You can live there very cheap or very expensive. We lived there last year with our family and rented a villa on the beach and we loved it. Now we live in the city. LT is also a big party town if you want it and lots of expats, Italians, French, and many other countries; Americans are the smallest
number..about 20.

Does Las Terrenas have wireless Internet availability? I liked the area and remember riding out to Limon on a scooter one evening. What would be considered an affordable rent for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment there?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Sosua is a wonderful town. Prostitution is all over the DR and not just in Sosua as some would have you believe. Why are you so afraid of prostitution?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm not sure why you are asking the question since you appear to have been to the D.R. before and have some of your own answers. ??

Jarabacoa. Not on the ocean but lots of rivers and water falls. Nice quite town that has alot to offer and not many tourist.

I'm going up this weekend and really looking foreward to being there.

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
Best place on the Island thats like Sosua has got to be Sosua. I live here with two kids sand the prostitution doesnt bother me as I dont go to the bars where they are. There are alot of bars that they dont go in.

jmsunlinenet

May 24, 2005
Sosua is a wonderful town. Prostitution is all over the DR and not just in Sosua as some would have you believe. Why are you so afraid of prostitution?

I didn't say that I was afraid of prostitution and I'm not afraid of it, but it is the central industry of Sosua and the reason that many of the overseas visitors go there and while the girls are charming the men who go there for the girls tend to be bores. I do like Sosua in several respects, and I have been to various places in the DR, but I was just wondering what other places there are that I don't know about or haven't been to.

Mar 2, 2008
I'm not sure how one could conclude that prostitution is the central industry of Sosua. It is certainly one aspect of the economic base, but there are many businesses that exist in Sosua with absolutely no connection to prostitution, aside from the occasional customer who happens to be employed in that industry.

If there is any town in the Dr that can honestly report that their community is prostitution-free, I would like to hear about it. It is legal throughout the country, and many families depend on the income that is derived from it.

The point is, Sosua is a great little seaside community, with a diverse population, and with many points of interests. I personally have no problem with the prostitution that exists here. They don't bother me and I don't bother them. It is simply a fact a life throughout the world, and particularly, the third world.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Some day I'll be building a vacation home in Cafemba. We have some land there now thanks to Raul. I'd been admiring the view from his cousin's terrace from the first time I visited there last year. It's overlooking the mountain and is full of plantain and mango trees. I like Cafemba because it's right beside Costambar, walking distance to the beach and some restos, discos, university etc but nice and quiet at night.... It's only a few minutes drive to Puerto Plata, the malecon etc.... I've noticed that they were starting some new building projects in the area, with condos going up etc around the golf course in Costambar. Hopefully they'll revitalize the area because Costambar has potential...

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Must check out Cabrera. Have been to Las Terrenas a few years ago and liked it, but I wonder if it is not more expensive.

YOU MUST CHECK OUT CABRERA! :) I knew very little about the place before moving here but it really is one of the DR's more hidden gems. Cabrera is close to some really spectacular beaches (including my all-time favourite, Playa Grande) and the friendliest people I think I've ever met. From someone who's traveled most of her adult life, that's something! :)

There isn't a whole lot going on here at night (although Cabrera's sort of the holiday-party gathering place quite often) but some great restaurants, very cheap and great living, beautiful scenery and amazing people. PM me if you like to know more. What will you be doing for work, or are you retired, etc?

Cabarete's a fun place, too, but not as friendly as Cabrera in my opinion :)

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Wow, lolitula, if you are not in Real estate, I am sold :)

I was looking into the area last year for vacations but it seemed that a place where you would need a car. Since I am car-less with 2 toddlers, I didn't think it would be suitable.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The best place to live in the DR is Juan Dolio.
The best place to live in Juan Dolio is the Metro Country Club.
The development borders the Juan Dolio beach area, with excellent water, electricity and utilities, along with a good playable course, an Embassy Suites Hotel with excellent rooms, and access to a variety of restaurants and other leisure activities. It has become a great residential alternative for wealthy dominican families and Non-Dominican families that seek to live full time as well as to enjoy vacation homes. Security services and patrols are excellent, and the development is known for its tight access restriction. Prices of lots continue to rise, and homes are expansive and attractive. There are very attractive high end condominiums on the beach as well as in the actual golf club. The development is 35 minutes from the capital city, with all that has to offer, 10 minutes to San Pedro de Macoris, and 15 minutes from the main international airport on the island. Large shopping super markets are available with all kinds of domestic and international products 12 minutes away- Jumbo Supermarkets. The best clinics and hospitals are in Santo Domingo, which in an emergency is 20 minutes away.. at most, and very important.