Renting in Gazcue, Santo Domingo

businessdr

Oct 8, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am seeking information on renting a one bedroom one bath apartment in Gazcue.

Is anyone familiar with that area? What would be the cost?

Is this area horribly dangerous?

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I have read here that Gazcue has some shady areas,Try supercasas.com or mudate.net,they have a tremondous amount of listing.when you go to supercasas,on the left click on apartments,then on the three drop down menu do as follow,Santo Domingo,Santo Domingo centro,Gazcue

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
Businssdr, I will suggest that you rent that unit in the Colonial Zone (zona colonial) as it is near to almost everything that you would need. This place I know is an apartment-hotel own by an American and run by him and his wife that most of their tenants are mainly from the USa, very secured and safe with all included, internet, cable and rooms services a few days a week. PM me if need more information regarding this place

dom

Jun 1, 2011
gazcue is close to the zona colonial and the malecon, you do have to watch at night and the areas you go to, but in overall it is middle to upperclass dominicans living in the area.

it is not very quiet !!!

i used to rent a 1 bed with aircondition and electrcity included for 10.000 a month, wasnt too bad i think

arp568

Aug 31, 2010
businssdr, i will suggest that you rent that unit in the colonial zone (zona colonial) as it is near to almost everything that you would need. This place i know is an apartment-hotel own by an american and run by him and his wife that most of their tenants are mainly from the usa, very secured and safe with all included, internet, cable and rooms services a few days a week. Pm me if need more information regarding this place

please SEND info on this place

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
Gazcue is very over priced. The streets are awfully broken up, the streets are littered with prostitutes after dark, there is no decent supermarket and it is very noises and dirty. For a nice 1 bed apartment, I have seen them advertised for around RD650 per month.

mewookin

Jan 28, 2011
I have stayed in gazcue 5 or 6 times when on vacation. Never had any problems there. I actually like it better than Zona Colonial

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
I don't know if "Jeancris" is, or NOT.
But if he IS, I AGREE!!!!!!
Relax, EVERYTHING, Isn't About YOU!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Relax?
Please explain. My post was not about me, it was about Gazcue, and if you agree my post is not accurate then please direct me to the points that are not accurate.
Is indepencia and the side streets not littered with cheap 5buck whores after 10pm? Do the pavements not resemble those of a war zone, holes, rebar, 6 inch cracks, risen ledges? Is there a supermarket Cadena? Really? ( it is so small I hardly notice it, sorry of I have the name mixed uwhich doesn't really qualify), and are there not serious dumping and general filth issues? (Yes the rest of the city has these issues but not at the same price as gazcue, exactly my reasoning behind the comment about it being over priced) And is a one bed roomed apartment not usually around $650, at least?
The state of Gazcue, I am being kind, but please correct me.

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
Isn't Gazcue where people tell peeps to rent? I know nothing about the area but I swear people go on and on about what a great area it is on Dr1?!

St Bernard do you mean $650US? or 6500 pesos? If it is 650 RD a month I may move on down there and rent my Casa!!

That is my point, people talk it up, but it is over priced, massively.
No RD650$ US at least unless your living in a shoe box.
Gazcue lives off its reputation and not off of the reality of what it is really like. I can't see where anyone can argue anything I have stated with me, if you can I welcome comment, but quote me.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
There is a very nice area and very very cheap over by Carrefour, right across the major hwy of the same street that Digital TV in on..Sorry, cannot remember the name of the sector/town...Matter of fact, if I survive this Month I will be going back to SD and you will certainty find me where I advised or maybe Quiosqeuia close to Nunez and Sarasota or on Sarasota, another good area and cheap, but parts of Quisqueya can be ghetto...But hey, whats a few gun shots at night, kind of missed it! Kidding...Buit there are also the street walkers on Sarasota close to Churchill..

But again, I really love that area by Carrefour, most are gated to boot! Hey look!!! stores!! something that you don't see here in POP...If any one happens to know the name of the sector/town that I speak of, please post it...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The area near Carrefour (I suppose you mean Manoguayabo is a barrio! Completely different from Quisqueya, El Millon or even Gazcue. I don't really understand why people talk so good about gazcue, but it's basically only foreigners that do. Dominicans prefer Las Praderas, La Castellana, Los Prados, Los Cacicazgos, Evaristo Morales, some parts of El Millon, Bella Vista, etc. (if Naco and Piantini are out of budget).

Gazcue does make me feel being in Europe but then in parts where I wouldn't live in Europe.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bernie", save yourself a lot of time, money, and aggravation, just pack up and leave now, you ain't gonna make it here in the DR!
You can't separate the "Good", from the "Bad", and especially the "Ugly" here in the DR.
It's just like a good "San Cocho", a big mix of lots of different ingredients!!!
It "Tastes" much better that way!
You only want to only "EAT" the parts you like.
Forget THAT!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I've never lived in Gascue, but I think I easily could. It has a downtown Manhattan feel to it, kind of like Greenwich Village maybe. Maybe that's what attracts New Yorkers to it? I love a place where you can walk to almost everything. Yes, Independencia is like a parking lot most of the day, but to someone who grew up in NYC it almost feels like home, I don't really notice that sort of thing. There's a pastry shop near Mountainannie's place that we love to stop at, go out of our way actually.

Add a view of the Caribbean if your windows point in the right direction.....and what more could you ask?

Mr. AE would probably commit hari-kari if he lived there, even though he grew up a stone's throw from Gascue. He's all about land, space, farm animals, growing trees and vegetables.

Remember that old TV show "Green Acres"? That's us.

Green acres is the place for me.
Farm livin' is the life for me.
Land spreadin' out so far and wide
Keep Manhattan, just give me that countryside.

New York is where I'd rather stay.
I get allergic smelling hay.
I just adore a penthouse view.
Dah-ling I love you but give me Park Avenue.

...The chores.
...The stores.
...Fresh air.
...Times Square

You are my wife.
Good bye, city life.
Green Acres we are there.

source: Green Acres Lyrics - Theme Song Lyrics

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
AE is right - Gazcue does have a feel of the old Village - which is why I do feel at home here. There are really not so many foreigners here- plenty of furnished apartments for rent but I don't see so many foreigners. But I like it because it is walkable. And it is walkable because of the trees. True that the traffic is horrible - recently more so since they diverted the trucks from George Washington to Independencia and it sounds like I live under the Third Avenue Elevated - but they are, I hear, almost finished with the ring round from Haina so that should help.

But I love it because I can walk to everything - to the English library, the Malecon, the swimming pool, the Zona - and there are lots of little stores for everything that I really need for day to day life. True that the supermarket is small but it has everything I need - sometimes I go to the bigger stores and end up just spending more money on imported stuff that I do not really need.

But I guess a lot of folks like it because one can live without a car. Most of the rest of the city - except for the Zona - seems designed really for a life with a car - the scale is different and walking is difficult.

True about the sidewalks - they are a disaster and really need to be fixed. True too about the garbage and that is really an eyesore and needs to be fixed - As for the hookers - well, I am not out walking that late at night but there are lots of hotels here so I guess they go where the clients are, right? Hookers don't really bother me. But more street lights would be great.

But I guess what gives the neighborhood its character is the old trees and the fact that most of the buildings are under 5 stories.