Christmas duty free

enacam

Jul 14, 2009
Can anyone advise me if the new $3000 tax free allocation for Dominicans returning home for christ:laugh:mas applies to all people including tourists or just Dominican citizens.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
US$3,000 in gifts

The Department of Customs has announced an increase in the duty free allowance for Dominicans returning to the DR for the Christmas holidays this year. The limit is now set at US$3,000 for Dominicans who return from 15 November to 7 January, says Customs director Rafael Camilo. This is up from last season's U$2,000 limit and represents an extension of the previous 1 December-7 January period. Camilo made the announcement during an interview with journalist Cesar Medina on Channel 9's 'Hoy mismo' show

Last edited:

enacam

Jul 14, 2009
Donluis the report you posted is what prompted my question. I will be returning in November and am wondering if i am able to bring in the same amount as "Gifts"

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have heard of tourists getting away with bringing items back and not being taxed, but that also happens every day of the week. The allowance is supposed to be only for people that reside out of the country return during the holidays.