Mudanzas

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am shipping quite a bit of furniture in two large crates to RD.

The crates are pre-fab and are from
Shipping Crates from Quick-Crate | Stackable Wooden Crates | Reusable or One Way Shipping Crates .

If you give them the dimensions of what you're shipping they will help selecting a standard size or can custom build one for you.
There is a standard crate for motorcycles.

My crates were 94"x47"x47" --- not small.
The crates alone were 400lbs each - deadweight.
~$300 each

I had a mover wrap and pack the furniture.
I sent a BBQ, chairs, tables, paintings - the works !! (no kitchen sink)

I shipped them to Awilda in Queens.
Any shipper will work.

The shipping price was $1000 per crate. Not cheap.

But considering what i sent and the cost of purchase in RD - if I could find what i wanted - cheaper than repurchasing.

Its all our own stuff, memories included , no charge.

Weight doesn't matter to these mudanzas, just bulk.

I expect a motorcycle would be similar freight/cost, etc

Perhaps this information will help somebody.

Door to door = 3 weeks:laugh:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Awesome info! Could you elaborate more on what exactly you put into the crate? Maybe a detail of each item. You mention tables, just how many, etc. I want to do a mudanza and was quoted at $8,000US door to door; maybe this way will be cheaper? Would you say that your TOTAL cost for this crate was $300 crate + $1000 shipping = $1300 or was there any other costs?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Awesome info! Could you elaborate more on what exactly you put into the crate? Maybe a detail of each item. You mention tables, just how many, etc. I want to do a mudanza and was quoted at $8,000US door to door; maybe this way will be cheaper? Would you say that your TOTAL cost for this crate was $300 crate + $1000 shipping = $1300 or was there any other costs?

He said $300 EACH for crates, $1000 EACH for crate shipment - $2,600. Now, the question is did he pay the moving company $1,000 to pack the furniture and ship to Awilda, then how much does Awilda charge for shipping on her end to the DR? Hope WW chimes in to clarify this for us. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
He said $300 EACH for crates, $1000 EACH for crate shipment - $2,600. Now, the question is did he pay the moving company $1,000 to pack the furniture and ship to Awilda, then how much does Awilda charge for shipping on her end to the DR? Hope WW chimes in to clarify this for us. :)

Chiming in....

Yup, $1300 each crate

Yup, paid the moving company to pack - in my case it was $350 - their minimum charge.
You could do it yourself if you wanted
They came to my house, wrapped it and took it to their warehouse for packing

Then you need to get those crates to NYC...
Again, you pay a shipper or you rent a truck yourself

Where are you? That dictates the costs.
Between Phila/Wash and NYC there are plenty of companies that go 2-3 times a day.

Awilda charged the $1000 for door to door..
From Queens to Cabrera... not from Phila but the RD end is included
They pick up in closer locales.. not PHL.. but they go to Princeton NJ

Lisa,
my goods were many !!

A big armoire, 2 large armchairs, chest of drawers, drum table, side chairs, various tables and shelves.
BBQ from Lowes (in its original box @ 125lbs).
Various incidentals - anything you want.
Equivalent ot a one bedroom apartment - minus the beds

This is 250 cu ft of furniture -- a lot !!

And no tax !!

So, to summarize

Crates $600
Pack $350
Ship to Cabrera $2000

Nyc ship depends on where you are or where your mudanza is

This is all done after my residency/tax free arrival
The mudanza cost includes the no tax entry.. a factor that cannot be overlooked.

Any more questions ---- shoot!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Refrigerator

Shipping prices from Awilda

$350 = used side by side style
$450 = new side by side sytle

Less for regular, top bottom style

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I ship out of NYC - Queens actually.
I live in Philadelphia some of the time and either drive my shipment there or ship it.
The easiest thing is to buy at Lowes or some other - take the free shipping offer and have it sent to Awilda.
They then will tell you the cost to ship and take it from there.

They ar only in NYC
I'm about to try Perlata from Toronto - have heard good things.
I spend time in Canada too.

Good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
A NEW RECORD

My shipment left Jan 3 and arrived in 13 days at my door.
A patio umbrella, various kitchen gadgets and a load of LED bulbs.
4 boxes in all.

My friend shipped 3 large mattresses at the same time ($100 each) which arrived also.

The docks must have little activity these days after Christmas.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, thats the one. I forget my contact's name but he helped me with the packing logistics and we eliminated one crate.

Got it down from 3 to 2.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Great job!
Do you organize all this the buying of the furniture, crate, shipping the crate to shipper etc from the DR or from the states?
By phone or online?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was in the US but you could phone or e-mail from RD.

You need to pack it so sooner / later you'll be in th US

The crate company ships it flat - you assemble it , pack it and ship it to the mudanza

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
William, so basically the logistics are...

Order crate from company.
They ship it to you.
You assemble it.
Awilda comes to you and they protect your stuff.
They take it to Queens to be put on boat.
Yes?

I have my stuff in Long Island, Brentwood.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
WW, looking at that crate I can't see how it's opened...seems pretty heavy duty.

Could you find out from your shipper if they had to open it at the docks to inspect it? I could see them damaging this crate trying to get it open.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
WW, looking at that crate I can't see how it's opened...seems pretty heavy duty.

Could you find out from your shipper if they had to open it at the docks to inspect it? I could see them damaging this crate trying to get it open.

go to the instruction video on the website - very easy to do, both open and close.

the dock may have opened it, I can't say but they usually take a peek just keep to keep things honest.

this is the one time use crate using particle board instead of plywood. yes, its strong.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
William, so basically the logistics are...

Order crate from company.
They ship it to you.
You assemble it.
Awilda comes to you and they protect your stuff.
They take it to Queens to be put on boat.
Yes?

I have my stuff in Long Island, Brentwood.

Yup, thats it. I used a shipper to get to Awlida from Pila b/c we neeed dock heightto load the crate.

It was offloaded at Awlda in Queens hydraulicallybt from then on was manual.
It was offloaded here in Cabrera by hand - really heavy. Thcrate is close to 300lbs or more , then the load.Two of them !!!

Once it leaves you, its in their control and you can list everything inside - you shouldjust to keep track and to prove if anything goes wrong.

I'm about 3 years with these people and not a glitch yet (just shoot me for saying that out loud )

Use my name with Jennifer. I keep suggesting they advertise here

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Yup, thats it. I used a shipper to get to Awlida from Pila b/c we neeed dock heightto load the crate.

It was offloaded at Awlda in Queens hydraulicallybt from then on was manual.
It was offloaded here in Cabrera by hand - really heavy. Thcrate is close to 300lbs or more , then the load.Two of them !!!

Once it leaves you, its in their control and you can list everything inside - you shouldjust to keep track and to prove if anything goes wrong.

I'm about 3 years with these people and not a glitch yet (just shoot me for saying that out loud )

Use my name with Jennifer. I keep suggesting they advertise here

How much do you think it would have ran you should you have decided to ship everything without the container?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How much do you think it would have ran you should you have decided to ship everything without the container?

I couldn't imagine doing w/o the container. I had chairs, tables, bottles of Clamato.
How do you strap 3 chairs together.?

I do this a lot - I plan it and , so far, no troubles.

Shipping by sea is all about volume, not weight.

Singularly would be suicide.
My furniture would be loose in the shipment = broken legs, etc.

This box secured everything and protected it.

A one by one shipment never crossed my mind b/c you can't wedge things together.
Piece by piece would be much more costly IMO and more peligroso.

This was DENSE packing in there to eleiminate shifting in transit.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
I'm really starting to consider doing this for my move in the summer, William, just a couple more questions,for you...

1) you mentioned something about not paying any taxes, did awilda help you with this?
2) could you put TVs in those crates?
3) how much did the local truck guy charge you to deliver it to awilda in queens?
4) how much does the crate company charge to ship the crate to your door?

Thanks.