Newspapers with highest circulation in the DR?

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
What are the newpapers with the highest circulation in the DR? What about SD and Santiago separately?

Thanks.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I cannot recall a Dominican ever reading a newspaper other than to check the lottery numbers so I cannot imagine big circulation numbers. Listen Diario seems pretty popular here.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My brother-in-law and mother-in-law read Listin Diario of back to front every day. When their cousin comes over for lunch, he also reads the newspaper. They also read the local Jarabacoa news...etc. Lots of Dominicans read the newspapers.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Off the top of my head, Listin Diario, El Nacional, Diario Libre, El Caribe, Hoy and El Caribe. Not that I read any of them...lol

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The most read paper in the Dominican Republic is the Diario Libre. It is read by more than twice as many people as the Listin Diario, the former number one paper.
Since Diario Libre is free for the taking and is also home delivered(!) a whole lot of people read it. They also have a special, smaller edition that is distributed on the Metro which is handy for "strap hangers".

The classifieds of the Listin are by far the best, but I have not seen the Diario Libre classifieds for Santo Domingo, just the four, sometimes eight pages in the edition shipped to Santiago.

In Santiago, La Informaci?n is the local paper, and read by the people who count, sometimes to see that their mugs were inthe paper and sometimes to read the gossip...They are famous for their typos. One of the latest was a 72 point headline that started with Albet Pujols......

Anything else??? Remember, 65% of Dominicans are functionally illiterate. They do not read newspapers. In a nation with way over 9 million people, less than 400,000 newspapers are printed each day, and over a quarter of them are Diario Libre.

HB

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I think Diario Libre and El Caribe are the only two newspapers that are audited by a third party (some company from Argentina). All other papers can claim to have a circulation of X size, but... this is important for any thinking of buying advertising space.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In a nation with way over 9 million people, less than 400,000 newspapers are printed each day, and over a quarter of them are Diario Libre.

HB
Readership, although relatively low, is probably twice as much, since newspapers are usually read by more than one person. That's how Diario Libre became of the most popular newspapers read in the afternoon, despite Diario Libre prints and distribute their products in the mornings, not afternoons.

There are other factors that have to be taken into account in that comparison, since the country's population does includes babies, kids, the incarcerated population, the blind; in short, people that don't read papers in any society.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Readership, although relatively low, is probably twice as much, since newspapers are usually read by more than one person. That's how Diario Libre became of the most popular newspapers read in the afternoon, despite Diario Libre prints and distribute their products in the mornings, not afternoons.

There are other factors that have to be taken into account in that comparison, since the country's population does includes babies, kids, the incarcerated population, the blind; in short, people that don't read papers in any society.

good points, NALS. all of that being said, Dominicans do not do too much reading of newspapers. it is just like their use of computers..facebook, youtube, chat rooms, video cameras. very little research of academic matters.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read hoy, el national and listin diario, because we sell them in the pharmacy. oh, and el caribe, coz we seem to get that one free. normally hoy sells first.
misspelled words are very common but what i remember most was an article on aids in listin diario where they wrote BIH. i choked :)

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
What are the newpapers with the highest circulation in the DR? What about SD and Santiago separately?

Thanks.

In the DR there's an independent institution in charge of keeping tabs on the circulation of the printed press. This institution is the Circulation Audit Office *Instituto Verificador de Circulaciones (IVC). The IVC is a member of the International Federation of Audit Bureaus of Circulations (IFABC) based in Switzerland.

The circulation figures are available to anyone who requests it to the Institute. Not all the printed media opted in to be certified by the IVC in the DR. Most of the oldest and largest papers do runs above 100,000 a day, the medium ones go about 50,000 and the smaller ones can go from 25,000 to as little as 500 per day.

On the other hand, Dominican papers are very, very interactive in circulation based on demand from the week before. You can find that on some weeks the papers run very low in the news stands and during others they seem a lot in supply.

The internet is killing the printed media faster than they can find ways to attract new readers in the DR, just like it's happening elsewhere the net is becoming more the norm...

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Why would a Dominican read a newspaper when all they have to do is turn on the TV and somebody is reading the newspaper to them? I once asked a Dominican here in USA why her family didn't watch the news on the Spanish channels. Her reply was that they use too many big words.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Like I said: 65% of this population is functionally illiterate! If it is not on "El Gobierno de la Ma?ana" or "El Gobierno de la Tarde" or one of the "talking heads" that jabber on without any real knowledge, it is not news. If Alicia or Nuria does not publicize it, it is not news.

HB

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i can tell you what sells papers here: murder. a good juicy murder on a front page - with pictures - and the papers gets snatched from the stands in an instant.
hence pichardo's "differences in circulation".

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Why would a Dominican read a newspaper when all they have to do is turn on the TV and somebody is reading the newspaper to them? I once asked a Dominican here in USA why her family didn't watch the news on the Spanish channels. Her reply was that they use too many big words.

This statement is dog/cow/house and donkey poopoo that KenoshaChris pulled out his Axx.

The majority of Latinos in the U.S. are uneducated Mexicans and Central Americans and they watch the news in Spanish. Those who prefer to watch the news in English are those raised/born here in the U.S. and hence English is their preferred language.

If they can't understand the big words in Spanish how on Earth are they going to understand the big words in English!!!!!!!

I want to go to a Dominican household here in the U.S. where they are not watching Telemundo or Univision! I can find their kids raised here watching English TV, but not their parents. The "Novelas" use bigger words in Spanish than the news media here in the U.S. So are you saying that Dominican here don't watch Novelas??????

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the DR there's an independent institution in charge of keeping tabs on the circulation of the printed press. This institution is the Circulation Audit Office *Instituto Verificador de Circulaciones (IVC). The IVC is a member of the International Federation of Audit Bureaus of Circulations (IFABC) based in Switzerland.

The circulation figures are available to anyone who requests it to the Institute. Not all the printed media opted in to be certified by the IVC in the DR. Most of the oldest and largest papers do runs above 100,000 a day, the medium ones go about 50,000 and the smaller ones can go from 25,000 to as little as 500 per day.

On the other hand, Dominican papers are very, very interactive in circulation based on demand from the week before. You can find that on some weeks the papers run very low in the news stands and during others they seem a lot in supply.

The internet is killing the printed media faster than they can find ways to attract new readers in the DR, just like it's happening elsewhere the net is becoming more the norm...

PICHARDO is right when he says that the internet is killing printed media in the DR. it is killing print media, the world over. that is why some bookstores have gone out of business. in the DR, the internet has replaced the printed comics...it is strictly for entertainment, where the masses are concerned. facebook, youtube, chat rooms, videocam...