Rant about Claro

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I've always said you don't hear from the happy people....I've been in PC for 74 days now and for the most part it's been smooth sailing.

I use Claro 3g Wifi stick and I purchased 30 days/3g. Well, due to Netflix usage I burned up my 3g's right away and when I went to re-up, I was told I had to wait until the 30 days was up or call the pre-pago service. So I did that, and told them that it was pretty silly for me to have to wait until the 30 days was up since I was willing to pay them more money TODAY to get more service TODAY as I had work to do....TODAY. They told me they would fix it.

Anyway that was 5 days ago. I have been back to the office twice and they were having technical difficulties and couldn't help me. Finally today I paid for three more days of service but was told once again that I needed to wait until the 30 days was up or call the pre-pago service. Which I did.

The lady told me that I had to wait until October 24 and I told her that was silly, because I needed to use the service TODAY to do work TODAY and not only that I had paid for three days TODAY. Then she told me that all that was needed was activation of the service. I asked how to activate, since i had already called once to fix things a few days back and I assumed it was ready to go. She told me she could do that for me. I told her go ahead, and then wait until I connected to see if it worked.

Well, she hung up on me...clearly it worked as I am posting this rant....it's a pain to get internet that works here.

Anyway rant for the day. My cold isn't helping my mood. Feel free to commiserate, tell me I am doing something wrong, or provide a better solution. Last night I went in to work until 830 to get stuff done. Which is fine...but I like working from home in my pj's.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Orange is much better for this. You can pay money up front and use it when you want. I don't know if they limit downloads or not. But if they do it will just go to the next 24 hour period. Also it is faster. But you need a good signal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I used my Claro stick for months earlier this year - unlimited usage for about $2500RD monthly. Are they no longer offering that?

AE

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I have Viva in this area and so far I'm happy with it (on my 4th month). 3.1mbps speed with unlimited downloads for around RD$1,800 a month. Only detail is that it's a 18 month (I think) contract so if you're not looking for something that permanent, that might be an issue. Signal is quite good, very constant and more than adequate so far for my needs...

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
I used my Claro stick for months earlier this year - unlimited usage for about $2500RD monthly. Are they no longer offering that?

AE
Sure they are , I just got one a month ago, 2 year contract, unlimited useage.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We didn't have a contract either MaineGirl, because we're only there months at a time. Once a month we had to go in and pay
for the next month. The last payment was only for 3 weeks because we were leaving, if I remember correctly they charged us RD$700 per week. Unlimited access.

AE

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
OH, you want a Claro rant? I can give you a Claro rant.

Basically, I had a 1800 peso phone bill, and I wanted to contest 30 pesos. I was willing to pay the rest, but didn't think I should pay a late charge because the messenger didn't deliver the bill.

The supervisor came over and told me that since I am not Dominican, I don't understand business here. It was obvious I had thrown the bill away so I wouldn't have to pay it. (Apparently he didn't understand when I said it was only the 30 pesos I didn't want to pay.)

Ended up calling the company hotline and actually dealt with someone nice. She was so nice that I asked to speak with her supervisor so that I could compliment her. And I made a complaint about the totally not-customer-friendly jerk who supervises the office in Bani.

If I could take my phone number with me (like in the US), I would change companies.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
these stories are childs play to pretty much every experience ive ever had with claro. Ive had their employees go on literally 10 minute elaborate lies to avoid doing 10 seconds worth of honest work.Repeatedly. Want good customer service? Move to another country.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
while claro cuts you off after hitting the download limit, orange just throttles you down somewhat, so it's a better option for you. If you need this for work, I'd get an orange stick as well as a backup (prepaid on a daily basis) and only use it when Claro service is out.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They'll always be Jodetel

The company came into existence as Codetel many moons ago.

Then they advertised 'Verizon technology' (with Dominican cusromer service implied)

Then they changed the name to Verizon.

Then they changed the name back to Codetel.

Then an evil man from Mexico who doesn't miss many meals stepped in and bought the company.

111j7kw.jpg

He changed the name to Claro and gutted the customer service. :dead:

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
As of around a year ago, you can. You pay a fee and can transfer your phone number to another company.

That's great news. Thanks for that.

So, to which company should I switch? I need good coverage in the south. Any suggestions are welcome.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You probably want to switch to Claro.

Ummmm, Claro is the problem. Are they any companies with reliable coverage in the south and even somewhat adequate customer service? Or at least customer service that isn't insulting would be fine.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Umm.. I think you missed my point. lol

Claro is about as good as you're going to get..

Actually, I was really, really afraid that was your point and hoping I had an alternative.

It's the darn poor customer service that drives me up the wall. At least at the office level. The phone service is getting good.