Our First Tarantula

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I'm not a big fan of spiders.

Last night, in the dark, I was walking a friend to the gate. I thought I saw a handprint, or Toby's footprint or something on the wall. So I flipped on the gate light switch and...

Holy Mother of Pearl...

The biggest spider I have ever seen. Yeah, I know, they are everywhere...but I've never seen one before. Got the camera and snapped a few pics...and kept the very curious dogs away.

I think this guy has seen a few battles judging by his (?) missing parts.

That's a switch cover to understand the size:

Taran2Small.jpg

Red highlights:

Taran1Small.jpg

Quite the surprise and we wished him on his way...

Aug 21, 2007
How long have you lived here? Can't believe this is your first, Cobraboy!

Usually each year, I have two or three in my house!

I walk my dogs in the early morning and regularly- several times a week- see dead tarantulas in the street.

I am arachnophobic. I live alone. So usually, when I find one, my screams bring on the neighbors and security guards who believe I am being robbed. However, recently an old lady told me to use mental telepathy to get rid of them.

Last visit from a tarantula about a month ago, after doing the usual spider dance, then getting out the broom to use a hockey move on it, then getting out the bucket to attempt the catch and release method, I finally decided to try her advice.

I thought, "You don't belong in my house, Miss Tarantula. It is a dangerous place for you. Either I will kill you or my dogs will...." (Didn't reveal that, first, I might have a coronary episode.....)

Wouldn't you know.....the spider turned around and creeped out the door.

And I am living to tell about it!!!

Lindsey

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
LK, they creep me out...:eek:

Nobody up here ever says anything about them...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Yes, they creep me out, too. Thus, the screams and spider dance.......

Lindsey
I noticed the dogs wanted nothing to do with him. They look curious but not too curious.

I laughed about your telepathic powers...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Do not have a long conversation with them. Certain tarantulas, when they get cross, pull the hairs out of their bottom and throw them at you like a dart. They then itch like fibreglass.

Matilda

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
do not have a long conversation with them. Certain tarantulas, when they get cross, pull the hairs out of their bottom and throw them at you like a dart. They then itch like fibreglass.

Matilda
what?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!?!
:eek::eek::eek:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
~Met my first hairy beast underneath my kitchen sink this past April, I thought someone placed a fake rubber spider under their as a joke.....well the joke was on me because the darn thing wasn't remote contolled as it came towards me like a flash....if i could leap on the counter I would have....but the worst part isssssss.............the damn thing disappeared like a ghost.....only to reappear about 30 minutes later on my wall by the ceiling.....got out the long range insect killer and pulled the trigger....it took what felt like a lifetime, but he finally succome to the spray....needless to say I checked every inch of the house thereafter even under the covers of my bed....just incase....YIKES;P

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
.got out the long range insect killer and pulled the trigger....it took what felt like a lifetime, but he finally succome to the spray...

Oh no!! The poor thing!! Now you will have lots of cockroaches!! You killed the wrong one!!

Please do not kill them.

Yeah, I know, they are scary looking, but they do so much good...

HB

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
They're only poisonous to humans in Tierra del Fuego.
They're great friends, can be kept in a terrarium and trained to do tricks.
But better to leave them thrive, because they eat mosquitos and their larvae, and other enemies of humans.
They can live to 25 years, have up to 500 eggs at a time and live in holes in stumps, the ground, etc.

Spicedwine

Apr 25, 2006
I can relate to doing the spider dance... however in nearly 5 years, we have only encountered one Tarantula.. and apparently our security guard dislikes them because he whacked it before anyone could stop him... so since then I don't point out anything that might scare him!!!

I am not a fan of creepy crawlers, but do appreciate the balance they provide, so am learning to live and let live.. the cat I can do nothing about as she is part of the balance.

However, I did find the movements of this beast to be as described..... very quick and seems like they have a radar... I don't run that fast anymore, but my feet didn't fail me the night I encountered my first and so far only Tarantula....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree with HB, cacatas are the cutest thing. whatever kills mosquitos wins my heart, full stop.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Oh ye of little faith!! This from Wikipedia:

Besides the normal "hairs" covering the body, some tarantulas also have a dense covering of irritating hairs called urticating hairs, on the opisthosoma, that they sometimes use as protection against enemies.[6] These hairs are present on new-world species but not on specimens from the Old World.
Urticating hairs are usually kicked off the abdomen by the tarantula, but it is noteworthy that some may simply rub the abdomen against the target, such is so with the Avicularia genera. These fine hairs are barbed and serve to irritate. They can be lethal to small animals such as rodents. Some people are extremely sensitive to these hairs, and develop serious itching and rashes at the site. Exposure of the eyes and respiratory system to urticating hairs should be strictly avoided. Species with urticating hairs can kick these hairs off: they are flicked into the air at a target using their back pairs of legs. Tarantulas also use these hairs for other purposes such as to mark territory or to line their shelters (the latter such practice may discourage flies from feeding on the spiderlings). Urticating hairs do not grow back, but are replaced with each moult. The intensity, amount, and flotation of the hairs depends on the species of tarantula. Many[who?] owners of Goliath Birdeaters (T. blondi) claim that theraphosids have the worst urticating hairs.[citation needed].
To predators and other kinds of enemies, these hairs can range from being lethal to simply being a deterrent. With humans, they can cause irritation to eyes, nose, and skin, and more dangerously, the lungs and airways, if inhaled. The symptoms range from species to species, from person to person, from a burning itch to a minor rash. In some cases, tarantula hairs have caused permanent damage to human eyes.[7]

Before biting, tarantulas may signal their intention to attack by rearing up into a "threat posture", which may involve raising their prosoma and lifting their front legs into the air, spreading and extending their fangs, and (in certain species) making a loud hissing by stridulating. Their next step, short of biting, may be to slap down on the intruder with their raised front legs. If that response fails to deter the attacker, the tarantulas of the Americas may next turn away and flick urticating hairs toward the pursuing predator.

New-world tarantulas (those found in North and South America) are equipped with urticating hairs on their abdomen, and will almost always throw these barbed hairs as a first line of defense. These hairs will irritate sensitive areas of the body and especially seem to target curious animals who may sniff these hairs into the mucous membranes of the nose. Some species have more effective urticating hairs than others. The Goliath Birdeater is one species known for its particularly irritating urticating hairs. Urticating hairs can penetrate the cornea so eye protection should be worn when handling such tarantulas.[

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
So, after reading Matilda's informative post, I now know that the first thing I should do if I spot a tarantula is put on my glasses!

Of course, then I will use my mental telepathy to tell it to please leave.

Lindsey

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I don't want to kill them.

I'm A-OK living in peaceful co-existence around the house...unless a creature wants to do me harm. (cockroaches, flies, wasps, rats, etc.)

But they creep the hell out of me.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
.got out the long range insect killer and pulled the trigger....it took what felt like a lifetime, but he finally succome to the spray...

Oh no!! The poor thing!! Now you will have lots of cockroaches!! You killed the wrong one!!

Please do not kill them.

Yeah, I know, they are scary looking, but they do so much good...

HB

~I didn't know that at the time, nor think of that when it came at me, I was only acting on pure defense instinct, those suckers move lighting fast and when it disappeared I freaked out, when I caught it out of the corner of my eye as I was taking a rest on the couch I pounced into action.....I will defend my self next time with a broom or whatever I can assist it outta da casa with....lol....

I know they are great for the environment and keep many critters away flying and crawling...even other spiders...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Lets just say that I used to be afraid of the spiders in Canada until I met the Dominican ones. On my first visit to my then new boyfriend Raul, I was taking a shower and discovered I wasn't alone... I screamed so loud he came running into the bathroom and flung the shower door open and found me full of soap hiding in the corner of the shower refusing to move until he rescued me from the palm sized off white colored monster lurking in the window. After that I met the giant flying cochroaches and a giant brown spider shaped like a weird bow tie that walked sideways like a crab... looked like something that belonged in a Tim Burton film. I think I broke the sound barrier when I saw that one. Raul developed anxiety after this thanks to me. He said things like are you trying to kill me? Oh, but the table turned when I discovered his irrational fear of frogs which I have no qualms about picking up after having a few drinks.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I don't want to kill them.

I'm A-OK living in peaceful co-existence around the house...unless a creature wants to do me harm. (cockroaches, flies, wasps, rats, etc.)

But they creep the hell out of me.

Raul didn't want to kill them either, spiders, cockroaches, bugs etc... but when given the choice of spending the night in the bedroom with me or in the back yard with the frogs and mosquitos... he killed the bugs... or sometimes caught them and released them outside with the frogs and mosquitos... I allowed the geckos to spend the night in the house with us because they eat the bugs I don't like... so I consider them allies.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
cobraboy, i think your tarantula is as big as the tiny rat that scared me in my house. wait till you see a real tarantula, the size of your hand. I have seen quite a few of them in puerto plata and one in santiago. I, accidently, crushed one by my scooter tire when i lived in costambar. That was a huge one, maybe 3 times the size you had on your wall. Once I saw one in santiago and all friends of badpiece jumped out of the car to capture it with bare hands. It seemed like these guys were playing with death. then again, nothing scare them, they are friends of badpiece.
AZB