Property search, fishing

coled251

Oct 14, 2011
My wife and I are coming to DR the beginning of Nov, in search of a piece of property (paradise). We will be looking around Sosua and Cabarete. We want in the hills close to ocean. Also, is the diving good on the n. coast.not talking about the tourist spots, im talking about off shore. Spear fishing and off shore fishing..We want to be in the part of the country that has great fishing....Thank you.

Aug 21, 2007
Lots of great places to live here. Right now is the time to buy. Diving is okay. I see lots of Dominicans spear fishing off shore. You need to come see and try it for yourself.

Good luck.

Lindsey

coled251

Oct 14, 2011
thank you....has property values come down any lately...we have been looking for awhile now and it seeems pretty high...we are from north carolina, values are down alot here..what area should i be looking in. thanks

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Opposite the Texaco station in Sosua there is a road that goes up the hill past Hispaniola development. At the top there are a bunch of lots for sale and three or four houses under construction. Nice area, rains run downhill, good breezes, less mosquitoes and bugs in general. No, I have no connection other than living in the neighborhood. The street name is Camino Llibre although its not posted anywhere. As far as the spearfishing on the North Coast there are good days with clear water but you need some time without rain as the run off ruins the viz for a few days. They have fixed the boat ramp so you can launch a small boat. There are fish here. Even snorkeling off Sosua beach I have seen 3-5 pound yellowtail snapper just outside the beach reef.

Oct 11, 2010
The fishing here on the North Coast is great if you know what you're doing and where to fish, plenty of areas to fish with very few other boats around. I've had my boat here in the North Coast for years and enjoy excellent fishing pretty much all year long. There is plenty of bottom structure for bottom fishing as well as great offshore action (tuna, marlin, sailfish, dorado, wahoo, etc.)

Sos?a and Cabarete have plenty of properties available. Up in the hills behind Los Charamicos (Sos?a) the views are unbelievable and always a cool breeze at night.

Come on down, look around, you'll find something you like for sure, just do your "homework".

Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look in the DR1 Classifieds: Property for Sale...

Look at Punta Rucia...it is quiet, now has communications via Orange, and the fishing is pretty good...

HB

coled251

Oct 14, 2011
This is my home work...Thanks a bunch..I live on the atlantic ocean in north carolina...I have a 28' scout boat..i fish and dive 6 months out of the year..tuna dolphin wahoo.grouper....but we here have to go atleast 60 miles out for the tune and wahoo...how far off DR coast do you fish? Is there a marina near Sosua or Cabarete? Is this a good place to live? I will be riding around with a real Estate lady for a couple of days.....Thanks so much.
'

Aug 21, 2007
The big question? Live is Sosua.....Where is the marina.....????

Everything comes at a cost.

However, in a small boating community on the North Coast there IS a marina. Luperon. From my understanding, all the boater-types of people the OP must be used to are there. However, it is NOT a resort town with lots of expats, a good grocery store, plenty of restaurants, etc.

It would be great if some of the Luperson residents would post here.....

Anyway, can't have it all.......

Lindsey

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Hey coled251, check out my listing in DR1 real estate listings. Or click Finca to see lots of pics of some beautiful land that I am selling between Sosua and Cabarete. Spectacular ocean and mountain views. I have lots from 2 acres to 37 acres. I'm offering financing with 5% down payment and 5.9% interest. Check it out.
This is my home work...Thanks a bunch..I live on the atlantic ocean in north carolina...I have a 28' scout boat..i fish and dive 6 months out of the year..tuna dolphin wahoo.grouper....but we here have to go atleast 60 miles out for the tune and wahoo...how far off DR coast do you fish? Is there a marina near Sosua or Cabarete? Is this a good place to live? I will be riding around with a real Estate lady for a couple of days.....Thanks so much.
'

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The current closest Marina is at Ocean World near Puerto Plata. It is a $$$$ kind of place to keep your a boat. Luperon is the kind of place where people ask the question, "How many bench warrants are out on the people that live there?" I am of course exaggerating, but Luperon is a "funky" location for hard core sailors.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Look for posts by "palaut" and then send him a PM...you might strike gold...not kidding.
His books on sailing the waters around here are masterpieces of knowledge sharing.

Also, talk to "Ken" about things boaty, since he had one here for years. There is a lot of stuff that seems to jump up and bite you in the axx when it come to boats.
HB

My people say that 17 miles or less there is tuna. Here they use mats made of palm fronds to lure the little fishies...and the bigger ones come to dine...

Sohrab

Oct 1, 2010
With all due respect, I learn a lot here from our knowledgeable forum members, but I have a couple of basic questions:
Do you speak any Spanish? Fish down here don?t understand any English.
Are you planning to bring your beautiful Scout here? If yes, how?

Oct 11, 2010
'

I keep my boat moored right here in Sos?a Bay not in a marina. I can walk to the beach and head out fishing whenever I want. Plus I can see my boat from where I have an apartment, so it is more convenient than keeping it in the marina. The closest marina is Ocean World in Cofresi which is about 1/2 hour from Sos?a. It's a beautiful marina and the prices are reasonable and negotiable, but they have very few marine services at the marina itself. No travel lift, no onsight marine mechanics or an extensive selection of marine supplies.

I fish up in New York all summer and we travel anywhere from 50 to 100 miles offshore to get to the tuna, marlin, dolphin, etc. Here on the north coast of the DR we have the lines in 300 yards off the beach. I've caught hundreds of dolphin and wahoo this distance from shore. Also the depth drops off very quickly so 300 yards off the beach can be anywyere from 100 feet of depth to 800+ feet. There is amazing bottom structure here. A good depth sounder is invaluable.

90% of the fishing here on the North coast is within 10 miles of shore. Most of the larger tuna (yellowfin) and marilin (mostly blue, some whites) are from 2 to 10 miles out. Last two weeks my mate had three yellowfin over 130lbs. All season up in New York I didn't get one yellowfin over 100 lbs., although I have one shot left at the yellowfin in New York this season if I get the weather.

Sos?a and Cabarete are both great places to live, I've been coming down here for many years and although the North coast has undergone tremendous changes over the years, I still find this area my favorite spot to be in the DR.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Check out the Samana Peninsula

My wife and I are coming to DR the beginning of Nov, in search of a piece of property (paradise). We will be looking around Sosua and Cabarete. We want in the hills close to ocean. Also, is the diving good on the n. coast.not talking about the tourist spots, im talking about off shore. Spear fishing and off shore fishing..We want to be in the part of the country that has great fishing....Thank you.

Hi:

If you are staying in the Sosua area rent a car for a day or two and drive to Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. I have seen the local fishermen bring in Dorado(seabass), Chillo(whitefish), Snapper, Tuna, Crab, Lobster and Octopus. I don't think that they are going out very far. Most of their skiffs are very simple craft.
There is also a lot of fishing done in Samana Bay which is between the Peninsula and the mainland. The bay is over 35 miles long. Charter boats depart from the city dock in Samana. You can also hire fishing guides out of Las Galeras, which is located at the very far end of the Samana Peninsula.

S

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I guess that I'd like MikeI to comment.

I look at the information and think that a 24 foot open fishing boat that belongs in a small lake or river and going out 60 miles to fish is not advisable nor even close to being safe. Sosua as a harbor is a NOT for a larger boats nor any boat that can not be moved or hauled up onto safe sand. You need to be able to move them too safe harbor or beach them.

Ken and MikeI are your best guys if they wish to respond about boats.

Locals diving and spear fishing from my beach area on the North Coast as conditions permit and they do fine. 18 foot dingies do fine within 3 miles for smaller fish and a living for the locals.

As for all those that tell you what they find and a great life it is fishing and diving for a living on the north coast? BULL ****.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LTSteve, are not Dorado which is also known as Mahi-Mahi and Dophin fish not different than Sea Bass?

Conchman's family owns Sea World which has a Marian and could also be a source of information on his facilities and opinions on fishing and boating. Conchman is a poster on DR1.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Punta Rucia

Look in the DR1 Classifieds: Property for Sale...

Look at Punta Rucia...it is quiet, now has communications via Orange, and the fishing is pretty good...

HB

I have a couple of frieds who live there. They have told me that there is alot of problems with property titles and are very worried about it. There are also alot of B and E 's . It is a beautiful area but extra caution is required before purchasing.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
As for all those that tell you what they find and a great life it is fishing and diving for a living on the north coast? BULL ****.

I have been fishing on NY-DR Commuter's boat several times, and he knows the waters around Sosua, and where the fish are.
What's up with the BULL***, it is just the internet there ole boy.