Guard Dogs?

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
Anyone looking for a home for their good family dog who makes a great guard dog? Will consider a dog that is guard dog only as we definitely have the room to keep him/her away from the family.. Just we are realy big animal lovers so family dogs would be nice.. :)

I don't have a lot of money.. have no clue what they go for here.. We live in Barahona but can travel.. :)

Jen

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
I cant help you in your area, but if you are willing to travel, please go to Sosua, Judy at Judy's Pet Lodge, is extremely reliable, she has many dogs to choose from and is a trained Vet, she also ensures that her dogs are neutered and "bug free", and go to a good home. For a good clean dog you will only pay about $40 + whatever you wish to donate. Her contact details are;

Code:
http://www.aaasosua.com/sosua_dogs_judys.html

It really is worth the trip, however my recommendations are;

Take a doggie under 2 yrs old, then train them.

It is not so difficult, simple techniques, give them lots of love in the first month or less, until they know you will be kind to them (Many dogs in this country either live wild on the streets and Judy rescues them), or they come from very abusive situations. If they will accept within that time, or less, just simple pats and merely giving them their food, when you have their confidence, Dont auto put down the bowl of food after you gain their love and confidence, let them smell it, but delay actually putting down the bowl of food and give them lots of pats and good boy etc, whilst you are holding the food. Do this gradually and when you feel they know and will wait and obey. Then tell them sit, push their bum at the same time, so they reconcile the word sit, with the same action (Much easier with puppies but older will learn)

NEVER smack a doggie. They recognise the tone of any human's voice. Cruelty to animals and children are never accepted in my book. NEVER ever chastise a dog or a child in anger.

My last recommendation would be to choose a bitch. They will guard you and your family to the death. If you decide you cannot afford, nor travel the distance to Sosua, buy 1 from the streets and pay no more than 100RD, but take it to a Vet to find out info, once your new "baby" is clean and ok, it will be much easier to train.

NEVER ever let anyone give your doggie food or tipbits,,, only your immediate family that it is protecting.

One added point, please dont just have one doggie, they do get lonely and need company

Good luck and please post on here to keep me updated, I will leave my subscription to this thread open. This will also allow you to let me know if you need any further help.

Dec 21, 2008
I second adopting a dog from Judy's Pet Lodge.

She isn't a "vet". She's a vet technician originally from the US. Just wanted to clarify that point.

Also, as I am a volunteer there, I can let you know that the asking donation for a dog and/or puppy is $3800 RD. Definitely not $40 US as stated earlier. This doesn't even begin to cover the costs of looking after the animal that may have been there for sometime. She has at times negotiated the adoption fee but really, the money is for the aminals, food, shelter and medical care.

All animals that are older have had immunizations and have been spayed or neutered. They are treated monthly for fleas and ticks.

If you decide to adopt a dog, please don't buy one from the guys on the side of the road. This only encourages the puppy mill breeding and the puppies aren't always very healthy.

The dogs that Judy has are wonderful dogs. Once they bond with you, they are extremely loyal to you and make an excellent guard dog. We have a Dominican dog that is about seven months old and is well on his way to becoming quite vicious with people he doesn't know, yet seems to know who our friends are and accepts them in our home without question.

Good luck on your quest to find a faithful dog for your family!

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
Another vote for Judy's. I have 3 dogs from there and they are all wonderful. If, by chance, your dog doesn't work out she would rather you bring it back than get rid of it. She is extremely helpful with how to handle and care for your dog and her staff is as well. She is truly just concerned for the animals and is not looking to make money. The price you pay is truly just to cover the animal and it's care. Actually it doesn't even come close to covering the cost of some of the dogs because they need so much medical attention. One of my adoptees was in such a state when he came in. He was starved, had almost no hair, and was extremely insecure from being mistreated. Judy had him neutered, gave him medication and the food and love that he needed. He is a dog that will require some special care for the rest of his life. She always helps me out with his meds and is willing to see him if he needs anything. Today he is happy and healthy. He has a beautiful, full coat of hair and has gained about 35 pounds!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Mrs Silver Fox)I second adopting a dog from Judy's Pet Lodge. She isn't a "vet". She's a vet technician originally from the US. Just wanted to clarify that point. We have a Dominican dog that is about seven months old and is well on his way to becoming[U said:
quite vicious[/U] with people he doesn't know,... yet seems to know who our friends are and accepts them in our home without question."

Good Morning Mam, Dog training abc's are Correct them when they are wrong, Praise them when they are right, and Be consistent. Please be very careful in praising a dog who is " quite vicious" with some people. Dogs do not have magic radar about who is a bad guy. They interpret both your and the persons body language, tone of voice, and demeanor in order to make a defensive decision. Almost all dogs because of milliniums of selection whether pure bred or not have "guard" the pack alarm tendencies but most are so confused by owners that give mixed signals that they don't function properly. Be logical in your choices of praise or corrections. If the dog barks at someone coming to your house praise and do not allow too much social interaction with outsiders IF you want to develop the defense instincts. it is correct to use your voice or hand signals to direct actions and hitting is never necessary. There is a lot more stuff that is simple to do so get a book.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
There's also Animal Balance (located out here in Cabrera, Rio San Juan) if you're able to travel. We adopted 2 dogs from them, a non-profit organization that rescues, spays and neuters and cares for abandoned pets. They're absolutely some of the most wonderful, gentle, kind people people we've ever met and our 2 puppies are absolutely perfect little creatures...so loving, gentle, and perfect with our 5 year old daughter.

We paid nothing for our 2 puppies, Mabel and Whoopass (yes, Whoopass :) ) and they were brought to us spayed, clean, with all vaccinations and have brought us nothing but happiness. I'd HIGHLY recommend being in touch with Animal Balance; you're doing not only yourself the pleasure of a loving, wonderful and healthy pet you're also helping the 'stray' problem that's so rampant here in the DR.

PM me if you need any other help, and good luck! :D

Home

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live in Santo Domingo,and have a nice dog(YoYo) looking for a new home.He doesnt get along with "Rocky" the "Alfa Male" in our "pack"."YoYo" is a male about 8 months old.He plays with my little girls,and is a good watch dog to.He is about the size of a small German Shepard.He is VERY playful.If anyone would like to make "YoYo" part of your family,PM me.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
FYI a dog that likes to play and especially likes to fetch is an excellent choice as their pack drive is strong. Easy to train.

Jenny429

Oct 10, 2005
I am very interested.. I would also love to see a pic of YoYo.. but either way we are very interested.. I will PM you in the morning.. I'm so exhausted right now but had to check the board..Thank you!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
All I can contribute is a pair (male and female) pure bred Malamutes imported with all the papers from Spain. They cost their owner €2000!! But she has to return to Spain for more studies and is willing to give them away for about RD$25K...which is really giving them away!. They are beautiful....and possessive.

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
WOW! You have been provided just about everything that you can get from some of the best posters and people in the D.R.

I hope that you let us know how it all works out.

(I've got one of 4 in "Judy foster home care" looking for a home too.)