Make Your Own Wi-Fi HotSpot

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Has anyone tried this ?:confused:

Best Buy suggested this to me.

Cradlepoint is a wireless router that creates a wi-fi hotspot bubble of 350 feet.
It is made to deal with 3G/4G modems (dongles)

I showed them my CLARO 'stick' and they said this was how to pump it up.
Plug in the router, insert the stick and "Presto" wireless connection in the casa from the 3G.

Will then allow IPads, Droid pads to work at home. And laptops of course.

I'm sure there are others but I have Cradlepoint - $80

Any experience with this before I take it down to find out it won't work ??:chinese:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Wow. 350' Interesting!

But a regular unsecured wireless router is a hotspot, too, just not 350'...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thats what the box says- 350
Check out the website

I think the thing here is that is a 3G/4G router
I need to plug in the dongle at home to get a signal for Internet - don't have a hardwire

My reception is so poor I need to sit on the upper balcony to get much strength
Hopefully, this will sit there for me and i can roam around !!!?

I bought an Android tablet. It doesn't have a plug-in for the dongle, so this was the solution- espero !!

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I used my Claro and Orange dongles when I was in The DR and then just shared my wireless connection (ad hoc). My wife and kids would all use it without much of an issue. The only drawback to this approach is the main computer has to be on and connected.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
The Link

Not all routers work with all modem sticks and even the manufacturers' compatibility lists are not always reliable.
First I had bought two Linksys routers and a Netgear MBR624GU (3G Mobile Broadband Wireless Router, which connects to the "stick" via a USB-cradle) as I was told it works well with Claro.

But then I decided to stick with my satellite modem (RJ45 jack) and I now use a D-Link router as a hub and a WiFi "hotspot" to transmit the internet signal to the kids' room; I no longer need the other routers.

donP