Animal Flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am searching the threads but cannot find the one I remember. There was an old thread where someone had an animal flown to DR by a private company. The dog was big as I recall, and the company has its own planes I believe and will fly your pets over that cannot be out in a regular flight.
Diva, my blue great dane, is 5 months old and already 72lbs.
My daughter will be going to college but will be living in an apt. so she could take her but I would rather bring her if I could find this service. Also I am looking on the internet but so far have not found it

Does anyone remember?

SHALENA

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Let me chime in a bit cause I am in the same boat. Ive gotten estimates from these types of services and they were all very high. On average, I was quoted at $5k door-to-door. I called Delta airlines and did some research, and you can do this your self. You will have to fly your dog as Live Stock instead of carrying cause of the size of the dog crate you will have to get.

Here is the site which I used....

Pet Travel from Delta for happy healthy, jet-set pets

My calculations show that you can accomplish this yourself for $2000. That includes: Buying the pet crate, going to the vet to get the certificate, paying the flight and the fees in DR. They will ship your dog for about $1500. Hope that helped.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Let me chime in a bit cause I am in the same boat. Ive gotten estimates from these types of services and they were all very high. On average, I was quoted at $5k door-to-door. I called Delta airlines and did some research, and you can do this your self. You will have to fly your dog as Live Stock instead of carrying cause of the size of the dog crate you will have to get.

Here is the site which I used....

Pet Travel from Delta for happy healthy, jet-set pets

My calculations show that you can accomplish this yourself for $2000. That includes: Buying the pet crate, going to the vet to get the certificate, paying the flight and the fees in DR. They will ship your dog for about $1500. Hope that helped.

Thanks, looking at the site, I thought it might be pricey but never thought that much! I filled out the "get an estimate" form. I will report back the response. I may try to do it myself if the price is very high because she will be well over 100lbs at time of travel

SHALENA

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think you're chewing on a very tough problem here.

Big dogs and flying - the airlines generally, are backing away from 'non-carryon' pets.

If you're going to charter - drive to FLA - shorter flight.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
~That's a kinder and gentler Shalena~ BB....

She's always been kind and gentle with me...coulda chopped me up a few times when others were piling on and didn't.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AskMnN4B5UE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AskMnN4B5UE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Shalena, Does this mean you are moving to the DR now?

In August, for the Birth Center. We have had a conference call tonight and I think that we will start first in the hospital in order to gain trust. Myself and a Midwife from Canada will be there full-time. We will work in Cabral y Baez like in past May, giving them more time to see how we work, how we labor, help relieve some of the pressure from them (they are overworked!) Then after about 4-6 months, we will let them know that we are starting a Birth Center, at that time they will have worked side by side with us and seen how we work and what we do on a daily basis. In the meantime, going to neighborhoods and campos educating the women and informing them of our plans.
We found out that they do have a room to rest (the OBs) but it is not nearly comfortable or roomy enough for the physicians who are working so with the permission of the Director, we will renovate (or just clean up) their sleep room.
So yes, I will be there in August. Giving up my $70,000+ job to make nothing. Gotta love it!

I know you didn't ask all that but if you know nothing of me, you know I can go on...and on...and on...LOL

SHALENA

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Best of luck to you, your family and all the other men and women who are making this happen for the women in the DR.
$$$$ isn't everything! What all of you will gain in the process will be worth it.

Jared Wilson

Apr 12, 2011
Wow giving Mother Teresa a run for her money! Very commendable of you, I hope the best for you and am interested to hear how everything works out. (the birth center, not the dog) And here I thought you...........................:p

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Wow giving Mother Teresa a run for her money! Very commendable of you, I hope the best for you and am interested to hear how everything works out. (the birth center, not the dog) And here I thought you...........................:p

HAHA, I'm sure I know what you thought! Things and people are not always what they seem.

But although I thank you guys for the compliments, I think we'd better close this thread since I got my answer and we're almost to page 3, and we all know what happens when my threads reach page 3

Thanks everyone! Nothing exciting now, in 4 weeks though I have an meeting with the Dominican Republic's NATIONAL Director of the Maternal/Infant Health sector of the Ministerio de Salud and possibly with the Catholic Bishop who runs Caritas Dominicana.

Fingers crossed! I'll let you all know!

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This thread can be closed now.....I'm sure my non-admirers are waiting in the wings to pounce since it has changed topics.

Thanks, Moderator.

SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I asked BB to reopen this so I could give you guys the quote that they gave me in case someone is looking this up under "search".
The company whose link is in post #2 quoted me $5495. This is for a great dane, from raleigh, NC to Santiago. Not even door to door. With ne taking her to the airport and picking her up at Santiago airport.

So there you have it.

SHALENA

Status
Not open for further replies.