Gift Ideas

Normal

Oct 16, 2011
I've been doing business with a gentleman here in the DR for quite a while now and he has proved to be the one and only completely reliable person I've dealt with since I moved here. He's kind, honest, and never once has he ever not done precisely what he said he was going to. (Yes, I know that's a rare trait just about anywhere).

I'd like to show my appreciation this holiday season but am short on ideas. He's 30ish and has a wife and kids. A gift of money would probably be greatly appreciated but I just wanted to get some thoughts from the DR1 community.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If he is a drinker, a huge bottle of aged Brugal for him and a basket of fruits/nuts/candy for the family. The kids like toys, barbies, baseballs and books.

N3lly

May 9, 2011
If he is dominican Brugal is not new to him so if this would be my case I'd get him a Johnny Walker or Chivas Regal something nice and nothing for the family since I do business with him and not the family and the scotch isn't cheap

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how much money do you want to spend?
what is this person's economical situation?

i think a nice gift would be something used by the whole family. depending on your budget it could be a TV, computer, kitchen appliences, furniture. money, well, it would be used for clothes and food but not spent on a larger item.

TStroman3

Sep 11, 2011
My personal choice would be Patron' tequila as my boss owns the company and I can get all I want! Somewhere, it must be in my job description to support my owner, lol! And, in mho- I sure love to to contribute to thesuccess of his company!

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Add a box of GOOD (imported) chocolate for the family, as they probably won't partake of the rum/tequila/whiskey. A combination of things will probably be a safer bet, so that if one isn't a hit the others will be. I always recommend good knives for women (think Chicago cutlery!).

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
If he is dominican Brugal is not new to him so if this would be my case I'd get him a Johnny Walker or Chivas Regal something nice and nothing for the family since I do business with him and not the family and the scotch isn't cheap

Did you really say that? He's a business man of integrity, and I'm sure a family gift is appropriate and would be appreciated and remembered. Probably in some text book "Doing Business in Latin America 101" it mentions how important family is. I can't image not thinking of a man's family at the holiday's, and imagine the op knows that as well as he lives here.

I know being a "newbie" and time and experience in the DR aren't the same thing, but seriously, where would this advice come from?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
In my experience something for the gentleman and then a gift the family can enjoy. The gentleman will appreciate the gift and also the fact that you remembered to include his family. If he is not a drinker maybe some cologne. As far as the family it would depend on what you would like to spend. I know money is always welcome but a gift is more personal in my opinion.