Computer no longer needed for Majic Jack

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Heads up all,

For those of you that use Majic jack, a computer is no longer necessary.
I know it can make a difference to some people since the power outages are common and
Majic Jack has been around longer than Net talk.
Also, If you live in the US you can port your current land line phone number.

Good Luck.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Does anyone have a router that does not require a power supply?

It is cool but it does not solve the electricity problem!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've used NetTALK Duo for a while now without a hitch.

Feb 7, 2007
Does anyone have a router that does not require a power supply?

It is cool but it does not solve the electricity problem!

Most people who live in areas with electricity problems have inverters. I think you should look into it. A small inverter of 1.5kW with two batteries would not run you more than 12000 pesos. One time setup, problem resolved for a long time. 1.5kW should be enough for a small house/apt, 2 fans, TV, computer, modem, router, several light bulbs, dvd, etc, even a small washer. No A/C, blender, toaster, microwave, fridge on it though.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Most people who live in areas with electricity problems have inverters. I think you should look into it. A small inverter of 1.5kW with two batteries would not run you more than 12000 pesos. One time setup, problem resolved for a long time. 1.5kW should be enough for a small house/apt, 2 fans, TV, computer, modem, router, several light bulbs, dvd, etc, even a small washer. No A/C, blender, toaster, microwave, fridge on it though.
Few, if any, inverters switch fast enough to keep a modem and router online.

Before adding cordless phones, wireless router and modem onto a UPS, whenever the inverter switched our internet went down...as did the NetTALK Duo.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Before adding cordless phones, wireless router and modem onto a UPS, whenever the inverter switched our internet went down...as did the NetTALK Duo.

Xantrex inverter will switch fast enough every time. I had one for six years and never used a UPS once. They used to be called Trace.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Xantrex inverter will switch fast enough every time. I had one for six years and never used a UPS once. They used to be called Trace.
Different applications require different switching speeds.

Xantrex, an excellent (and expensive) brand, shows tech specs of 16-34ms switching speed.

A UPS is generally 2-10ms switching speed.

Computers vary between the speed necessary to stay live, from 12-40ms, depending on the power supply and motherboard.

Most ADSL modems are in the 12-25ms range.

Wireless routers vary, 10-25ms.

Cordless phones vary, 20-60ms.

So because YOUR inverter works well with YOUR computer that does not mean it would be effective for all devices. Just consider yourself lucky.

A UPS is cheap insurance.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
after reading the reviews on magic jack on:
View all comments for MajicJack customer service
i dont know if i'd buy it.anyone else having problems with magic jack?
so u can hook up magic jack to ur computer w/ internet service plug a phone into it and u have phone service to the u.s.?
or do u need a land line for it to work?
it sounds like a good way to save some money instead of buying call cards every week but so many bad reviews.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
so u can hook up magic jack to ur computer w/ internet service plug a phone into it and u have phone service to the u.s.?
it sounds like a good way to save some money instead of buying call cards every week but so many bad reviews.
\

Been working for me for 3 years. You don't need a landline phone. You just plug it in the UBS port on your computer and plug a regular phone into it and go. Sound has been the same as a landline for me.

As long as you have a decent Internet connection, expecially the up speed, you will be OK.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Different applications require different switching speeds.

Xantrex, an excellent (and expensive) brand, shows tech specs of 16-34ms switching speed.

A UPS is generally 2-10ms switching speed.

Computers vary between the speed necessary to stay live, from 12-40ms, depending on the power supply and motherboard.

Most ADSL modems are in the 12-25ms range.

Wireless routers vary, 10-25ms.

Cordless phones vary, 20-60ms.

So because YOUR inverter works well with YOUR computer that does not mean it would be effective for all devices. Just consider yourself lucky.

A UPS is cheap insurance.

I guess I am lucky along with about 6 or 7 friends of mine who are also "lucky". So far I have never heard of anyone that was "unlucky" with a Xantrex Invertor. But hey, what do I know.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I guess I am lucky along with about 6 or 7 friends of mine who are also "lucky". So far I have never heard of anyone that was "unlucky" with a Xantrex Invertor. But hey, what do I know.
I only listed the tech specs.

It's not luck. It's technical compatibility.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

MagicJack has worked well for me for a couple of years. Google has a free service to call the US called Google Talk which might be sufficient for your needs. No need for any additional hardware, just a computer capable of running Google Talk.

Regarding UPS systems. Since I primarily use a laptop, it would not have problems with the switching times of any inverter. My modem and router do not have problems with the switching speeds of my vintage 3.5 KW Trace Inverter. No need for a UPS so far in about 10 years. There is a certain amount of luck involved since Codetel could have given me a modem that did not have sufficient hold time and I may have purchased a different wireless router which has a problem with the Trace's switching speed. Technically CB is correct that it comes down to the specs of each piece of equipment that will determine what you need for back up power.

Feb 7, 2007

It depends how long the "switch off" is when power is going out. If it involves lowering the voltage (about 50% of the time), most newer inverters (or better to say the smart card inside) will pick it up and switch on time. But there are two options:

1) A UPS. There are two brands that work with inverters. Unipower and Omega. Omega is sold by OMEGAPC and 500VC UPS costs about 1.700 pesos.

2) An inverter with UPS card. Juan Reyes (Inverkit) in Santo Domingo (Inverkit Santo Domingo inversore,circuitos,circuitosimpresos,electronica,energiaalternativa,kit,powerinverter,) manufactures one. It is costly (roughly RD$2500 pesos) - It's called Osciladora UPS McLarren F1 (haha) - info here Juan Reyes - Osciladora UPS McLarren F1 - but it is an awesome smart card. If you already have an inverter, it's not worth to buy it (cheaper to buy UPS) but if you do not have one yet, ask the technician who makes it or the store that sells you (they usually make the inverters themselves) to use this card. If they do not have it, buy it yourself with Juan Reyes, they ship anywhere in the DR. It is a nice piece of technology. Note: this card HAS to be adjusted by technician in your place to compensate for all factors like lower/higher voltage, average duration of "blackouts", etc. for this card to work to the full of its capabilities.

Feb 7, 2007
This is my VOIP setup:

Free pbxes.org account, connected with 2 outbound and 2 inbound trunks. outbound: whistlephone (www.whistlephone.com) for free calling to the USA, voicebuy (Quality Wholesale VoIP Termination | Voicebuy VoIP Provider) for super cheap calling worldwide (wholesale rates*); inbound: callcentric (Callcentric - VoIP Internet phone service) which also serves as outbound backup, and inbound from anveo (Anveo - The Smart Way To Use Your Phones) - really cheap DID's worldwide (like 1 buck per month), many with fax and sms support.

All connected to a two line PAP2 adapter and then to a two-line AT&T phone.

* There are cheaper wholesale services, such as voxbeam - Voxbeam: Wholesale A-Z VoIP Termination but they work based on IP authentication rather than SIP username/password. The rate difference is maybe 2-5% on average so for me it's not worth the rick of SIP authentication by IP address.
Another good wholesale service with great rates is sonovoip - Quality Wholesale VoIP Termination | SonoVoIP Wholesale VoIP Provider - but they also have only IP address authentication, and no SIP username/password.

Wholesale rates - we are talking rates like Germany 0.9 cents/min, UK 0.7 cents/min, Dominican rep. Fixed 2.3 cents/min, Colombia Medellin 1.3 cents/min (for AZB ;) ), everything billed in 1/1 increment (1 second initial, 1 second increment). All these companies accept as low as US$25 recharge, usually by Paypal or Moneybookers. This is really a great option for cheap calling worldwide.

If you need inexpensive Dominican Rep. inbound DID with 100 minutes of local outbound calling to DR landlines (Santo Domingo, Santiago), prepaid, month by month basis, this is your best bet: Wind Telecom - http://wind.com.do/telefono/planestelefono/voz-local plan Voz Local 100. it's RD$125 + taxes = US$4.2, unbeatable offer, cheapest DR DID you can find anywhere.

irateskateboards

Oct 4, 2006
Boca Chica, Dominican Republic
for internet cards.anyone better than the other??? orange or claro.
by the way,just bought magic jack for 39.99.really easy to use and took nothing to set up.
$25 on phone cards a week....byebye.i'll see what happens when i arrive on saturday.

slokum

Jun 9, 2016
for internet cards.anyone better than the other??? orange or claro.
by the way,just bought magic jack for 39.99.really easy to use and took nothing to set up.
$25 on phone cards a week....byebye.i'll see what happens when i arrive on saturday.

We have the magic jack app on our iPad. Bought it here online. Gives you an American number which allows us to phone America or Canada for free from here. *Has voice mail and texting also. Costs us $14 Canadian a year. It is crystal clear and haven,t had any problems yet.