Gifts for Locals Bayahibe/beaches

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
Hi, this is my first time travelling to Bayahibe. I have been to Puerto Plata, Punta Cana and Boca Chica....all so very different. Firstly tips for locals in this region. Elsewhere I usually tipped with $$ but for beach workers and grounds keepers I gave $$ or gifts. They never seem to make as much as the other workers. I know tylenol etc is appreciated, but anything else? Any ideas? Also I love to snorkel and saw the available tours, but heard I can snorkel right off shore from my hotel Viva Dominicus. Anyone been there or know how rough seas are in this area normally in December?? I tried to search the blogs but no luck. I am a strong swimmer but don't like to get cut up into shreds by coral.

Thanks

Italchica :p

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
On the snorkeling

I think it's worth your while to go to either La Catalina or La Isla Saona, in addition to just snorkeling by the hotel. You may be able to arrange something locally, as you have some experience in the DR. I've heard that La Piscina Natural is also worth seeing, yet it can get really crowded at times.

The day I spent at La Catalina sticks out in my memory as a fantastic beach/snorkeling day, while the afternoon I spent on the "Dominican access" beach near the Dominicus just really isn't that memorable.

Dr1 has a link (that you may have seen) that may be helpful as well.

La Romana & Bayahibe - Dominican Republic

As for the tipping, keep doing what's worked for you in the past. You are very generous, I've never even thought of tipping a gardener. I'm sure they are appreciative of your kindess. If by the "beach boys" you mean the guys that work with the sports equipment, I'd try to get something they can use on the beach and is hard to get there.

Enjoy your trip, and may you have many more enjoyable beach vacations.

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
Catalina Island trip is nice if you don't mind lots of people around you. During the cruise ship season (October-March) sometimes even two ships dock by the island pier :) Snorkeling is nice, the island is nice, I just prefer less crowded places.
You can snorkel just in front of the resort, there is a protected area where you can snorkel without fast boats passing above your head. People usually like snorkeling there, lots to see, some prefer to go for a day trip to go away from the resort area to see our beautiful Caribbean coast. By the way from December till April the Caribbean sea around Bayahibe is the best - very flat, no waves, like a mirror.
Have a great vacation and in case you would like to visit Bayahibe village, about 5 minute ride from Dominicus where Viva resort is, let me know, we can have a coffee or drink :)
Denise

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
and the locals usually can get more bang for the buck (excuse the pun) exchange rate than most tourists.....

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
Thanks for the info. I didn't mean the sports guys I mean the guys that clean the beach, and get your chairs. The sports guys usually have a tip jar already out..lol.

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
Catalina Island trip is nice if you don't mind lots of people around you. During the cruise ship season (October-March) sometimes even two ships dock by the island pier :) Snorkeling is nice, the island is nice, I just prefer less crowded places.
You can snorkel just in front of the resort, there is a protected area where you can snorkel without fast boats passing above your head. People usually like snorkeling there, lots to see, some prefer to go for a day trip to go away from the resort area to see our beautiful Caribbean coast. By the way from December till April the Caribbean sea around Bayahibe is the best - very flat, no waves, like a mirror.
Have a great vacation and in case you would like to visit Bayahibe village, about 5 minute ride from Dominicus where Viva resort is, let me know, we can have a coffee or drink :)
Denise

I am relieved! I was worried the water was going to be a bit rough like Punta Cana. Someone had mentioned that sometimes it was quite rough. As for no boats...great! Much better than Boca Chica. I had to swim with a raft to be seen otherwise I would have been killed by a banana boat lol. I was snorkelling the one day and he didn't see me but I heard him. He could have killed me. Thanks for the invite and all the info. :)

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
italchica you will find more info about Bayahibe area at Trip Advisor. Search both Bayahibe area and also LA Romana area and you will find tons of info about everything.

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
Were you displaying a diver-down flag?

Lol...He was too busy watching the people behind him on the banana boat to see where he was going in front of him....wouldn't have mattered. Maybe if I was topless...no not even then. lol I ended up snorkeling with a big yellow floatie if you can imagine. He then could spot me. If you have ever been to Boca Chica you know the area is quite small so its hard for them. They have to make a living too. Just have to be very careful in high season. Or suck it up and don't snorkel there...although I did see some amazing fish!

italchica

Oct 23, 2011
italchica you will find more info about Bayahibe area at Trip Advisor. Search both Bayahibe area and also LA Romana area and you will find tons of info about everything.

I do check out trip advisor however I find that most of the info is about negative hotel comments about the hotel I booked :( Sometimes good info though you are right. I actually couldn't find the info I was looking for hence my post on this blog. A friend I met on my last trip to the DR recommended this site to me. I am glad she did. I appreciate the feedback I received, I found it helpful. Thanks

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
italchica, I just stayed at the Viva Dominicas about a month ago and loved it. I read all the negative reviews too but we had a great time. Food is good, lots to do, beautiful beach, pour your own Presidente and juices. The snorkeling is good right off the beach. We walked down the beach to the East and found even better spot. Go and have a great time....

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
Some people will always find something to complain about, never happy with anything :) Our clients stayed there last month too and had a great time. Enjoy your vacation and if you want to see a bit more of a local life, come to Bayahibe, about 5 minute ride from Dominicus where Viva resort is.