Mom killed during burglary- Feeding Orphaned dogs

latitude19

May 29, 2011
Hello, We came home to find our 2 dogs dead- killed during a burglary (one of the many burglaries of both foreigners and Dominicans on our STREET in Santiago in the last 2 months) but the puppies alive. Can someone who has fed orphaned pups- an expert- help us out?? Pups are 7 days old, father Belgian Malinois, mother Dominican street dog Samana, who we took in with a broken leg. The vet we were recommended- Grullon- only said to feed O% milk, which from reading I have found to be wrong and hugely incomplete. I want ALL of the pups to live.

We are now staying in Santiago at a local hotel, afraid and aware that thieves often strike twice. Will likely be moving to Cabarete or Las Terrenas in 2-4 days, until we receive either a tourist visa, or fiancee visa if necessary, for the US. Graduating UTESA is just not worth the risk.

Please only respond if you have info that is helpful. Hopefully someone can meet with us and show us the correct techniques for feeding and caring for young puppies.

I did find this article, but still would be helpful to have a demonstration. http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/dogs/neonatalpuppycare.pdf

thanks, tom

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Try to get your hands on the formula of Royal Canin milk powder. Best bet is that Dra. Giselle Santos has it in stock. Its a complete puppy milk formula but its pretty expensive. Alternative is goats milk, not sure if you can get it in National but here at City Market they have it in powder form, works perfectly.
Pups need to be fed every 4 hours and you cannot skip a meal so young. Keep them warm but for most keep them out of draft, that's lethal for such young pups.
Feeding with syringe (4 to 5 cc/time) is the best way, drip it in the corner of their mouth and make sure they swallow properly, do not lay them on their back for feeding with syringe, the chance of dripping the milk in their lungs it too great, just hold them in your lefthand, put your pinky in their mouth and they have an automatic sucking reflex and while they suck your little pinky, drip the milk from the syringe with your right hand into their mouth softly.
After meal, rob their belly and genitals with warm wet cotton to stimulate them to urinate and deficate. They are not able to do so on their selves until they are two weeks old.

I live near Sosua but pm me if you need more help.

Acira

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Sorry about the loss.

The area around La Fuente has sort of a bad reputation but it's sad to hear things are getting worse. With the state of the economy and so many Haitians here competing for work due to the earthquake there are many Dominicans without work. It appears the Haitian politician's greed has not only hurt their own citizens but us as well. I am speaking from experience of living here for 5 years and noticing the increasing lack of Dominicans on construction projects.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Mum Killed

I, too, live in one of Santiago's most upscale estates, Monte Verde. Several of my neighbours have private helipads.

Three month's ago a band of Haitians attacked my property and killed my 2 dogs, an outstanding Belgian Mallinois and a Rottweiler. They saw fit to mutilate the dead dogs. They attempted to enter the main house but thankfully the security fixings prevented a forceful entry. The alarm system was activated but it did not deter them initially but the arrival of 3 jeepettas of armed guards sent them on their way.

I am now having a complete re-think on our security and have decided to employ geese as a deterrant.

Has anyone tried this here?

John

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I, too, live in one of Santiago's most upscale estates, Monte Verde. Several of my neighbours have private helipads.

Three month's ago a band of Haitians attacked my property and killed my 2 dogs, an outstanding Belgian Mallinois and a Rottweiler. They saw fit to mutilate the dead dogs. They attempted to enter the main house but thankfully the security fixings prevented a forceful entry. The alarm system was activated but it did not deter them initially but the arrival of 3 jeepettas of armed guards sent them on their way.

I am now having a complete re-think on our security and have decided to employ geese as a deterrant.

John

If I might ask who is your security company and how much do they charge a month?

BTW, what happened to the Haitians? Were any caught?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

John

Heart breaking news especially for me as this is number 3 of the siblings of our Belgian Malinois male Herion where I get to hear the news that they have been poisoned or killed :(

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, We used geese in Vietnam between the Foogas and second level. They do make alot of noise but most counrty familiar burglars will not be afraid and kill them quickly.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hello, We came home to find our 2 dogs dead- killed during a burglary (one of the many burglaries of both foreigners and Dominicans on our STREET in Santiago in the last 2 months) but the puppies alive. Can someone who has fed orphaned pups- an expert- help us out?? Pups are 7 days old, father Belgian Malinois, mother Dominican street dog Samana, who we took in with a broken leg. The vet we were recommended- Grullon- only said to feed O% milk, which from reading I have found to be wrong and hugely incomplete. I want ALL of the pups to live.

We are now staying in Santiago at a local hotel, afraid and aware that thieves often strike twice. Will likely be moving to Cabarete or Las Terrenas in 2-4 days, until we receive either a tourist visa, or fiancee visa if necessary, for the US. Graduating UTESA is just not worth the risk.

Please only respond if you have info that is helpful. Hopefully someone can meet with us and show us the correct techniques for feeding and caring for young puppies.

I did find this article, but still would be helpful to have a demonstration. http://www.bestfriends.org/theanimals/pdfs/dogs/neonatalpuppycare.pdf

thanks, tom

The OP asked about caring for some young pups and Acria provided some good information and I would hope others would add concerning the pups.

The security issues are WELL covered in other threads.

To the OP: I wish you well with the pups and just ask if you need more help.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
so people actually leave their 1st world comfort to live in places like el fuente or monte verde and then complain of security? Why can't you people find better places to live and be safe? I live in "el paraiso" and I have never been robbed or even come close to it. I never let in any street people or have any motoconcho friends etc. The thieves don't know what is inside the house so no one comes looking for anything. The house is secured and no one from outside peeks inside.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The security issues are WELL covered in other threads.

I see no reason why this can't be discussed here. I live here in Santiago and like most here would like to know the hot spots in town and the specifics of a robbery for obvious reasons.

tomas2

Nov 29, 2005
I see no reason why this can't be discussed here. I live here in Santiago and like most here would like to know the hot spots in town and the specifics of a robbery for obvious reasons.

Agreed. The OP could have just said ?I have these orphan puppies and was wondering how to care for them?. He didn?t do that. He posted all these sensational details that would be sure to attract attention (heck, the title was ?Mom killed during burglary- Feeding Orphaned dogs?, and I clicked on it to read it...I like dogs...and puppies...but if the thread was about caring for puppies I wouldn't have spent any time reading it).

You can?t post all these ?irrelevant? details, and not expect comments on the totality of the post.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Agreed. The OP could have just said “I have these orphan puppies and was wondering how to care for them”. He didn’t do that. He posted all these sensational details that would be sure to attract attention (heck, the title was “Mom killed during burglary- Feeding Orphaned dogs”, and I clicked on it to read it...I like dogs...and puppies...but if the thread was about caring for puppies I wouldn't have spent any time reading it).

You can’t post all these “irrelevant” details, and not expect comments on the totality of the post.

So what kind of a sick person are you??? I am sorry, but if a person comes home and find his 2 dogs killed, poisoned, and one of the dogs just had pups, and you find it irrational that he is upset?

So let me get this straight. His house is robbed, his 2 dogs which he loved were killed, he is left with 4 puppies of a week old, and you think he is overplaying it?

My god, you are a heartless bastard.

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009

John

No, but my neighbor in the country, in Pennsylvania, had geese. His house was close to the road and every time I walked (run) by, those buggers would try to attack me......I don't think he ever had a problem with the Avon lady or Jehovah Witnesses knocking on his door because those geese were just plain vicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
So what kind of a sick person are you??? I am sorry, but if a person comes home and find his 2 dogs killed, poisoned, and one of the dogs just had pups, and you find it irrational that he is upset?

So let me get this straight. His house is robbed, his 2 dogs which he loved were killed, he is left with 4 puppies of a week old, and you think he is overplaying it?

Some people consider it heartless to compare dogs to people.
I understand that it is normal for these people to anthropomorphise their animals - and treat them like part of the family, but for most people that is a little weird.

I agree that it is out of order to sensationalise the deaths of 2 dogs by implicitly comparing it the death of a human in a headline.

I am not a heartless bastard but agree with Tomas2.

Dogs' lives are worth less less than humans' lives - please remember that.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

No offense P but you owe an Tomas an apology. There is nothing in his post that merit your shameful attack. He even says he likes dog's for goodness sakes.

Furthermore, you and your wife make a habit of misinterpreting people's posts because of your poor English skills and then have the arrogance to falsely accuse people when the only people that have done any wrong are you too for being so presumptuous.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I agree with Tomas, How is anything in the headline remotely foretelling--"Mom Killed During Burglary--Feeding Orphaned Dogs" with the situation they go on to explain. Did anyone here read this headline and supect it wasn't a human being--mother killed!? and then they go on to ask for advice about what kind of milk to feed puppies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
No offense P but you owe an Tomas an apology. There is nothing in his post that merit your shameful attack. He even says he likes dog's for goodness sakes.

Furthermore, you and your wife make a habit of misinterpreting people's posts because of your poor English skills and then have the arrogance to falsely accuse people when the only people that have done any wrong are you too for being so presumptuous.

Chip, Why do you always attack non-native posters on their English skills when you disagree with them ? Frankly, it is surprising from someone whose so concerned about his second language skills (And who knows, their English skills may be superior to your Spanish ones ?)

I also think that he overreacted though, but he is a dog breeder or trainer, so that would explain it.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Tragically today, a mother of 6 was brutally slaughtered.

But on the upside, she made for a bloomin' delicious bacon sandwich.