Rabies shots for passport?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
So I know the usual procedure for taking a dog in and out of the country with a UK passport, but I have began inquiries into taking a dog out of the DR and into the UK for the first time. The vet tells me everything can be ready to go in about a month, when I have asked if there will be an issue at the other end as the Rabies shots will not have been done for 6 months his reply was there will be not issue. I don't trust him with this reply and will be looking for a second opinion, but since there are so many experienced dog importers/exporter on here I thought I seek your input also.
Basically I can't see how the time required would be less either way, it would be great if it wasn't, but can't see it being the case.
Also is there a particular order you need to get these tests and vaccinations?

Like I say I will be getting a second opinion from a vet to see if there are Dominican Variations of what is the right way to do this (I am sure there will be) but just sounding out the experience on here to get a better idea.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I am not really familiar with the procedures for bringing a dog into the UK but have friends who recently went through the whole procedure. I will get back to you.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
getting a dog in the UK is a big hassle and an expensive one. Normally a dog has to go into quarantaine for 6 months, which aside from the considerable expense, is also a traumatic experience for the dog.

there is a way around this, but pm me for that

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Wonderful info thanks, it looks like the 6 months period has been reduced to 3 months from Jan 2012 which makes life easier. Counting up costs in total, microchip, Rabies shot, other vacs, blood tests and physical passport the entire cost comes to $230US under RD9000 or GBP 150 which is more than reasonable for such a seemingly complicated process. I think my only issue from the DR is to be sure all the Vet does is actually above board as you would not find out anything until you arrived at the other end where if things were not correct the dog would have to do 3 months time (reduced from 6) which by any counts is a long long time in doggy time.

Great link Pureyear, thankyou very much.