O Negative Blood needed in Santiago today 10/23/11

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7OlLNySjYhw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a blood drive this week at the PUCMM, I do believe. I will check.

HB

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
O neg. blood is universal donor (can be infused into anybody). I'm sure they will also accept type specific

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
O neg is universal but we used to do anyway a geno typing because some neg bloods carry a Ccdee instead of a ccdee which can cause problems but these are rare occasions. Who ever has O neg as blood type should consider to donate occasionally, it can save some bodies life when really needed in urgent situations. A bloodbank can't have enough Oneg in stock really.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
No way. O negative can be infused to NEGATIVE only. A, B, AB, O but negative only.

O negative blood lacks the antigens for A, B and Rh blood typing. Without any of the antigens, it is safe for transfusion into anyone. Conversely, those who are RH negative should not receive blood that has any RH antigens since it will set off a transfusion reaction.

That is why a pregnant woman who is RH negative who gives birth to a baby who is RH positive must receive injections of RHogam to obviate any problems caused by migration of the baby's blood across the placental barrier.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
No way. O negative can be infused to NEGATIVE only. A, B, AB, O but negative only.

For that lesson in letters you get a grade of "F".

BTW, the point I was making, before you rudely misinformed, was even though they are requesting Oneg, they certainly will accept type specific blood and use it first where it matches.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To those of you who know about these things....... can a person who has O- blood accept any other type??? Or only O-?

I'm curious because my husband is O-.

And I learned something from this thread.....that he can give me blood even though I'm B+.

I'm having surgery in about a month, and I'm self-donating two weeks before. They also advised me to ask family members if they would donate if I need it, I only asked my daughter because she's B+ like me, now I've warned my husband to have his veins ready. :cheeky:

AE

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
To those of you who know about these things....... can a person who has O- blood accept any other type??? Or only O-?

I'm curious because my husband is O-.

And I learned something from this thread.....that he can give me blood even though I'm B+.

I'm having surgery in about a month, and I'm self-donating two weeks before. They also advised me to ask family members if they would donate if I need it, I only asked my daughter because she's B+ like me, now I've warned my husband to have his veins ready. :cheeky:

AE

O- is the Universal Donor- Can be infused into anybody.
AB+ is the Universal recipient- Can receive infusion from anybody.

A can receive A or O.
B can receive B or O.
O can onlt receive O.
AB can receive A, B or O.
Taking into account a Rh+ can receive + or - blood and a Rh- can only receive - blood.

In addition to typing they will preform other tests (i.e. cross matching) to be sure bloods are compatable.

A short course in serology, but I hope it helps. Your husband can donate blood to you.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
For that lesson in letters you get a grade of "F".

BTW, the point I was making, before you rudely misinformed, was even though they are requesting Oneg, they certainly will accept type specific blood and use it first where it matches.

LOL, LOL !!! What's your problem ???????? La luna ???????????

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
LOL, LOL !!! What's your problem ???????? La luna ???????????
Why would you be so adament ("no way") in discrediting advice when you don't have a clue?

Although I wouldn't rely on DR1 for lifesaving advice, posting misinformation (-blood can only be given to -recipient) is thoughtless and confusing. If you are in doubt on a subject, look it up.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Just out of interest, as far as I am aware the most common blood group in the UK is O+. My Dominican husband is O-, and so are all of the Dominicans I have met who know their blood group.

Why is this??

matilda

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
how can you tell a male gene from a female gene?

Pull down their jeans.!!!!! jejejeje