House for a (Resident) Visa

Feb 7, 2007
Buy a house for at least US$500k and you get U.S. legal residency ... or buy a house for US$250k and invest US$250k in rental property.

If this bill passes, I see a lot of rich Dominicans, Venezuelans, Colombians, etc. going after this... what do you think? I know that nowadays rich Latin people ? la Cisneros, Slim, (including Dominicans) Rainieri, Viccini etc. have no problems getting tourist visa. But residency visa is more difficult and complicated to obtain, you have to "mingle" within one of the available categories (business, family, investment) and usually the paperwork is quite heavy even for "highly qualified" prospects. But this bill would open U.S. residency possibility to lot more Dominicans. 20 Million pesos is not that much money for many Dominicans, or other Latinos that own businesses ...

A House for A Visa
Bill Would Give U.S. Visas to Foreign Home Buyers - WSJ.com

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Needs alot of work. Who is eligible? The buyer and spouse? and children? What happens when children become adults? This looks like a political lead balloon.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
I guess we've given up on, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free."

But then again, people with that much money can get visas anyway. If they are increasing the number of visas for it, it would be nice if they'd increase the number for the average joe.