Carrbbean or mexico trips

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Has anyone come across any decent priced get aways originating from SDQ.

I prefer no futrher than mexico and prefer Not going through USA.

Would like a one week vacation with mi novia off island but do not wat the USA visa hassles.

Not Costa Rica or Panama as been there too many times.

Any ideas?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are considering Mexico, she will also need a visa to visit Mexico. Been there and done that and never going back to the Riviera Maya and Cancun area again.

I have been on the watching for places to visit as well from the DR because we have been to the US enough for now. It is just that the other places Dominicans can go without visas are either very long and expensive flights or rather uninteresting to visit. Good luck finding a good location.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Would like a one week vacation with mi novia off island but do not wat the USA visa hassles.

Any ideas?

Cancun or Cozemel Mexico are a lot of fun or Isla Margarita, Venis.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

Any ideas?

Why not get away to the mountains as a change of pace from island living?

Oaxaca or Cuernavaca are good alternatives to the tourist beach areas in Mexico. You can fly Copa (2 stops, PTY, MEX)/ Aeromex to Oaxaca and get there in time to visit the pyramids and black clay pottery shops (or go straight to the tours of the Mescalerias) or you could fly Copa through PTY into Ciudad Mexico and take a 1.5 hour luxury bus ride into the center of Cuernavaca where you can enjoy Cortez' Castle and the many cultural and natural wonders to be found in the "Land of Eternal Spring". It's where the Mexican upper middle class weekends. There's a lot to see and do there.

If you choose Oaxaca, beware of the mezcal. It is served as a compliment with almost every meal and it's very, very sneaky.

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Well, Mexico is my favourite country in the entire world (sorry, DR, but you're a close 2nd!) :) I love it there, lived in Zihuatanejo and up in Costa Careyes, so if you have questions specific to those areas, do let me know!

Why not look into flying over to Provodenciales in Turks and Caicos? There are flights from the DR over, just a magazine-read away ;) It's a pretty quiet island, pretty much all full of all-inclusive resorts and a spectacular beach. If you snorkel or, even better, if you dive, you'll find it perfection. Not a ton of crazy stuff to do, but for a relaxing holiday out of here, it's a perfect option. I lived in Grace Bay for about 2.5 years, so I'm always happy to tell you more if you need!

Otherwise, there's always the option of renting a car (I know you wanna get away, but if flights and all don't work out, it's just a thought...) and driving out to Las Galeras in the North, or being treated like a King and Queen at an exclusive little resort in Punta Cana, etc....it's still an escape, but a little more of an affordable one. Just a thought :)

Lemme know if you like any specific notes on Provo or Zihua or Costa Careyes! :D