flight advice ..

dandudette

May 10, 2007
Hey guys!

i am travelling to the DR for a winter break between my seasons at work..

i will be going for 3 months..
is it best to get a 3 month return flight.?
or
buy a normal week flight and just stay and return on a different flight?

any helpful advice wanted.
thanks!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Depends on the airline,and the clerk who checks you in.Some airlines/clerks require you to have a return flight paid for before you can board your flight to the DR.
cc

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you are confident about your dates - yes, why not book a r/t ticket?

No problem booking a 3 month return date and the incoming r/t ticket possible problem is solved.

If you cannot be certain about your exit date - the advice above will work.

dandudette

May 10, 2007
thanks guys.. should have put more info... im british.. and will be flying to the DR on m british passport..where the slight worry cos of the visa situation... but i know you can pay a fine if u stay over the 30days right?

dandudette

May 10, 2007
thanks ricky..
im a worrier anyway.. but i know that this is what i want to do.. i know you need to fly with a return ticket.. but i think my worry is that if i buy a 3 month return that they would reject me as i land cos its over the 30 day tourist visa.. lol if you get my drift!.. silly worries.? i dont know! but im grateful for the chat support and advice!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
thanks guys.. should have put more info... im british.. and will be flying to the DR on m british passport..where the slight worry cos of the visa situation... but i know you can pay a fine if u stay over the 30days right?

Buy a return, if you don't you will end up buying a three way, a return now and a single to get back, this will cost you more or less double what you need to pay. Your fine for 3 months is only going to be RD500pesos the cost of two airport beers.

dandudette

May 10, 2007
thanks giveadogahome....
advice taken andd noted.. :) now just to sort out my flight!!
all advice much appreciated!! good friends always needed for this kind of stuff so thanks again :)

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Don't worry

There are an awful lot of people who overstay their 30 day welcome, including myself and my husband. A lot of people choose the DR to spend their Winters away from the cold and stay several months.
The "penalty" for staying 3 months is RD$ 1000. I don't think the DR cares too much how long you stay as long as you pay when you exit. They want your cash!
If your airline lets you book a 3 months return ticket, go for it and pay the exit fee!

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
27 hours?? Yikes! Where on earth are you living? That is worse than my son visiting from Japan! lol

dandudette

May 10, 2007
lol im living in london UK! and it flies into NY! then a fifteen hour stop over :| hahaha! not fun! but then only 13 hours home! and that at about ?800!

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
You should be able to book the round trip and find what your options are if you change your return date, no harm in asking..... it isn't like they are going to black list you..........:bunny::bunny::bunny:

It's only three months, no big deal.....everybody there will welcome your money....helps the economy !!!!!!!!!!

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Book flights to Paris, airline tickets to Europe, America, Asia and Africa -

Why go through the US if you don't need to. London, Paris, DR, 13 hours and 722Quid, 3 months return, 14th dec till 13th Feb.

Cheaper and quicker, seriously buddy, US airports are horrible, I always avoid the mind numb if I can.

If you look at the tickets there is an option to pay a little more now and change the return date free of charge when you want to return, even doing this will work out cheaper than paying a 3way, it roughly works out and 150 quid more for a ticket that can be changed free of charge, so this price would be 870quid and in effect an open return if you need to change.

And there is no hassle for the 3 month period, my friends and family often get long term returns without any concern at all.

Last edited:

dandudette

May 10, 2007
you guys are all fantastic.. :) thanks!! might get blacklisted u never know hahaha i never seem to have great luck so that could happen!! :p

dandudette

May 10, 2007
giveadog u r a star!! will have a look tomo for sure!!! thank youuuuuuu!!!!! thanks to belmont will check it out!

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I lived near London and spent eight holidays in the DR, one as long as 13 weeks. I always bought tickets on charter flights, direct from Gatwick to Puerto Plata and back (using firms like Thos Cook, Thomson Holidays, First Choice, etc). There are rarely singles available but you could buy two returns (wasting one leg in each case) for much cheaper than one scheduled return flight via the US. They are like flying cattle trucks but the advantages are a much shorter journey (7 to 9 hours), no danger of losing your luggage in the States (a surprisingly common problem), and nil hassle at customs and immigration other than a long queue if you are one of the last to deboard.

Another quicker and cheaper option is to fly via Brussels rather than via the US.

If your return date from the DR is not fixed, it is possible to buy single return ticket here in Pto Pta but you might need a window of opportunity of as much as two weeks as they are only intermittently available.

dandudette

May 10, 2007
thanks london777...
when you booked with thomas cook did you call them direct? or use a trael agent, because everytime i have tried online i cant get any joy with them.. but flying direct would be a lot nicer thought!! thanks!

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Buy a return, if you don't you will end up buying a three way, a return now and a single to get back, this will cost you more or less double what you need to pay. Your fine for 3 months is only going to be RD500pesos the cost of two airport beers.

There are an awful lot of people who overstay their 30 day welcome, including myself and my husband. A lot of people choose the DR to spend their Winters away from the cold and stay several months.
The "penalty" for staying 3 months is RD$ 1000. I don't think the DR cares too much how long you stay as long as you pay when you exit. They want your cash!
If your airline lets you book a 3 months return ticket, go for it and pay the exit fee!

IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA

CODIGO DESCRIPCION TARIFA VIGENTE VIP
032 De 30 dias a 3 meses 800.00 -
033 De 3 meses a 9 meses 1,000.00 -
034 De 9 meses a 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
035 De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
036 De 1 a?o y medio a 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
037 De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
038 De 2 a?os y medio a 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
039 De 2 a?os a 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
040 De 5 a?os en adelante 17,000.00 -