E-mail services

george1

Jan 2, 2011
Good afternoon to All,

I am trying to set up an e-mail service such as mail.com. I believe it sounds a little more interesting than yahoo or google at the end, also, they have some endings available that would fit once interest. It seems however as if I am not able to do so from here. Having said this, does anyone know of an alternative service, similar to mail.com?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why not register george1.com, buy a cheapie host service and create all the xxxx@george1.com email addresses you want?

Very cheap but not free.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Buy a cheap domain for US$7 a year at SMad Dog Doamins or Go Daddy and link to your name@yourdomain.com account set up for free through Free Web Hosting with PHP, MySQL and cPanel, No Ads (no ads on the site or email)

If you are technically more proficient, you can set up your mail delivery via Google or Live, all the while maintaining your domain name and receiving emails on it.
I am a HUGE fan of Thunderbird (Mozilla freeware) as my email client. One place to manage multiple email addresses efficiently...

george1

Jan 2, 2011
I am a HUGE fan of Thunderbird (Mozilla freeware) as my email client. One place to manage multiple email addresses efficiently...

Thank you for the good advice. Is there any chance you could tell me more about Thunderbird and how to use it. I never heard of it....

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Thank you for the good advice. Is there any chance you could tell me more about Thunderbird and how to use it. I never heard of it....
It allows for monitoring for multiple email accounts. It's a free download and set up can be automatic. Once in a while you need to tweak ports and security settings, but those instances are not common.

It's be the folks who created the Firefox browser.

There are multiple plug-ins and skins available.

One thing I find helpful in business is I can receive an inquiry to "info@" and reply to it with any number of "rcooper@" email addresses.

There is a ton of video tutorials out there on TB as well as a helpful and expansive forum.

It's not a free email deal like hotmail or gmail. It mamages those...and other...emails in one program. Additionally, you get an instant pop-up with arriving mail. You don't have to log in multiple places to check emails.

Feb 7, 2007

You can still use Thunderbird with GoogleMail or Live. I just like robustness of Google, no way mail would go down.

I set up mail on all my domains via Gmail (it's set up via Google Aps, free 10 users) Google Apps helps groups build communities ? Google Apps but one domain ... happened that about 3 weeks ago, my webhost suspended my account because I had some mp4 files there (what the heck are they doing browsing through my files)? it was actually a storage and password protected, BUT...anyway they suspended me for like 3 days while this was being discussed with them. needless to say my email was down for like 12 hours...I immediately changed mail DNS to GoogleAps which I immediately set up for that domain. Now I have no worries to be "locked away" from my email ... I use Outlook, and I get there email from 4 different domain names (all via Google Mail/Google Aps) plus one @gmail account. I use POP3 in outlook, plus I have set up email in my Blackberry through LogicMail app using IMAP.

The advantage of having Google handling my email is I like Gmail as "webmail interface" when I have to access email on the road, it's easy to work with it, and I maintain email on my domain name. Plus, I can set up spam filtering right on the Gmail side.