Customs in SJU

MsOtis

Jul 17, 2011
Hello all,

I'm 30 days away from my first trip to DR. Continental cancelled my return flight (1:30 departure) and put me on an 11:30 am flight :-(. I'm never in a hurry to depart any vacation destination, so I asked that I be allowed to switch if a later flight became available.

As it happens, there's a 2:35 pm flight with a connection in San Juan, PR. I'd love to take it but I'm concerned that I won't get through customs in time to make my connecting flight.

I'm sure someone has passed through SJU customs, is 90 minutes adequate, or should I keep looking?

Thanks in advance!

MsOtis

Jul 17, 2011
Thanks badpiece33. I was hoping the airport would be less busy in the afternoon. Is it ever NOT busy?

Also, I realize I'll have to go through a USDA scan before I even get to the customs area. Does the plane unload luggage right on the tarmack, or will I have to wait for my bags inside the airport?

I should do the responsible thing an leave earlier, but.... yeah, that's for the faint of heart right? lol

edm7583

May 29, 2007
You should have no problems, it's a much faster yet laid back entry point into the US than others. I've done it many times. Your bags do not have to be scanned by the USDA, as the agricultural inspection is already incorporated in the CBP inspection process and you are declaring any plant, animals, fruits vegetables. After customs you just drop your bag off and go to security for your gate.