HIV in Sosua and the DR

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I have been searching for information on regards to HIV infections in Sosua and the DR. So far I have not found any updated information, other than infection statistics from 2001. Does anyone know where to find current information on regards to this topic?

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
let's see. why would a country that depends on tourism post HIV stats ? i'm being serious here.....

abnor

Nov 7, 2006
I know you asked about stats but I pass by the opportunity to say, "Condoms, first time, every time, all the time." Though not 100% protection it is a good start!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have been searching for information on regards to HIV infections in Sosua and the DR. So far I have not found any updated information, other than infection statistics from 2001. Does anyone know where to find current information on regards to this topic?

If you need to ask...you need to cover up at all times or stop playing.

...just saying.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
Just remember that condoms brake. It happens all the time. But for sure, we must cover up at all times and get tested if the condom does brake.

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
DR HIV AND AIDS ESTIMATES (2009)

<DL><DT>Number of people living with HIV <DD>57,000 [49,000 - 66,000] <DT>Adults aged 15 to 49 prevalence rate <DD>0.9% [0.7% - 1%] <DT>Adults aged 15 and up living with HIV <DD>54,000 [45,000 - 62,000] <DT>Women aged 15 and up living with HIV <DD>32,000 [26,000 - 37,000] <DT>Children aged 0 to 14 living with HIV <DD>N/A <DT>Deaths due to AIDS <DD>2,300 [1,300 - 3,400] <DT>Orphans due to AIDS aged 0 to 17 <DD>N/A </DD></DL>

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
figures dont really mean much, the population figures arent even accurate

and Im not thrilled with the title of the thread - why not just the north coast or whole island

Aug 21, 2007
I have driven women with HIV to the Puerto Plata clinic. I can tell you, there is a little machine where you pull out your number and then wait. There is standing room only, as all the seats are filled. The wait is long. The results take weeks to come, some never (for some reason.) Many children are in the clinic as well as adults. The clinics that I know of are funded abroad. As funds diminish, more people are rejected from treatment....or never followed up.

This is a male dominant society. A woman will never deny a man she "loves" intimate relations. And that is the hook......She is infected, as is the child she brings into the world.

I have driven them to the clinic for treatment. I have delivered food packets when they are too ill to care for themselves or their children.

AND, I can tell you, while there is standing room only in the clinic waiting room, 90% of those waiting are women and children.

NOW, I am confused.....HOW can they become infected???

And THAT should tell you something about the statistics......

Lindsey

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Magic Johnson is still alive...now that's a magic JOHNSTON !

I think the meds are $30k U.S per year if that's the way you want to go!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Let me just say, in all of the researching that I have done for the Birth Center, researching big organizations/donors, etc. There is ALOT of money out there for AIDS clinics, education, research, etc. in the DR....

They do not throw $$$ like that at something that is not a huge problem. Out of all of the grants I researched for the DR, over half of them were AIDS related.

SHALENA

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I want to thanks everyone for talking about this topic and for your good inputs. I was tested this week and thank God I'm negative. I get tested once or twice a year, specially when I know I have had risky encounters.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If you have recently had a 'risky' encounter you will not know anything for sure for another 3-4 months.
HIV is not like a STI, it can take months to show up.

And for gods sakes if you have a lot of 'risky' encounters (and it sounds like you might if you are tested regularly) and this is because the condom breaks, please go and ask a nurse how to put them on properly as you would seem not to be doing so. If it is just because you don't like them or are drunk, then please try harder, think of others if not for yourself.

Good luck.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I want to thanks everyone for talking about this topic and for your good inputs. I was tested this week and thank God I'm negative. I get tested once or twice a year, specially when I know I have had risky encounters.

I don't know how old you are but you sound.....ummmm, let's go with my mother's saying....
"Young, Dumb, and full of C*m"

Please think about what you are doing. No vagina is worth dying for, believe me, I look at them everyday...I have yet to see one worth dying for, including mine.
If you don't know how to put on a condom correctly, Google it, for God's sake.

SHALENA

TonyDman

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 4, 2011
I'm aware of the time-window. I have done a lot of reading on HIV. It surely is scary dealing with HIV and specially when you are waiting for the test results. Thus, I have stop most risky encounters for sometime now. Condom breaks usually have happen to me do to over use and prolong intercourse with the same condom. I'm sure I'm not the only that this has happen to in Sosua. Everyone talks about been safe and to always use condoms, but few say anything about the risk of condom breaks or how to avoid such situations. I'm not going to lie, it is horrific for me each time I get tested.