Problem with a manic mouse (IT variety)

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have just moved house. Same inverter (5kw), same 12 batteries, same laptop, same area, same luz. With the inverter installed, when I am on inverter power my touchpad mouse goes crazy. Won't do what it is told, opens things as soon as it passes over the icon with no need for a click. Unusable. As soon as street power is back on, the mouse returns to normal.

The electrician has checked voltage and is perfect at 110, checked sockets, perfect. The only difference between this house and the last is that the luz is coming into the inverter at 220. Every other electrical appliance works perfectly.

I really need to fix this as am on a D circuit so only have luz for around 10 hours out of 24. Any idea what causes it and what I/he can do about it?

Thanks

matilda

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Then you can try and plug in a regular USB mouse and see if that works OK. I am not a touchpad man, old school I guess. LOL

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
yes i could do that, but I would like to know what is causing it, as if something is making the touchpad crazy is it doing any damage to the computer or other appliances?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
yes i could do that, but I would like to know what is causing it, as if something is making the touchpad crazy is it doing any damage to the computer or other appliances?
Check the touchpad settings and see if there are any changes there.

Did you guys move?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Disable the touch pad see what happens. If it is the physical touchpad then it will still do it when you have it through USB, if it stops when you disable the touchpad then you know where the problem lies.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
42925_91506_1.jpg
try it while wearing mouse ears

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Ok call me stupid but can find no reference to a touchpad anywhere. Just mouse and within that pointing device and nothing appears to have changed. It refers to a mouse and the picture looks like one of those wireless ones. No reference anywhere to s touchpad. Windows 7 btw.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
It might not be called touchpad but will likely be the only thing listed in there.
Control Panel and double click the Mouse properties icon (in devices and printers)

Go to 'mouse properties' 'Device settings' box where you enable and disable, your touchpad will be listed, possibly touchblahblah, just disable it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I did. That's what i was saying. It appears the only thing listed is a usb mouse or wireless mouse which I don't have. And, the point is it can't have anything wrong with it as is perfect when the street power is on, perfect on the battery, just goes crazy when the inverter is on. That is what I don't get.

Mat

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you plug in a USB mouse and then go back to your control panel and see if then there would be TWO devices there. Then you can disable the first one. Maybe you can just borrow a mouse to try this.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
I hate to say this, but

if that was my beautiful new home
I wouldnt spend a lot of time on my computer lol

manu

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
control panel.
ease of access.
change how your mouse works.
there is a "active window by hoovering over it with the mouse" or something similar. unclick that.
see it that works...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks for all advice. Manu I still need to keep in touch with mates lol, and dv8 my mouse hoovering button (haha) isnt clicked!! As I said is perfect on street power just goes loopy on inverter. Will just go onto battery when inverter on until Monday and try with usb mouse. I still want to know what is going on with inverter to make it happen!!

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Sorted.

For those who would like to know what the problem was. The electrician had checked the neutral and positive and all was fine re voltage. However, the house is wired for earth but not earthed. My plug for computer has 3 prongs, one for the earth. The earth wire was also giving out 110 volts lol. The reason it was only a problem when inverter comes on is because the street power is lower than 110 so you don't notice as much.

Two solutions - Dominican would be to snap off the earth prong, but we disconnected the earth as it was wired in with black sticky tape next to the positive in the main box where the wiring was lol.

Thank you for all your suggestions anyway!

matilda