Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Article: One babys story shows why Haiti is no place to give birth

Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Article: One babys story shows why Haiti is no place to give birth

Here is an article in today's Toronto Star about what it's like to give birth in Haiti.

Although I know Haiti as a country has challenges on all fronts, including health care, hospitals (or the lack of good ones) etc the severity of the issues really hit home after reading an article like this one. It just accentuates the huge challenges of the country and the impact it has on every aspect of the daily lives of its population.

It's an incredible story of an under aged girl who gave birth but the out come was not good. The article reveals so many issues about the need for basic health care, non sanitary conditions, still births, lack of good hospitals with proper equipment, funds etc. just to mention a few primary challenges.

Here is the link: World News: One baby

-Marianopolita.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Babies having babies; lack of birth Control and education is a huge issue even in so-called first world countries. What chance does a 14 year girl with a grade six education have.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

How incredibly sad and angering!!! It brings up so many questions.....What is the government doing?.....Why are the masses so passive in such a state of affairs?...Why wasn't Duvalier brought to justice?..(I might know part of the answer to this one)...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I cannot imagine the numbers of young girls having children and as Bob wrote what chances do they have? Very sad and upsetting.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

SO very sad, but help is needed.... who will be the one to step up and drive change? I doubt it will be the government.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

A moving story - many people forgo luxuries and give generously but not enough. Also there is much that the DR has done to help.
    Perhaps a much higher air tax should be imposed.
    France introduces controversial air tax | EurActiv
    Can the super-rich pay more texes.
    France's rich ask to be taxed more - Business - CBC News
    pi2

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RobGar View Post
    How incredibly sad and angering!!! It brings up so many questions.....What is the government doing?.....Why are the masses so passive in such a state of affairs?...Why wasn't Duvalier brought to justice?..(I might know part of the answer to this one)...
    Why is the sky blue. Why is it the governments fault that 13 year old girls are getting pregnant? Hospitals, doctors, education....etc all take a lot of money and other resources before they are effective. Haiti is a bottomless pit, and not much seems to stick.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There are hundreds of Midwives who volunteer in Haiti, some for months at a time. I know of several who have left their lives and moved there. They open clinics and run them on donations alone.
    But without a single care from the government, this is not sufficient enough. As told in the article, and as everyone knows Midwives are not educated nor equipped to perform C-sections or do they sometimes have the medical means in their clinics to handle very serious complications. They then have to transfer the patient, but to where? Not every area is as fortunate as that one to gave an American run hospital nearby.
    The country has to care, the government has to care, or we can send thousands of Midwives, OBs, students, etc. and it will still be the same 10 yrs from.now.
    Just like in DR, who's Maternal mortality rate is no where near Haiti's but is still 10x the USA and Canadian rate, until the Dominican government or the people as a whole start to care, nothing will change. We can only try to avoid death, one woman, one baby at a time.
    I would like to stress something so that people can ponder on it a little....
    The majority of Haiti's maternal/infant mortality rates are due to pre-eclampsia and eclampsia.
    The majority of Dominican Republic's maternal/infant mortality rates are due to infection, and secondary hemorrhage.
    Hmmmmm.....

SHALENA

9. Likes Marianopolita, nsgirl liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Why is the sky blue. Why is it the governments fault that 13 year old girls are getting pregnant? Hospitals, doctors, education....etc all take a lot of money and other resources before they are effective. Haiti is a bottomless pit, and not much seems to stick.
    Because men like the young girls next door neighbor, who raped her, are not being prosecuted and thrown under the jail.

SHALENA

Moderator 📚 Español
    Post Thanks / Like

Default One article, many issues...

It's interesting how one article can evoke so many different perspectives from each reader. After reading the article, my first thought was about the deplorable and poor conditions of the hospitals and overall health care in Haiti which should not be a surprise but it just reiterates what many already know.

Girls and women of all ages in Haiti get pregnant with no means to support their babies but that's not the primary issue of this article as I understand it. However, Shalena hit the nail on the head. Many young girls are raped and this has been one of the biggest problems now in the tent cities after the earthquake. The cases of rape have increased to point where girls and women feel helpless. There are articles about this among the numerous problems brought about from the natural disaster. The Miami Herald specifically has published a clip about what is now a new phenomenon called tent babies. Not all girls and women who give birth are rape victims but a considerable number are in such cases.

In summary, the article addresses the collapsed health system in Haiti which was already in dire straits.

-Marianopolita.

12. Likes Africaida liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast