Land

D

Doug

Can anyone give me the approx price of property per hectare, across las americas in Boca Chica. Now I realize that all property has a different tag on it, but I just want to know a very approx price. Also it must be serviced or be able to be serviced with out much cost/difficulty (relative of course)I am looking for land no more than 1/2 km from hiway, if it is even to be had. Also the name of a contact would be nice as well. There is land in Mexico that could be traded if certain parties were interested. Also what costs are there, and can it be done to sub-devide property? Once you own a parcel of land can you (as the owner)sub-divide it? And taxes what type and approx costs? Are they paid yearly or I've heard that it is a one time cost? Are there regulations for the size, shape, use, and so on? Any help would be very helpful, Thank You. I have Re/max trying to help me but they are not a big help and very inefficient.

J

Jim Hinsch

About RD$500 per square meter. The price varies based on lot size and exact location. Taxes are about 10% in order to get the actual title (ayudamiento fee). Contact me before you buy, as I know some lot owners that wish to sell their lots so you can get a better price than buying from the developer.

K

Keith

Commercial Land info

Doug,

Concerning your questions on regulations regarding the use of land; it will greatly depend upon what you would like to do with it. If it is for a commerical use, first you get a deslinde for your property from Castastral Nacional, then based upon your proposed use, you MAY need to change the zoning, secure permission from DEFINPRO for use of land in tourist area, secure permission from : environmental, Defensa Civil (nacional), Bombero (local), Turismo, La Liga Nacional, local Ayuntamiento, ENDESUR (in your area I believe), INAPA and Obra Publica (comprised of many departments, not all of which may be applicable). There are others involved such as DIGENOR, etc., that are more specific and may apply in your situation. All of these permissions are important and while denial in any one can stop (forever) your commercial project, the main ones to check BEFORE you make a purchase for a proposed commerical project are DEFINPRO, Turismo, and Obra Publica (in this order) to determine if they believe the project will be allowed. And be prepared, the aquisition of permissions is a lengthy process which can create a fair amount of frustration, ex: DEFINPRO approx 6-9 months, Obra Publica ( 6-9 months), each of the others about 2 months apiece with the exception of Castastral which will take almost a year at times to return a legal deslinde of your property.

E

Ed and Mame

Re: Commercial Land info

Keith, you explained about commercial land very well. Can you do the same, for us, regarding land we may purchase on which to build a home? Thank you very much. -Ed and Mame- (Florida)

G

Grahame Bush

Hi Ed,
We have just completed building a house in the Puerto Plata area & I can give you the information for here. Where do you intend buying the land? Are you aware of the hazards of building your own property?

Drop me an e-mail if you are thinking of the north coast area & I will continue this further. Best regards AND Best of Luck!! Grahame ^_^

S

Sarah

Would like to know the "hazards", in your opinion...could you list them here Grahame? Thanks, Sarah

K

Keith

Ed & Mame

Ed & Mame,

It has been a few years since I have been involved in residencial construction here, so things may have changed. Keeping that in mind, I'll try to highlight a few areas that should warrant some attention. In your selection process of lots, keep in mind that the removal of trees can be a difficult process here. For example, if your lot has several large trees (especially if they are fruit-bearing!!) that must be removed for your house, it may be difficult if not impossible to receive permission to remove them from Forestal. If this is the case, I would recommend either to seek another lot or buy the lot AFTER the current owner aquires the permission AND removes them (be sure to keep the original permission from Forestal, you may need it later). Whichever, you should keep in mind that tree removal is serious here and you should only proceed with this action after permission is received and once again, hang on to the original. Always use a competent attorney for your land purchase who will perform the title check (no liens, etc.) and verify the survey with your own agrimensor (surveyor) as a precaution. Unless there exists some intrinsic dispute as to the location of the lot, a deslinde is not necessary for a residencial project but your attorney can advise you on this. As for permissions needed, dependent on the location of the lot, usually you will need only DEFINPRO and the local ayuntamiento (town hall) to approve your project (and this is rather simple and quick, nothing like a commerical project). Unless you plan to do it yourself, your engineer/architect will handle all of this for you. Unless you affect some type of public area (i.e. entrance on main road, close to public water source, etc.), you will not have any type of inspections after you begin (so you need to have a competent builder/engineer/architect for the job to ensure all is done correctly since there is no building inspector to check the wiring, plumbing, etc.). Probably the most difficult task that you face will be the selection of your builder. Most architects here are engineers and builders and if licensed have a CODIA number which will ensure you that they are licensed. I personally have found that the architects that I have used here to be highly competent and professional and very attentive to the quality of the project and customer satisfaction. I personally (let me emphasize PERSONALLY) would refrain from using foreigners to build your house (even though the temptation is great due to the language, etc.) and would use a local (dominican) builder who knows the area, local labor pool, town hall etc. and will not likely leave the country due to economic or personal vicissitudes. I would highly recommend talking to others such as Mr. Bush who have recently gone through the process in order to aquire indspensible personal advise and reflections on their experiences. Finally, I would visit and talk to owners of past homes your selected builder has completed; if he/she is a professional, they will be happy to do this. As a last note, I would like to add that construction costs here, depending on the house of course, is roughly the same as in the U.S.

H

Henry

Re: Ed & Mame

Well, I know a foreigner who is 100 % MORE reliable than local builders - and he is also an architekt! (Only a exception???)

When I restored my building in the colonial zone in Santo Domingo I had a (local) architekt to got me all the permits and the plan - and that was it! From there on I guided the construction with my builder and my truckdriver! That way I saved 50 % of the costs!! This is because architects like to sell you the bloc at 10 pesos when it costs only 9!!!!

Good luck!

Henry

K

Keith

Henry and Ed & Mame

As Henry stated, you can certainly save money by doing some or all of the construction yourself. Personally, I always get all of the permissions myself, design my own buildings (and have a friend who is a licensed architect stamp them), hire all of the workers and supervise all of the construction thereby avoiding builders, maestros, etc. which saves both money and aggravation. Of course architects and builders charge you more than they buy it for, this is a business for them not an exercise in charity. For example, in some commercial jobs, the going rate for getting the permits and plans approved is around 1 million pesos ( about $65,000.00 usd), while the costs in taxes, stamps, etc. will be around $ 8,000 to $ 10,000 usd. Thus you are paying someone for their knowledge and expertise around $ 50,000 usd (for what can be several years of work). This is a risk vs. cost decision that you have to make. While I am sure that there are many qualified foreigners building in this country, I have seen an unusually high number of foreign builders run into money/personal/lifstyle problems simply leave the country and their unfinished jobs (along with the bewildered client) behind with the job incomplete. As I said before, ask for references as choosing your builder can be the most difficult decision.

R

Royal you future husband

Re: Henry and Ed & Mame

Regarding building a house. If anyone wants a good person (canadian been there for 20yrs, north coast, Cabrera) Hi name is Donald Bergeron, he works for a company named Orchid Bay. Very trust worthy. Did my 1 bedroom home in 5 months. When I saw it for the first time it was more than i expected. Let me know if you want info on how to contact him.
Roy

G

Grahame Bush

Keith & Henry have covered most of the points but the main problem I found was the 'Engineer' ( person responsible for ensuring the building was put up right & met local building standards??!!), was not a born supervisor. I had to check him, check & chase the labourers, make suggestions as to HOW the job could be done to meet the architects design & then how to put right the areas he had screwed up. You need to be there (on site) 2 or 3 times a day to check things are going right so that they can reastart the job they are screwing up before they go to far on it!!

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the finished result - I just know it could have been done better & more correctly to the architects drawings if some elementary supervision & basic European, American &/or Canadian building concepts had been activated during the actual building procedure. If someone is actually starting some building works down here & wants aditional information, just drop me a line. Grahame ^_^

S

Sarah

Thanks, Grahame. My situation is a bit different, in that my friends are building it for me. I'm only there twice a year to take a look at their progress, and not in any hurry for it to get done. But I do understand where you're coming from. Have a good one, Sarah