Malarone a MALARIA deterrent PILLS CAN YOU BUY IN DR WITHOUT PRESCRIPTION??

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
WILL BE TAKING A TRIP AND WILL BE LLOKING TO TAKE Malarone to ward off Malaria .Can you buy this in the DR without a prescription ?IN Spanish is there adifferent word for it????thanks

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
WILL BE TAKING A TRIP AND WILL BE LLOKING TO TAKE Malarone to ward off Malaria .Can you buy this in the DR without a prescription ?IN Spanish is there adifferent word for it????thanks

Errrrrrr, malaria is not actually an issue here.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
arrrugula, you would be much wiser to avoid arugula in the Dominican Republic than worry about malaria. Only a handfull of cases of malaria reported yearly but plenty of hepatitis A from greens.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's possible that the OP is in the DR and is planning to travel to a country where malaria is a problem.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
It's possible that the OP is in the DR and is planning to travel to a country where malaria is a problem.

I think there's malaria problem in Haiti. As a doctor told me once: The mosquito does not stop at the Haiti -Rep?blica Dominicana border

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
If the poster is travelling to the DR, are they aware that you have to start taking the medicine 2/3 days before entering the risk area (and for a week after leaving it)? If travelling direct into the risk area that would rule out buying it in the DR.

They should be more aware of Dengue fever. Much greater risk except in a few very specific areas.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe dv8 can advise, but if not, the OP should ask in one of the larger pharmacies in Santo Domingo or Santiago. Even if they don't have it in stock they will probably be able to order it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have not seen malarone so far but i will check it out today. GSK meds are sold in DR so the lab itself is not a problem but this particular medicine may not have the government permit for import.
also, malaria medications are not so popular in DR so maybe there is no demand for malarone.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Although travel doctors will advise you to take anti-malarials I don't find it necessary when travelling to DR. The risk is relatively low and the side effects of taking the drugs can be pretty bad. I had taken them once before to travel to Laos which is a realy high malaria risk and had to stop taking them mid course because I was having horrible side effects including, dizziness, splitting headaches, nausea, disorientation and dillerium. After that, I'd rather take my chances with the moquitos. I'd advise if you are concerned about what vaccines to take, to consider an oral vaccine for travellers diarrhea which also protects against cholera. I've taken Dukkoral vaccine which you just mix up with water and drink and have had no issues in that area... I've eaten mostly with locals and from vendors because I don't often stay at hotels and just drank bottled water etc and had no stomach problems.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I AM LEAVING THE COUNTRY TO TAKE A trip to SOUTHEAST ASIA !!!!!!WANTED TO SEE IF I COULD PURCHASE THE MEDICINE HERE!! DONT PANIC!!

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
Traveling to southeast asia

THANKS FOR INFO AS ISAID i am teking atrip to southeast Asia so hoped i could buy medicine here in the dr >I know there is NO PROBLEM HERE FOR THIS MEDICINE TO BE NEEDE HERE iS THIS CLEAR?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Although travel doctors will advise you to take anti-malarials I don't find it necessary when travelling to DR. The risk is relatively low and the side effects of taking the drugs can be pretty bad. I had taken them once before to travel to Laos which is a realy high malaria risk and had to stop taking them mid course because I was having horrible side effects including, dizziness, splitting headaches, nausea, disorientation and dillerium. After that, I'd rather take my chances with the moquitos. I'd advise if you are concerned about what vaccines to take, to consider an oral vaccine for travellers diarrhea which also protects against cholera. I've taken Dukkoral vaccine which you just mix up with water and drink and have had no issues in that area... I've eaten mostly with locals and from vendors because I don't often stay at hotels and just drank bottled water etc and had no stomach problems.

All medication could bring side effects. It seems that you had the worst of the worst.

A low risk (malaria in this case) is still a risk. Doctors say that the risk of having side effects are less than the risk of catching malaria (or are smaller than the side effects of the malaria) but they are only doctors are they not ??????

toyloy

Oct 31, 2011
If i am moving to the dr is it better to ship my furniture or buy there. We don't have a lot of money. How expensive is it there i have been trying to fine stores there and prices online but i cant seems to find any. Thanks.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks that very helpful thailan laos area is where i am going

Hi, I spent a month in Laos and Thailand. Mosquitos are pretty much everywhere and it's unavoidable to be in malaria zones there because there's so much standing water with all of the rice fields. Even in the capital, Vientiane you have the Mekong River running right through the city. Depending on where you'll be spending most of your time, I'd say the most comfortable place I visited climate wise was Louang Prahbang up in the mountains. It was much cooler and a beautiful scenic city full of temples. It's the old imperial city surrounded by mountains full of banana trees and stepped rice pastures. Anyway, If you haven't seen a travel doctor, I'd advise you to get the vaccine for Japanese Incephalitus which is a very nasty form and it's mosquito bourne as well. Good luck on your trip with all of the flooding that's been going on in Bangkok I hope you'll be avoiding that area... it's rife with waterbourne illness right now.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
All medication could bring side effects. It seems that you had the worst of the worst.

A low risk (malaria in this case) is still a risk. Doctors say that the risk of having side effects are less than the risk of catching malaria (or are smaller than the side effects of the malaria) but they are only doctors are they not ??????

I've had malaria before as a child and the symptoms I had were less than the side affects I had from the meds. I spoke to a pharmacist because I was concerned about the risk of contracting it again and he informed me that the ingredient which caused the negative reaction was a common ingredient found in most of the anti malarials. So in my case, I can't take them. Perhaps others can but in my case, I was totally grounded and bed ridden for days with side affects. I'd rather enjoy my vacation and take the precautions like using mosquito repellant and sleeping with a net than go through that again.