Playa Encuentro

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
By guagua or publico from Sosua, what is the best way to get to Playa Encuentro.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just take the Publico from Sosua to Cabarete and tell the driver to stop at Encuentro. You know where it is I assume.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Just take the Publico from Sosua to Cabarete and tell the driver to stop at Encuentro. You know where it is I assume.

I know generally where it is but would like to know how to get to it from the highway. Is there a sign or something at the access road that would tell me this is the right place? I would prefer to be able to tell the driver where to stop.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
There should still be access at the entrance of Mariposa, just walk towards the beach.

Aug 21, 2007
It is at Coconut Palms, Ken. Go up the little hill. Follow straight. Last I was there, it was a dirt road. The road wraps around to the left and goes down. Then turns to the right to the beach. If it is you going, know that it is a bit of a walk from the main road to the beach. If you are going to watch the surfers, then once at the beach, go to the left and follow the road down a bit to where the surfing is going on.

A second option is to enter at the Hideaway Beach entrance on the main road. Do not turn into the Hideaway Beach property, where the guard house is, but follow the road to the right. Keep on going. You eventually end up at Encuentro Beach.

Again, it would be a bit of a walk.

Lindsey

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm accustomed to walking. A walk of a mile or so is ok I'd like to photograph the surfers.

Which of the suggested routes would be best

Aug 21, 2007
That's a hard one. It's probably further the Hideaway Beach way. Sunnier the Coconut Palms way. Your choice? Shorter walk in the hot sun or longer walk in the shade.

Good luck!

Aug 21, 2007
One other option for one of the most beautiful walks of all......go into Perla Marina. Park at Natura Cabana and go in through there to the beach. Follow the trail just above the beach. It goes all the way to Encuentro. You see some of the most beautiful, natural beaches which are absolutely empty. At times, you can walk it right on the beach. Other places you must go back up on the trail. The trail is mostly shaded.

The is the longest way of all to Encuentro, but if you want some nice exercise and gorgeous vistas, it is the best.

Lindsey

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you would have to be there very early in the morning I think, there is a route through on the road where arsenios is now, there is a turning near the security gate

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
you would have to be there very early in the morning I think, there is a route through on the road where arsenios is now, there is a turning near the security gate

Thanks for all the suggestions. One of the owners where I live has a daughter taking lessons at the surfing camp. Speaking with him a few minutes ago, he also recommended the road by Arsenios restaurant. He thought that was the most direct route and the one they take when driving their daughter to the camp.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It appears jharley is right about the early hour. I just looked at the Masters website and see the competition starts at 7 am. Is this because the surf is better early in the morning?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
I'm accustomed to walking. A walk of a mile or so is ok I'd like to photograph the surfers.

Which of the suggested routes would be best

You did not finish your sentence: and post them on dr1.

Cannot wait to see them

Aug 21, 2007
I believe- ISS parents, correct me if I am wrong- that there are kids surfing there a couple of days a week after school.

Lindsey

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Thanks for all the suggestions. One of the owners where I live has a daughter taking lessons at the surfing camp. Speaking with him a few minutes ago, he also recommended the road by Arsenios restaurant. He thought that was the most direct route and the one they take when driving their daughter to the camp.

This is a bit more direct if driving from Sosua, but the second entrance (Coconut Palms) is a nicer walk...

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Just to second the walk from Natura Cabana. I actually work there and do this walk to Encuentro (and sometimes all the way to Cabarete). It is indeed a really lovely stretch of coast...one of the nicest around and only takes about 20 minutes

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I believe- ISS parents, correct me if I am wrong- that there are kids surfing there a couple of days a week after school.

Lindsey

Yes, there are children going to the surfing camp after school. But what I would really like to photograph are the Masters next weekend and they start the competition at 7 am.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You did not finish your sentence: and post them on dr1.

Cannot wait to see them

I will, but what I have been concentrating on are the kiteboarders. I have what I think are some really good photos. I'll post some of them during the coming week. This weekend was especially good. Usually I take 100-150 photos and get 3 or 4 "keepers". This weekend I got lots of keepers.