How do I import a classic/collector car into the DR?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is not a classic yet. Classics are 25 years old. However, if you look up this topic in the search function, you will find a long thread about just this issue.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Still waiting as to why you questioned this.
Because noobs tend to be full of baloney, rp, that's why.

They often talk about big plans and then disappear.

They talk about their bona fides and then get busted (like the infamous "MBA in Economics" :cheeky:)

I take folks who don't live here but pontificate about their big plans with half a grain of salt.

I refer you to one of CB's Law of rhetorical Economics:
The reason "talk is cheap" is because the supply far exceeds the demand.

No offense, when you DO it, you'll have more credibility, especially as a noob.

I am aware there are a few places but for where I drive it should be ok. Also the body kit is only about 3k yo the DR. If it is light damage I can repair it myself. I am a former I-Car trained collision expert.

I don't want to pay that much but if I have to I will.

@ cobraboy - What does any of that have to do with whether or not I own the car?

Rev. Paul

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am aware there are a few places but for where I drive it should be ok. Also the body kit is only about 3k yo the DR. If it is light damage I can repair it myself. I am a former I-Car trained collision expert.

I don't want to pay that much but if I have to I will.

@ cobraboy - What does any of that have to do with whether or not I own the car?

Rev. Paul
Makes no difference to me. I merely asked for bona fides. You sent a veeeeeeeeery long list by PM I guess I'm supposed to guy buy without question.

Which begs the issue: why would a recent "reverend" dedicated to helping the poor in the DR need...or want...such toys while in ministry? Do you not understand that undermines the credibilty with those you purport to help? Most....almost ALL...missionary's and preachers I know in the DR...and there are a BUNCH...pretty much sold all their earthly possessions to serve the Lord in modest near-poverty.

You know Reverend Ike?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lets put it in simple terms. When someone new to the DR comes up with questions at anyone who has lived here considers to be outlandish in their scope, we tend to be skeptical that this person is "real". Especially when the advice given, to a man, contradicts the desires of the poster while the poster charges full speed ahead insisting what must be done. And I am actually more on your side than most being a former Fiero owner (of a much less worthy car at that).

Also keep in mind that where you can go with such a car will change often.

It is wonderful that you can do your own work on cars, because that will be a major hobby for you here as your car becomes one more billiard ball in the game of 8 ball played on the roads here in the DR.

Nov 25, 2008
We all have doubts when people of the "cloth" says their here to help...just look at the PUCMM and the man in charge....if he doesn't look like a gangster I don't know what does.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
I was thinking about bringing in a 1989 Turbo 930 Porsche Cabriolet with 36,000 miles on it that I keep at home in NJ. I was planning on taking it to my house in the Metro Country Club in Juan Dolio. I thought about it and realized that, aside from a few days when the weather is comfortable enough to ride with the top down, it made no sense at all to risk the roads, that drivers, and the lack of counter-party insurance coverage in the country resulting from a concho vehicle and/or most anyone else ramming right through the vehicle.
I suggest, forget it. IN the DR you can have lots of fun repairing your windshield cracks monthly.

Not that it is anyone's business, I have given up my house, rental houses, job, all collector cars and motorcycles except for war hammer and the Harley (still making payments). War Hammer will not be donated or given away as it is the 1 thing I kept from my wife after her passing. Ministers make a living. We have houses, families and personal lives. I am not a monk.

I never asked for anyone's opinion on the practicality of using my car there. I only have put 500 miles on it since I received it. All I asked was how do I get the car imported.

@cobraguy - I have been ministering and counseling since 1995. Not exactly a new thing to me. Just now a full time thing. The list of vehicles was to demonstrate I know a little about cars. Yes in my day I have had a few. I have fixed and/or restored many. I was extending the hand of friendship to you and you have smited it. Why, I do not know.

I only point this next item out as it was brought up. All of the disciples worked and earned money. They had lives. Read your bible. I have not taken a vow of poverty but have never accepted a dime from someone for any religious services -even if offered.

To all please remember that if you do not have anything good or nice to say it is better to say nothing at all. When you say negative things it only makes you look small.

Reverend Paul

I was thinking about bringing in a 1989 Turbo 930 Porsche Cabriolet with 36,000 miles on it that I keep at home in NJ. I was planning on taking it to my house in the Metro Country Club in Juan Dolio. I thought about it and realized that, aside from a few days when the weather is comfortable enough to ride with the top down, it made no sense at all to risk the roads, that drivers, and the lack of counter-party insurance coverage in the country resulting from a concho vehicle and/or most anyone else ramming right through the vehicle.
I suggest, forget it. IN the DR you can have lots of fun repairing your windshield cracks monthly.

The few days make it all worth while.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Not that it is anyone's business, I have given up my house, rental houses, job, all collector cars and motorcycles except for war hammer and the Harley (still making payments). War Hammer will not be donated or given away as it is the 1 thing I kept from my wife after her passing. Ministers make a living. We have houses, families and personal lives. I am not a monk.

I never asked for anyone's opinion on the practicality of using my car there. I only have put 500 miles on it since I received it. All I asked was how do I get the car imported.

@cobraguy - I have been ministering and counseling since 1995. Not exactly a new thing to me. Just now a full time thing. The list of vehicles was to demonstrate I know a little about cars. Yes in my day I have had a few. I have fixed and/or restored many. I was extending the hand of friendship to you and you have smited it. Why, I do not know.

I only point this next item out as it was brought up. All of the disciples worked and earned money. They had lives. Read your bible. I have not taken a vow of poverty but have never accepted a dime from someone for any religious services -even if offered.

To all please remember that if you do not have anything good or nice to say it is better to say nothing at all. When you say negative things it only makes you look small.

Reverend Paul
Pretty hateful and angry for a "reverend."

Would Jesus have acted this way?

What is a "reverend" doing with a collection of cars in the first place? What about setting an example for the flock?

Or, like I said, Reverend Ike...
ike.jpg

...had a car collection, too...

Dude, seriously, making payments on a Harley? Really?