Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Americanized Dominican Republic

Dominican loves USA.

They celebrate Halloween and Thanksgiving.
    But no Carnival or make a party for Duarte.

They use costumes at Halloween but not in Carnival.

I love the country but I'm still trying to understanding this fascination for the USA.

Why American Events are most important that the local / traditional party ?

I hope don't see a party at DR in Fourth of July.

2. Likes Rosss, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Dislikes belmont disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Think of the USA as the promised land for some Dominicans ( my wife is not included in that group).
    People at one time risked their lives in great numbers to reach Neuva York by Yola. I think those numbers are down, but the magic of "Living in the USA" in Boston or Manhattan is still a major Dominican Dream that persists.

Post Thanks / Like

Dominicans don't celebrate or use costumes in carnival? Since when?

5. Likes Chip, belmont, Ezequiel, Taino808, las2137 and 1 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    Dominicans don't celebrate or use costumes in carnival? Since when?
    I think maybe the OP lives in Dominica and is confused???

7. Likes Chirimoya liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

OP needs a trip to La Vega during Carinval.

Post Thanks / Like

Also Cabral, Barahona, Montecristi, Cotui, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Punta Cana, La Romana, San Pedro, San Francisco, Bonao...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

besides the costumes/carnaval, the OP wrote what it really is like in the DR

Huge americanization (at uber-US prices) and wanna-be-like-americans and less rooting for what's really "Dominican" - be it culture, history, values, etc.

11. Likes carlosbra liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

america is a role model for many countries
    i think a bit of americanization ain't that bad, shame that it only extends to making more excuses to get sloshed (see: american holidays) and less to, say, customer service
    and it never ever seem to have anything to do with low prices. quite the opposite, anything american is uuuuuu and has uuuuuu price. mind you, i am not saying everything in USA is cheap but it pi**es me off big time when i see stores in POP with american clothes (medium and lower shelf) bought at sales for 5-10-15 dollars and then proudly sold at 50-100. what a f**king joke!
    even english has wormed its way into dominican spanish. my clients pay "cach", need lottery "tike", drink "wiki" and greet me (!) with "bye bye ladi".

13. Likes Matilda, SKing, Chirimoya, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not a Dominican phenomenon. As a matter of fact I would say The DR still maintains a stronger identity than a lot of other countries I've visited. For instance in Mexico there's a huge segment of the population that just loooves American music and doesn't care for the local music, loooves American football, and would rather go to a Chili's than a true Mexican restaurant. It's like that all over (i.e. Puerto Ricans have pretty much lost their identity). In the US a lot of people feel anything European is better and I'm sure the opposite is true in Europe. People don't usually appreciate what they have...you know "The grass is greener on the other side"

15. Likes Chirimoya liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

OP you need to travel to different regions of the country, you will see that Dominicans are very proud of their heritage and YES costumes are a very big part of that. At Carnival and even some Patronales (not sure of the spelling but local celebrations). More people seem to (try) speak a bit more english in recent years and yes some celebrate American holidays but this is to be exepcted. Times have changed and they have more access to the US and the culture in the US. Dominicans living in the US have a big influence on this also. For example, my neice and nephew think their life will not be complete until they can spend at least 1 Christmas in the US so they can experience what I call the " Santa Claus frenzy". When my son was young and was in the US he could not wait for Halloween, I mean the thought of being able to go door to door and get candy was just unbelievable for him. Don't be mistaken though, Dominicans very much indeed celebrate their culture and heritage and are very proud of that.

17. Likes Chirimoya liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast