food questions

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
I am spending the winter in Sosua, and since I am on a special diet I am wondering if goat milk is available. And how about dairy free butter?

Thanks!

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
By dairy free butter, do you mean margarine? It's everywhere. Mantequilla is butter, margarina is margarine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
goat milk in shops? never seen. dairly free butter? never seen.
but you can buy soya milk or almond one.

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
hmm it is butter based on olive oil. I can't eat dairy products but goat milk I can handle. Thanks for the considerations. Is there a health food store where you can buy organic products?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Margarine is often not dairy free...however im not sure if they stock a dairy-free marg in the supermarkets. Ill have a look next time im in playero

I honestly never knew that until now. This site can be so educational.

And to the OP: I have noticed that Nacional supermarkets in Santo Domingo have what they call a natural foods section. I have looked a couple of times, but never really closely.

And if bad comes to worse, you can always order via the internet, or speak to a local goat farmer who might be willing to keep you supplied with goat milk.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
most of the supermarkets have health food section and there are organic food stores in SD.
goat milk... well... there is a cheese shop in sabaneta, past cabarete, they may have it. but it will be untreated so do boil it.
i have seen, i think, some olive oil based spreads in la sirena but i would not guarantee they have no animal fat until i see the label. and even then i assume that some of the Es are definitely derived from cow milk/bones/skin/whatever.
soy/almond milk is really tasty (chocolate flavour is to kill for) so i would stay with that.

i am sorry to say that DR ain't the best place for an allergic wimp :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and i forgot to say that yes, la sirena has goats cheese, few varieties.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I am spending the winter in Sosua, and since I am on a special diet I am wondering if goat milk is available. And how about dairy free butter?

Thanks!

There is condensed goat milk available at city market in Sosua. Mind you, it is not cheap.

Although there are plenty of goats here, all farmers think you are out of your mind when you ask for milk.

Maybe an idea, there is a hard goat cheese here which is dominican. Look up the name, and contact the producers. Maybe they can help you.

Castellamonte

Bronze
Mar 3, 2005
Cabrera
www.villa-castellamonte.com
Not in Playero (yet). Nacional in Santiago or Santo Domingo or La Sirena in Puerto Plata have health food(ish) sections of the stores where this may be located. But, on reflection, I do not believe the Nacional ones have refrigeration so I'm unsure. But I would visit them and possibly inquire with them as to where lactose intolerant products could be had. I'm sure there are Dominicans with that enzyme deficiency so there must be a local solution.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is no need for the human body to consume milk products what so ever. Soy products arereadily available in many stores in the DR and will meet your dietary needs. As far as taste , that's another matter all together. Me, I love soya milk, and soya garlic spread.

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
There is no need for the human body to consume milk products what so ever. Soy products arereadily available in many stores in the DR and will meet your dietary needs. As far as taste , that's another matter all together. Me, I love soya milk, and soya garlic spread.

Yes soya milk doesn't sit with me very well. Butter based on soya is no problem.

I am on a sort of Caveman diet. Tough, especially while being in a other country.

Melja

Sep 2, 2011
There is condensed goat milk available at city market in Sosua. Mind you, it is not cheap.

Although there are plenty of goats here, all farmers think you are out of your mind when you ask for milk.

Maybe an idea, there is a hard goat cheese here which is dominican. Look up the name, and contact the producers. Maybe they can help you.

So even though plenty of goats nobody drinks the milk or eats the yogurt? I do use the milk to make yogurt of it. The milk tastes very good!

Since I am Dutch I grew up with a good choice of great cheeses. It is tough sometimes not being able to eat them but goat cheese is now and then a good option. And luckily that is around!

Thanks for the idea to contact the producers of the local goat cheese.

Feb 7, 2007
I honestly never knew that until now. This site can be so educational.

Yep, me too... I buy MAZORCA margarine, it has the lowest calories/trans fat count among the margarines sold in Higuey, and it is marketed as corn margarine. I never knew about dairy ingredient until now... checking the label..and behold, ingredients milk and butter.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Margarine is often not dairy free...however im not sure if they stock a dairy-free marg in the supermarkets. Ill have a look next time im in playero

I've never seen margarine that isn't "dairy" free. It's normally made of veggie or soy oil rather than milk... But it can contain lactose if that's what you meant. For any of us who are lactose intollerant, that's the main concern LOL Even a lot of popular condiments, vitamins and even hot dogs etc.. contain lactose :eek:( I usually go with the olive oil or soy based margarines and there's no issue...

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
hmm it is butter based on olive oil. I can't eat dairy products but goat milk I can handle. Thanks for the considerations. Is there a health food store where you can buy organic products?

I'm lactose intollerant too but I've noticed that I can get away with eating a limited amount of the cheese and some cream in Dominican Republic without any ill effects. I'm not sure if it's because the cows are grazed naturally and not fed steroids and hormones to make them produce more milk etc... or what. But as soon as I ingest dairy products in North America you can hear the pipes creaking as soon as it reaches my stomach.. Some of the hotels boil the milk they serve for the morning coffee which helps too I think. I've started drinking black coffee now but when I'm in DR I love to indulge in a cappuchino with real milk and boy do I ever covet cheese cake and I take advantage of being able to eat that every time I'm in DR. LOL

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I've never seen margarine that isn't "dairy" free. It's normally made of veggie or soy oil rather than milk... But it can contain lactose if that's what you meant. For any of us who are lactose intollerant, that's the main concern LOL Even a lot of popular condiments, vitamins and even hot dogs etc.. contain lactose :eek:( I usually go with the olive oil or soy based margarines and there's no issue...
Mancera Margarine contains skim milk,
ftmargmaniimg.gif

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Mancera Margarine contains skim milk,
ftmargmaniimg.gif

It's the first time I've ever seen actual leche/milk in margarine. Now I've got even more label reading to do next time I go down... I'm curious now to know if this is the same for Canadian margarine. I'll be on the lookout. Thanks.