Great Movie On Netflix (DR Related)

eastcoastmike

Jul 18, 2004
I saw "La Soga" on Netflix last night.The movie takes place in Santiago.Its about a man caught between trying to live an honest life but having to play the corruption game to survive.Great movie!Very accurate!

Palma

Nov 20, 2005
Excellent movie. Everyone, who thinks moving to DR, should watch it first. It will answer many of your questions.

Feb 7, 2007
There is also "La Soga", el P.N. teniente, from Mao who is on the run and being asked by the chief of police to surrender... quite a coincidence

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
great film, a real eye opener. Interesting though that Netflix doesn't carry this on the Dominican access site. I found it though when I signed on through my US Television VPN.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
According to sources "LA Soga" was part of a "Hit Squad" in the Police, commanded by none other than the current chief, Polanco. This was over 5 years ago when Polanco was commander of Santiago. The PN spokesman Baez was the second in command and followed Polanco in command of the town.
All the other three members of that squad are now dead,and all were shot to pieces!. There were over 100 bullet holes in the little car driven by "Cabrerito" who was killed here in Santiago.
The "businessman" (you can imagine what business he was really in) from SFM, allegedly a "really" bad man, allegedly hired "La Soga" for a job for RD$250,000. Thing was La Soga got the guy but the guy turned out to be the brother of the woman Polanco is currently doing...or so the story goes around town...there are a lot of names involved...
My guess is that La Soga is just trying to stay alive at this point.

HB

Feb 7, 2007
Why better you dont go to store and buy it original for 200pesos and help the Dominican filmmakers.
Because I don't care for seeing that movie...that's why. I posted the link for an interested third party. They may not necessarily even be in the DR to get a hold of the film.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
great film, a real eye opener. Interesting though that Netflix doesn't carry this on the Dominican access site. I found it though when I signed on through my US Television VPN.

Real eye opener how? This movie is fiction albeit supposedly based on the story of a rogue cop they used to call "La Soga" it takes extraordinary poetic licenses...what part was the eye opener?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
According to sources "LA Soga" was part of a "Hit Squad" in the Police, commanded by none other than the current chief, Polanco. This was over 5 years ago when Polanco was commander of Santiago. The PN spokesman Baez was the second in command and followed Polanco in command of the town.
All the other three members of that squad are now dead,and all were shot to pieces!. There were over 100 bullet holes in the little car driven by "Cabrerito" who was killed here in Santiago.
The "businessman" (you can imagine what business he was really in) from SFM, allegedly a "really" bad man, allegedly hired "La Soga" for a job for RD$250,000. Thing was La Soga got the guy but the guy turned out to be the brother of the woman Polanco is currently doing...or so the story goes around town...there are a lot of names involved...

HB

This is what makes my membership in DR1 so worth it!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know why somebody would claim that anybody who lives in Santiago needs to know about the soga. Certainly locals have heard of him but if you are not involved in illegal nor high profile businesses it's every bit as relevant as growing up in the South and worrying about the Mafia.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I thought it was a good movie and never once doubted the "story" behind it...:speechles

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009

HB

lol, are we talking the movie here, or the guy on the run or both?
i own the movie, but haven't quite gotten around to watch more than the first half. i was surprised by the quality though, unless the story arc doesn't quite work out in the second half, it seemed like a very good movie.

GinzaGringo

Sep 29, 2010
Watching this movie to learn about the DR or Santiago is like watching Jaws to learn about Marthas Vineyard.

I personally did not like the movie very much. It reminded me of one of those shlocky Hollywood action B-movies from the 1980s starring Chuck Norris, albeit it was set in the DR and it was in Spanish. There may be some two bit thug in Santiago on which the movie was loosely based but other than that it was pure nonsense.

Watch it for what it is, a low-grade pulp fiction that sensationalizes and fetishizes violence. When I say pulp fiction, I am not talking about Quentin Tarantino here, I am talking about the dimestore novels that were printed on cheap pulp paper and published fantastic, escapist fiction for the general entertainment of the mass audiences.

Was the movie entertaining? It was mildly entertaining. In summary, two out of five stars.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
great film, a real eye opener
Another person who saw it and "it was a real eye opener"...again where's the eye opener part? Maybe you thought Dominicans didn't make movies? Also Palma says that "Everyone, who thinks moving to DR, should watch it first. It will answer many of your questions." Really? What's wrong with these people.