Fishing

M

mike

I am considering visiting in the winter around the end of december (christmas time) How is the fishing, what areas produce the best, and what species are caught this time of year?

Thank you

H

Henry

Mike please

Where are you going?

What kind of fishing you talking about?

We may can help you better having this minor specifications!

Thanks

Henry

E

El Gato

Hi Mike!
The 'best' (Marlin) fishing is found out in the Mona Passge between the DR & Puerto Rico, the boats are out of the Marina at Punta Cana.
Winter is not the best time the water's often too cold and rough, the best water being closer to PR necessitates a somewhat long run under often adverse conditions.
Skiffs are available country-wide for fishing Dorado/small Tuna closer to shore but unless you have your own gear you'll be disappointed with what's on offer.
Most operators in the DR are used to having 'party charters' aboard, people who's sole intention is to get drunk while going for a Boat ride.
Thus boats lack quality crews, gear, lures and safety equipment.The only Outriggers I've ever seen in the DR were aboard a PR based charter local guys have no idea what they were and insisted they were of no use (!)
Rarely mentioned is the total Catch & Kill attitude of DR charter boats who seem to be a good 15-20 years behind many other locales.
There is some Inshore Fishing for the usual Caribbean species, Tarpon, Snook and Barracuda especially around Bayahibe.
No Bonefish flats to speak of although Bones are around.
The Dominican Republic isn't on anyone's Top 10 list of Fishing destinations for the reason's I've mentioned, it is possible to have some fun but the primitive conditions in the industry mean serious Anglers are rarely found on DR boats.

M

mike

Fishing follow-up

thanks,

We are still toying with the idea of coming at christmas time, fishing is my main idea of a good time i will post a message soon with more specific areas of where we might be.