American company and contracts in the DR

UNAVCO

Nov 2, 2011
We are a US based non-profit research group. We are entering in to various MOU's with DR Govt agencies and some private companies to place seismic sensors in the DR (and other Caribbean countries). We are being asking to provide the name, address, marital status, and passport number of our company president. The DR party is providing this for their president or director. This all goes in the front of the document during the antecedents. Our president will not provide this information and it is really hampering my negotiations.

My question is: Is this a normal request in the DR and other Latin American countries?

Mil gracias in advance.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It is a practice that is used in the US for much Government work. They want to know who they are dealing with in any country.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
At least from an American standard, you practically can't do any business, create any partnerships nor get any jurisdictional permits without the personal info of the president or partner of any business. They don't however generally ask for the marital status and passport number. I understand the need to have the latter if working with foreign individuals, as far as the former I have no idea.

Feb 7, 2007
"This all goes in the front of the document during the antecedents."

If what you are talking about is contract, then YES, DR contracts usually have FULANO NAME, NATIONALITY, OF LEGAL AGE, MARITAL STATUS, DOCUMENT # (cedula, passport), ADDRESS. So yes, it's normal.

WHY they have to put whether somebody is single or married into contracts, I do not know, but IT IS a custom.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We are a US based non-profit research group. We are entering in to various MOU's with DR Govt agencies and some private companies to place seismic sensors in the DR (and other Caribbean countries). We are being asking to provide the name, address, marital status, and passport number of our company president. The DR party is providing this for their president or director. This all goes in the front of the document during the antecedents. Our president will not provide this information and it is really hampering my negotiations.

My question is: Is this a normal request in the DR and other Latin American countries?

Mil gracias in advance.

It is normal.

I ask, just to mix things up a bit, why not provide it and WHY would you/he want to do business in the D.R.? Many larger Corps. have tried and many have failed. Some wish that they hadn't come and some can not figure out how to get out.

Since your Corp. Pres. does NOT know how things work, here or anyplace else.... stay home.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hey guys this person is not setting up a business here per se but actually providing a great service by adding more seismic sensors so I don't think they should be discouraged because they aren't in it for the money.

That being said, I don't know why the principal or president of the NPO should worry about giving some minimal private info away for what appears to be a low risk project.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hey guys this person is not setting up a business here per se but actually providing a great service by adding more seismic sensors so I don't think they should be discouraged because they aren't in it for the money.

That being said, I don't know why the principal or president of the NPO should worry about giving some minimal private info away for what appears to be a low risk project.

I think that the D.R. has had many seismic sensors and experts here. I've met a few myself. They have/were given permission to study the D.R. at no cost to the D.R. being that they are research that would help the D.R. and everyplace else concerned.

The problem, without a moments hesitation from any of the people/organizations is that those that are hired to get the data, relay the findings, check the equipment or maintain it. DON'T.

At lot of HAS been been done in the D.R. All for nothing.

We in the D.R. don't even have radar for rain.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I think that the D.R. has had many seismic sensors and experts here. I've met a few myself. They have/were given permission to study the D.R. at no cost to the D.R. being that they are research that would help the D.R. and everyplace else concerned.

The problem, without a moments hesitation from any of the people/organizations is that those that are hired to get the data, relay the findings, check the equipment or maintain it. DON'T.

No offense Ringo but I really can't understand what you posted. Tell me again the problem with having scientists set up seismic reading stations?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

What don't you understand Chippy?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
It is normal.

I ask, just to mix things up a bit, why not provide it and WHY would you/he want to do business in the D.R.? Many larger Corps. have tried and many have failed. Some wish that they hadn't come and some can not figure out how to get out.

Since your Corp. Pres. does NOT know how things work, here or anyplace else.... stay home.
Ringo, I think a bit of reading is in order on your part. Then you can admit that you didn't know what you were talking about. BTW, UNAVCO has about a 30 million dollar annual budget.
About Us | UNAVCO

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Ringo, I think a bit of reading is in order on your part. Then you can admit that you didn't know what you were talking about.
About Us | UNAVCO

You are right belmont. I don't know about you or UNAVACO. I was sharing information regarding your OP that asked about your PRES. not wanting to provide normal information as requested in order to do business.

As for the others that I have talked with they state what I have said. Some coming back and staying with us after a couple of years and wondering why everything stopped working. These are private, government and educational/research programs that stopped funding after they understood that things work differently in South America then at home in the U.S., Canada, U.K and Europe. They funded, installed and hired people expecting to gain information and learn. The information stopped rather quickly and after a year or two for one reason or another. They had no choice but to bail on the projects.

Good luck on your project.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You are right belmont. I don't know about you or UNAVACO. I was sharing information regarding your OP that asked about your PRES. not wanting to provide normal information as requested in order to do business.

As for the others that I have talked with they state what I have said. Some coming back and staying with us after a couple of years and wondering why everything stopped working. These are private, government and educational/research programs that stopped funding after they understood that things work differently in South America then at home in the U.S., Canada, U.K and Europe. They funded, installed and hired people expecting to gain information and learn. The information stopped rather quickly and after a year or two for one reason or another. They had no choice but to bail on the projects.

Not my "PRES", not my project. Just didn't want you speaking like my moron.
BTW, when did the DR become part of South America?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

I see little for the DR to gain by running off scientists that would come here to do work that benefits the DR.

As far as things "working differently" I can only assume the reason would be because the NPO's would not want to pay bribes, after all they are not in the business to make money.

I hope you are not trying to justify that vagabunderia.