will my phone from last year work now?

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
bought a cheap phone last year during my DR visit and i was wondering if it would work this year. could i just visit an orange store and have it reactivated or will i need to purchase another? thanks, ben

vid809

Jun 28, 2011
and as long as YOU bought the sim card with your name. they'll ask for the id that purchased the phone. if it wasnt you directly or if you bought it on the streets, then they wont be able to reactivate. better off buying a new sim card that cost $50 pesos

from what I understand, if you use those phones like once a month, it keeps them active. We got one that we left with a friend down there and she will just make a call once in a while on it. I will be back next month, so I will find out for sure if it worked then !

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Ooooops....NEVERMIND, The OP has gone and returned!

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
from what I understand, if you use those phones like once a month, it keeps them active. We got one that we left with a friend down there and she will just make a call once in a while on it. I will be back next month, so I will find out for sure if it worked then !

That is correct. If your friend remembers to make the calls and buys a new time card when necessary, the phone will stay active just as though you were here using it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For general information, I keep my phone activated by adding a few dollars before I return - E-Z-TOP does it.
That way , the phone works as soon as you hit the ground. No waiting to buy more time.

Any minutes that were left on the phone are reinstated and the expiry date gets pushed out.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
No, it will not work. Take it to Orange or Claro and they will put in a new sim card. You will also get a new number.

S