How many of you have a pilots license, can you get it in DR?

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I know quite a few Expats have a pilots license, be it Heli or Plane, my question is did any of you gain the license from within the DR, or did you arrive with it, is a license gained in the DR recognized internationally. Also, do you have a plane or Heli in the country and are you permitted to use it for commercial use?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I have nearly the same question as GaDaH; i have a co-worker back in Norway who would like to come down here and re-new his expired pilots license. is there any place on the island where he could do this, and if so, any contact information would be appreciated.

Thank, FRank

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a flight school at STI with a couple of newer 172's and some CFI's, upstairs on the right of the GA terminal. However, ramp security at the airport is very intense, and rental is costly.

Pilot licenses don't expire, however a physical does. What he needs is a bi-annual flight review.

There are specific rules for a plane and a pilot in commercial use. a good site to cruise in landings.com. Very comprehensive.

But to save $$$ and get a license much faster, do one of the immersion Private License courses offered from a Part 141/142 school. Right now they are begging for students. Many are located in FL.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks very much for the Info!!

There is a flight school at STI with a couple of newer 172's and some CFI's, upstairs on the right of the GA terminal. However, ramp security at the airport is very intense, and rental is costly.

Pilot licenses don't expire, however a physical does. What he needs is a bi-annual flight review.

There are specific rules for a plane and a pilot in commercial use. a good site to cruise in landings.com. Very comprehensive.

But to save $$$ and get a license much faster, do one of the immersion Private License courses offered from a Part 141/142 school. Right now they are begging for students. Many are located in FL.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Flying Days (PPL)

I flew for 24 years (Europe, Africa).
PA12, MS893A, C150, C172, Piper J3C (that I liked best), PA28, C172XP, TB10, C FR172G... little things, I know...
In 1997 I bought a C182 in MDPO and flew it over here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
Two years later I flew it to KFLL and sold it.

donP

Do not own an aircraft here.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Were you permitted to fly for commercial basis or restricted at all?
I am wondering simply as I have different stories from different people. My pal Thomas Karrer has license to fly commercially but for some reason my friend from Spain is unable to come and work on a commercial basis. It is unclear if this is because his license is not recognized in the DR or simply foreigners can not fly commercially in the country, or he is simply not qualifies 'enough' to fly around the DR. I am being told (by him) foreigners can not fly commercially (no matter what), but I find it difficult to believe when Tom has for many years up until recently.
Any light on this matter?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Were you permitted to fly for commercial basis or restricted at all?
I am wondering simply as I have different stories from different people. My pal Thomas Karrer has license to fly commercially but for some reason my friend from Spain is unable to come and work on a commercial basis. It is unclear if this is because his license is not recognized in the DR or simply foreigners can not fly commercially in the country, or he is simply not qualifies 'enough' to fly around the DR. I am being told (by him) foreigners can not fly commercially (no matter what), but I find it difficult to believe when Tom has for many years up until recently.
Any light on this matter?
Only a Dominican can fly commercially here. However, any licensed pilot can fly in the DR. I flew my plane here for years.

An aircraft has to be maintained under stricter standards to be flown commercially.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't know if getting a pilot's license is a sure way to get a job - one of the guy's working at the PUCMM copy shop has a commercial one here and can't find a job.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
And so I must presume by this that Tom gave up his citizenship and became full on Dominican, that might answer the confusing query of mine. If you submit your own Citizenship then you are under the wing of the DR right?

Although that is a big commitment, but one I think the crazy people would do in the blink of an eye if it resolved the issues of the moment.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't know if getting a pilot's license is a sure way to get a job - one of the guy's working at the PUCMM copy shop has a commercial one here and can't find a job.
It certainly opens up possibilities for self employment.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And so I must presume by this that Tom gave up his citizenship and became full on Dominican, that might answer the confusing query of mine. If you submit your own Citizenship then you are under the wing of the DR right?

Although that is a big commitment, but one I think the crazy people would do in the blink of an eye if it resolved the issues of the moment.
Only a Dominican citizen can fly commercially in the Dominican Republic on an aircraft based or registered in the Dominican Republic.

I don't know how more clear that can be.

Additionally, the number of flying jobs in ther DR is a very, very small number. Not only that, even with basic flying jobs being very low paid, they are even lower in the DR.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Only a Dominican citizen can fly commercially in the Dominican Republic on an aircraft based or registered in the Dominican Republic.

I don't know how more clear that can be.
You don't need to be, you merely clarified what I stated above.

Additionally, the number of flying jobs in ther DR is a very, very small number. Not only that, even with basic flying jobs being very low paid, they are even lower in the DR.
Yeh I see that and is why I mentioned options to go self employed, but even then getting the jobs or opportunity is not easy from what I'm told. But it's something to be considered I expect and then dismissed to the trash as most things are in relation to enterprise in the DR.
Thanks!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
you can fly commercially if you are not a dominican but it would have to be done illegally. This mean, you will fly for hire and charge but not declare it. Many people are doing it and dominican authorities look the other way. My friend who was trained in USA flew here as charter for many years. People would hire him and he would fly them anywhere but everything was done under the table. Dominican aviation authorities knew what was going on and they did nothing about it. This goes on here everyday.
AZB

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I flew for 24 years (Europe, Africa).
PA12, MS893A, C150, C172, Piper J3C (that I liked best), PA28, C172XP, TB10, C FR172G... little things, I know...
In 1997 I bought a C182 in MDPO and flew it over here.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx *
Two years later I flew it to KFLL and sold it.

donP

Do not own an aircraft here.

Why not? This is a great place to own an aircraft. There are tons of airports to go for your $100 hamburger. With a permiso de circulation our N reg Cessna 172 has the privileges of an HI reg. How about RDS1,800 a year for parking? Betcha can't can't get that anywhere else?

Personally, I wouldn't bother with a Dominican flight school, not with Florida just up the road. There you will get quality training. I trained here and got my PPL in 18 days. Flight Training and Accelerated Flight Training - Orlando, Kissimmee, Florida

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
D@mn, I have always wanted to do that!!....Well, if the beach house sells, maybe..??

HB

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
you can fly commercially if you are not a dominican but it would have to be done illegally. This mean, you will fly for hire and charge but not declare it. Many people are doing it and dominican authorities look the other way. My friend who was trained in USA flew here as charter for many years. People would hire him and he would fly them anywhere but everything was done under the table. Dominican aviation authorities knew what was going on and they did nothing about it. This goes on here everyday.
AZB
True. A couple of Canadian friends flew full time for a company in Santo Domingo for years. Not sure but I think one still does.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Well since we have a few licensed pilots here in the DR, myself included, with various ratings, perhaps we could form an International Flying Club! Just a thought. :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Well since we have a few licensed pilots here in the DR, myself included, with various ratings, perhaps we could form an International Flying Club! Just a thought. :)
I would be interested. I'd be more than happy to buy a piece of a nice 172 with decent radios and a GPS for punching sky holes and $100 hamburgers around the DR.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Anyone else? We COULD DO THIS!! I think it would be a great idea!! The well organized club I belonged to was based out of Republic Airport in Farmingdale. I earned my Private ticket (SEL/MEL/Inst) with them since they had their own CFI/II's. The fleet consisted of a Cessna 150/172, Piper Cherokee/Warrior and a Piper Seneca. We were able to purchase block time at significant discount prices and given bonuses if we purchased more than 10 hours at a clip which was a good thing. I believe I paid $300 for membership and $100 a month dues, I'm talking a few years back. During the start of my Commercial training in 1996, my CFII was hired by COMAIR and that was that. I never completed the training and I surely miss flying!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I'm in! It would be great to get more involved with like minded aviators in the DR. I share the C172 with my Dad (AKA Wrecksum) We are based in POP. We also have a friend who is a retired airline pilot who also want's his own plane.

I suppose that the most expensive thing about aircraft ownership is the maintenance. For us that's not an issue. I am a professional aircraft maintenance engineer. Although I mainly use my European maintenance license for work, I also hold FAA A&P with IA so I can do annuals on N reg as well. We also have experience in buying aircraft from the US and bringing them here if anyone wants any advice.

I'm trying to set up a small maintenance organization in POP, have a look at my website Puerto Plata - POP - MDPP - Dominican Republic

One day I would like to build some hangars at POP. But maybe that's just a pipe dream at the moment.