Ummmmmm How do I do this????? Please help!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
I have almost Zero shipping and customs experience, but I have a riddle that needs solving.

I am purchasing a special trapeze for a Show we have in Guyana in December which costs around US$3,000, It weighs around 200lbs, which consists of two boxes (Box one 80 x 8 x 8" weighing 80 lbs & Box two is 63 x 17 x 15 ' weighing 60lbs), very light for a trapeze and breaks down into small pieces which is the reason i want it for this gig and many to come.

The trapeze will be purchased in Florida and allthough i have a E.P.S address I figured it would be worth shipping it direct to Guyana to avoid complications on day of travel for me and to make sure it is there well in advance. However I have been told that cost with UPS is $2,000 just for shipping and i will have to pay the customs charge ontop of that. Then I have to get it back to DR again.

If i have it delivered here with my E.P.S over 100lbs address the price will be fine, but then i have to take it with me to guyana. Would i have to pay taxes on it entering Guyana and then again entering DR when we return...No idea :confused:

As you can see i need some advice from the people who know, have so much to organize and this is driving me nuts ha ha.

facelessdoll

Oct 20, 2011
Call your courier, although they might not be able to provide the exact amount you will pay, they will be able to say if you will have to pay taxes...

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
EPS - Miami to SD,

80 lbs. will be RD$8,579.00
60 lbs. will be RD6,434.00

Regular Service.

And your taxes will be an additional 16% of invoice value if over US$200.00, if you do not include an invoice, it may just pass without taxes (because it will be such an odd unrecognized item) or it my get held up while they ask you to provide the invoice, your choice.

Flying into Cheddi Jagen Airport, you could try to carry it in as your baggage. They may just look at at it ask you what it is, not know what to do and just welcome you to the hinterland!

or Your contact in Guyana should be able to inform you of the procedure to carry in articles of entertainment whilst paying a minimum tax. I do know most of the islands, including Guyana collects an entertainment tax on imported shows, thus you will need this permit, legally speaking.

But then again, talk about laid back, you are going to Guyana after all.

Give my Best to Sam H. and my x!

g'luck

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I would think you can handle is similar to traveling with an expensive camera or watch. Fill out a customs declaration before you leave the country, so that when you return you have proof it was in your custody before you left. Similarly, declare it when you enter Guyana and again declare it upon leaving with it.
This is the form I use when leaving the US Registration for Dutiable Personal Articles Prior to U.S. Departure - CBP.gov
Check with Dominican Aduanas for a similar form.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Crikey am in Aduanas website and am looking to see if i can download of read info on registering personal articles prior to departure and I am stumped...not for the first time I assure you ha ha

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
For the Guyana portion : I am Guyanese and have travelled in and out of Guyana with a crew many times with professional equipment (large amounts of video equipment). It should not be a problem because with this circus taking place in a small country (not island) the airport crew will be aware of it. Just go to the "nothing to declare" line (there are only 3 lines in total) and if asked state verbally what it's for and its purpose. I disagree about declaring it on Guyana's form....that's complicating things.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Oh you mean we will be like celebrities turning up, fab!

Note to self: For god's sake put some Make-up on ha ha

Seriously you onviously know more than me but I am a born worrier and allthough i dont doubt what you are saying is true I will spend the whole flight worrying about it.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
For the Guyana portion : I am Guyanese and have travelled in and out of Guyana with a crew many times with professional equipment (large amounts of video equipment). It should not be a problem because with this circus taking place in a small country (not island) the airport crew will be aware of it. Just go to the "nothing to declare" line (there are only 3 lines in total) and if asked state verbally what it's for and its purpose. I disagree about declaring it on Guyana's form....that's complicating things.

However that doesnt help me with when we leave and re enter the DR :/

whiddons

Dec 19, 2010
:) Definitely wouldnt venture to say anything about the DR part , I'll leave that to the resident experts.
However let me add that personally I have travelled with my equipment from the US to nearly all the West Indies including Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, Trinidad, St Lucia, plus parts of Central America including Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador and have also entered DR with them and never had a problem.
I hope you can get more definitive answers from others so you can enjoy the trip and get some peace of mind. Good luck and you can PM me if you need some contact info for the Guyana leg!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
:) Definitely wouldnt venture to say anything about the DR part , I'll leave that to the resident experts.
However let me add that personally I have travelled with my equipment from the US to nearly all the West Indies including Jamaica, Antigua, Barbados, Trinidad, St Lucia, plus parts of Central America including Guatemala, Nicaragua and El Salvador and have also entered DR with them and never had a problem.
I hope you can get more definitive answers from others so you can enjoy the trip and get some peace of mind. Good luck and you can PM me if you need some contact info for the Guyana leg!

Thank you so much, very kind. We will be performing in the National stadium in Georgetown.

I will hope someone can help with regards to DR, but i will keep doing my homework. Just want all this headache out the way so i can concentrate on the performance itself.