android smartphone purchase

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I avoid phones in general. It goes back to my old painful memories of days of cold calling life insurance sales I am sure. But now I need one and thought I would get a smartphone for a dummy. I think I like what I hear on androids and dropped into several stores to buy one but only received lots of blank stares. I am heading for an infrequent trip to the capital Monday for one day. Could someone help me out please? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive android smartphone that works well or should I go with a more expensive brandname even if I only use basic features. Is Android a good smartphone direction to go for a newbie and where is a good place in SD to start looking for a suitable purchase?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Look on the CLARO website - they offer them there.

I bet the SDQ airport store has them on the shelf..... Departures level

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
The price varies on what features you want
touch screen or no touchscreen
slide/flip keyboard
camera
memory etc.

Phones will be cheaper if you get a plan (the plan subsidizes the cost of the device) if you get a prepaid account then you will have to pay retail for the phone.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
Saw a couple Samsung Android phones at Orange today. They had the Samsung Galaxy Ace for around 9000 with a 2 yr contract (I think it was around 15000 w/o contract...not sure). They also had the really nice Galaxy S2 but I didnt even bother looking at the price of that dualcore beast (one of the thinnest and most beautiful phones ive ever seen)...

Way overpriced but they are available...

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
If you want cheap, I think Alcatel just released a couple Android phones... Think I saw one at Orange as well...

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The features are a problem in the decision making process. I do not want features just because they are available. So many you end up never using. It seems the way people play at those touchscreen phones you never want to stop and it is like the best thing ever. Better than talking to someone or reading or most anything else. I might want one of those.

I find cameras annoying to use and the type of person to buy someone elses art or a postcard but then someone told me they are necessary if you ever have a theft or accident. Now I see the safety aspect of a built in and want one but certainly not to videophone as I hate putting on makeup before a phone call (really just kidding on this one).

Memory would be nice if I would want to use the phone for my tunes and it would make me more inclined to walk more and a quicker pace depending on the beat, but I would be ****ed off if it wore down my battery and it was dead when I wanted to talk a picture of the person that just stole my phone. Of course that is silly too as we all know why.

Why is it so complicated? Music, pictures, touchie feelie screen probably all have become important.

Not sure I would want a plan unless it really saved a lot on the long run as I hate contracts that are locked in. Unless you save a bundle if you figure it out to the end. I really do not plan to use many minutes unless I get lots of new friends as a result of dancing down the street and they all want my phone number.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The features are a problem in the decision making process. I do not want features just because they are available. So many you end up never using. It seems the way people play at those touchscreen phones you never want to stop and it is like the best thing ever. Better than talking to someone or reading or most anything else. I might want one of those.

I find cameras annoying to use and the type of person to buy someone elses art or a postcard but then someone told me they are necessary if you ever have a theft or accident. Now I see the safety aspect of a built in and want one but certainly not to videophone as I hate putting on makeup before a phone call (really just kidding on this one).

Memory would be nice if I would want to use the phone for my tunes and it would make me more inclined to walk more and a quicker pace depending on the beat, but I would be ****ed off if it wore down my battery and it was dead when I wanted to talk a picture of the person that just stole my phone. Of course that is silly too as we all know why.

Why is it so complicated? Music, pictures, touchie feelie screen probably all have become important.

Not sure I would want a plan unless it really saved a lot on the long run as I hate contracts that are locked in. Unless you save a bundle if you figure it out to the end. I really do not plan to use many minutes unless I get lots of new friends as a result of dancing down the street and they all want my phone number.

It sounds like a Motorola Startac will serve your purpose, you can get them on eBay unlocked for $10 USD!

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
The chance of loss and getting water damage seems to me to be proportional to the cost. You only get to keep the cheap ones for a long time. Except for sunglasses and they disappear equally. The Galaxy Ace sounds nice although more expensive than my netbook.

Does dual core mean different company SIM cards or more like a dual processor computer.

Can you use the Galaxy Ace on Orange only? Actually my duaghter uses claro and I was told to switch to orange for use in Samana an least.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Also I live in a low reception area to begin with. Do some cellphones have better low signal reception than others. Sometimes it feels like all cells are made for areas that have great signals only. A cellular desk phone Huawei Claro with the big antennae seems to work ok at my place, but handheld cellulars are more sketchy. Someone came here with an LG and their phone worked when others have not.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
I have HTC Mytouch 4G, to me is one of the best android ever made. I bought it 7 months ago, and I still discovery some new stuffs to play everyday. very easy to use.
you can get it in Amazon very cheap now and save some money.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
I think all android smartphones are actually pretty dummy proof so if you are comfortable on your PC then you will be fine using any android based phone. Go to one of the malls where they have a 'main' store and not a shop. This will ensure that have all options available. There you can take them all on a test drive. Just pick one that 'feels' right.

It sounds like you are getting a prepaid plan. Then i recommend first choosing a service. Choose the service that all your friends are on whether its orange, claro, viva, etc. No need to take a survey just take a guess. This way you get all the nights and weekends bonus when calling people on the same carrier.

Think about what you really want the smartphone vs. regular phone for.

I have the samsung Galaxy S II. i also have a blackberry bold (work). If i the blackberry didnt have bbm then i wouldnt ever turn it on. The galaxy s has everything you could ever want.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have an HTC Inspire 4G. I love it, I am addicted to it. And the best part is that, I bought it for a whopping 20 USD ! :)

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Just went to town and low and behold I found the new Alcatel Orange in a small shop. It was 5600RD W/O plan. I almost bought it right away and then I asked how the reception compared to the Sony Erikson (not an android) right next to it. He told me that the android phone was awesome and a great phone but the sony would give me a stronger signal. I left without a purchase. Will have to think it over. Do you think the HTC Inspire would have a better signal than the Alcatel and maybe equal to the Sony. I wish I could try a few at home. I would not even mind an android with weaker reception if it actually got reception at some functioning level. decisions decisions I need an aspirin

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What you need to do first is check which company has the best signal where you are going to use it. The signal strength of the phone will not help you if the reception with the company you choose is bad in your area.

See if you can borrow a phone or two from someone and check the signal strength where you live.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I now understand Orange has the best signal where I spend most of my time. I also see online Orange has better pricing than the stores. I am narrowing the whole complicated procedure down thanks to everyones input. I am wondering if a Samsung Galaxy Ace at 10,990RD would have a better reception than a Alcatel One Touch 890 at $4990RD. The specs show all the fancy features advantages like a better camera but I am not sure about measuring the sensitivity of the antennae or maybe even if there are other factors that would make one unit pick up a signal better than the other model. If the Alcatel did the basic phone function as good as the fancy models then I would pick that one. If not then I would pay the additional cost to have good reception.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Gordon, I am not sure the phone is going to make much of a difference on your reception. The reason I say that is because I have virtually no signal at home (thanks ATT !) and changing phone didn't make much of a difference. It is only slightly better with my HTC , but nothing to write home about. What I did is get a bluetooth enabled phone, so that my cell phone connect to my landline phone and I don t miss calls when I am home :bunny:

Just my 2 cents...

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Thanks Africaida. I think you are right that it will not make much of a diff. Unfortunately I do not have access to a land line. I do know that when I had my stick internet (before my current 3G) I bought a router that accepted sticks and I could pick up a much better signal. But that fact it was easier to find a "sweet spot" had something to do withit. Probably was my best sweet spot was when my router was placed on top of my fan and one day I forgot and turned on the fan and my router flew off the deck. darn!
Thanks everyone for the inputs.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
I have owned a couple Alcatels with GREAT reception and a couple with horrible reception... Kinda hit and miss with the cheaper brands. Currently own a Nokia 5230 with amazing reception (bought from Orange for around 5500RD, not sure if they still have them but you might want to check)..... great little phone, touchscreen, and has GPS. Only drawback is no wifi and a tiny bit on the slow side but not too bad of a problem.

If I had the $$$ i'd be all over that Samsung S2....its being reviewed as one of the best phones in the world right now.

Edit: LOL putting the router on a fan blade, that is just GOLD!!! hehehe