Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default android smartphone purchase

I avoid phones in general. It goes back to my old painful memories of days of cold calling life insurance sales I am sure. But now I need one and thought I would get a smartphone for a dummy. I think I like what I hear on androids and dropped into several stores to buy one but only received lots of blank stares. I am heading for an infrequent trip to the capital Monday for one day. Could someone help me out please? Is there such a thing as an inexpensive android smartphone that works well or should I go with a more expensive brandname even if I only use basic features. Is Android a good smartphone direction to go for a newbie and where is a good place in SD to start looking for a suitable purchase?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Look on the CLARO website - they offer them there.

I bet the SDQ airport store has them on the shelf..... Departures level

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The price varies on what features you want
    touch screen or no touchscreen
    slide/flip keyboard
    camera
    memory etc.

Phones will be cheaper if you get a plan (the plan subsidizes the cost of the device) if you get a prepaid account then you will have to pay retail for the phone.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw a couple Samsung Android phones at Orange today. They had the Samsung Galaxy Ace for around 9000 with a 2 yr contract (I think it was around 15000 w/o contract...not sure). They also had the really nice Galaxy S2 but I didnt even bother looking at the price of that dualcore beast (one of the thinnest and most beautiful phones ive ever seen)...

Way overpriced but they are available...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want cheap, I think Alcatel just released a couple Android phones... Think I saw one at Orange as well...

6. Likes Squat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The features are a problem in the decision making process. I do not want features just because they are available. So many you end up never using. It seems the way people play at those touchscreen phones you never want to stop and it is like the best thing ever. Better than talking to someone or reading or most anything else. I might want one of those.

I find cameras annoying to use and the type of person to buy someone elses art or a postcard but then someone told me they are necessary if you ever have a theft or accident. Now I see the safety aspect of a built in and want one but certainly not to videophone as I hate putting on makeup before a phone call (really just kidding on this one).

Memory would be nice if I would want to use the phone for my tunes and it would make me more inclined to walk more and a quicker pace depending on the beat, but I would be ****ed off if it wore down my battery and it was dead when I wanted to talk a picture of the person that just stole my phone. Of course that is silly too as we all know why.

Why is it so complicated? Music, pictures, touchie feelie screen probably all have become important.

Not sure I would want a plan unless it really saved a lot on the long run as I hate contracts that are locked in. Unless you save a bundle if you figure it out to the end. I really do not plan to use many minutes unless I get lots of new friends as a result of dancing down the street and they all want my phone number.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    The features are a problem in the decision making process. I do not want features just because they are available. So many you end up never using. It seems the way people play at those touchscreen phones you never want to stop and it is like the best thing ever. Better than talking to someone or reading or most anything else. I might want one of those.

I find cameras annoying to use and the type of person to buy someone elses art or a postcard but then someone told me they are necessary if you ever have a theft or accident. Now I see the safety aspect of a built in and want one but certainly not to videophone as I hate putting on makeup before a phone call (really just kidding on this one).

Memory would be nice if I would want to use the phone for my tunes and it would make me more inclined to walk more and a quicker pace depending on the beat, but I would be ****ed off if it wore down my battery and it was dead when I wanted to talk a picture of the person that just stole my phone. Of course that is silly too as we all know why.

Why is it so complicated? Music, pictures, touchie feelie screen probably all have become important.

Not sure I would want a plan unless it really saved a lot on the long run as I hate contracts that are locked in. Unless you save a bundle if you figure it out to the end. I really do not plan to use many minutes unless I get lots of new friends as a result of dancing down the street and they all want my phone number.
    It sounds like a Motorola Startac will serve your purpose, you can get them on eBay unlocked for $10 USD!

9. Likes Africaida, badpiece33, Squat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The chance of loss and getting water damage seems to me to be proportional to the cost. You only get to keep the cheap ones for a long time. Except for sunglasses and they disappear equally. The Galaxy Ace sounds nice although more expensive than my netbook.

Does dual core mean different company SIM cards or more like a dual processor computer.

Can you use the Galaxy Ace on Orange only? Actually my duaghter uses claro and I was told to switch to orange for use in Samana an least.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Also I live in a low reception area to begin with. Do some cellphones have better low signal reception than others. Sometimes it feels like all cells are made for areas that have great signals only. A cellular desk phone Huawei Claro with the big antennae seems to work ok at my place, but handheld cellulars are more sketchy. Someone came here with an LG and their phone worked when others have not.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have HTC Mytouch 4G, to me is one of the best android ever made. I bought it 7 months ago, and I still discovery some new stuffs to play everyday. very easy to use.
    you can get it in Amazon very cheap now and save some money.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast