Toll Cost From El Catey to Las Terrenas OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
Just a week ago I was praising the opening of the new section of highway between El Catey and Las Terrenas. Now it seems the have imposed a minimum toll of $495Rds, except for motor bikes, to drive the 24km stretch. That is a ridiculous sum considering the fact that you can drive the entire length of the highway to Santo Domingo for about $350Rds. Who came up with this bright idea? It certainly wasn't someone that is interested in building the tourist business on the Samana Peninsula.

S

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I guess we will all keep on driving the Sanchez road... Such is life...
The cost of fuel and time savings doesn't justify coughing up 900rd$...
I am actually wondering who will pay ???
Probably the same old corrupt politicians who come on long week-ends... They steal so much money, they won't care...

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Or you could always take a picnic, stop along the way & enjoy the view, this way it becomes much less expensive per minute.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just to give you an idea of just how absurd this toll road is, Florida's Turnpike is 500 kilometers long and costs 21 dollars and 25 cents or RD$812 or a RD$1.62 a kilometer!!! FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER!!! And it only costs $16 and change if you have SunPass. and it is 8 and 6 lanes most of the way and four lanes at the end....

This is just one more sign of the "highway" robbery going on here. The freaking thing is said to have cost $150 million for the 24 kilometers, a truly outrageous cost per kilometer. The highway from Las Americas to El Catey cost $151 million, or many times less per kilometer.

Just one more proof of the outrageous corruption going on in this administration.

I researched a bit on the windmills and they are at least 1.5 million dollars more expensive per megawatt than any other wind generators in the entire area or the US....Gee, let me see,mmmmm 25 mW x 1.5 million = 37.5 million to "someone" for the approvals and so forth...or a RD$1.5 billion to the "comesolos".....

HB

Taino808

Bronze
Oct 10, 2010
I suggest that no one drives down this road, this way maybe, and I'm being very optimistic here, someone will notice and change the cost of these tolls.

On a lighter note, I drove this "new highway" before they began charging the excessive new toll, so you won't be catching me around that area for quite a long time.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
I stand corrected it is ONLY $450Rds each way not $495Rds as I originally stated. Sorry for the mis-information.

S

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
50 pesos each way sounds fair. If the local toll collectors could organize a huelga on the Sanchez road they could all buy another SUV each with the days collection.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004
This is loco. You're right HB, highway robbery. Glad they've fixed up the mountain road Time vs. money, we've got the time.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I flew over it today on our flight from PUJ to POP. Looks like a fun road to thrash a sports car or bike. I wonder how long it will be before the AMET are there with their fun detectors?!

6323204545_8e34918bb2.jpg
[/url]
Untitled[/IMG]

That's the runway for El Catey in the distance.

Last edited:

Peters

Jan 1, 2005
Hi:
I stand corrected it is ONLY $450Rds each way not $495Rds as I originally stated. Sorry for the mis-information.

S

The toll is charged only for one way on the road. If you return from LT on the same road there is no additional toll.

You can access the old road with no toll also still if you don't want to pay the toll.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The toll is only for one way on the road. You can access the old road with no toll also still.

Wait- I asked this question a week or so ago.

Is this 450 DRP charged each way or just once???

I have never gotten a straight answer.

Peters

Jan 1, 2005
The toll is only charged upon entering the road . I posted the fees on the other thread about this. You enter the road to LT you are charged. IF/ when you return from LT on the same road there is no additional toll.
In essence this makes it $225.00RD each way. The SD highway charges both directions.

These are round trip fees:

Vehicles category 1 (Jeeps, cars) – 450 RD $
Vehicles category 2 (minibuses) – 920 RD $
Vehicles category 3 (trucks, buses) – 1200 RD $
Vehicles category 4 – 1700 RD $

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The toll is only charged upon entering the road . I posted the fees on the other thread about this. You enter the road to LT you are charged. IF/ when you return from LT on the same road there is no additional toll.
In essence this makes it $225.00RD each way. The SD highway charges both directions.

Thank you very much for clarifying this.

Look at the outrage in the previous posts about 900 pesos.

You are the first, the only to clarify the situation.

450 is a number that is almost OK .

I'm in............

Is it possible to enter LT the old way and exit the new way?
Thereby avoiding the toll?

Not for me - just some of the more pecunious lurking here:p

Peters

Jan 1, 2005
Thank you very much for clarifying this.

Look at the outrage in the previous posts about 900 pesos.

You are the first, the only to clarify the situation.

450 is a number that is almost OK .

I'm in............

Is it possible to enter LT the old way and exit the new way?
Thereby avoiding the toll?

Not for me - just some of the more pecunious lurking here:p

At this time it IS possible to enter by old road and return/exit LT on new and avoid the toll.

ninapup

Sep 16, 2004

Thanks, Peters...Ah, the one way toll makes more sense. Our frequent sojourns to Nagua might be faster and more pleasant but I can honestly say we will not use it all the time.
The aerial views are spectacular, great photos Beeza.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
This information is not consistent with what the booths are doing and my personal experience. I have travelled the road twice and been charged 450 each way even after requesting consideration. The road before the portable toll booth that some people were using to get around the toll booth but that has also been closed off. I know others that have been charged the full 900RD for a return trip as well. Today I took the Sanchez mountain road instead and it was great travelling and with no toll.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
now I am confused again :(
the damn toll is 450 total or 900 total?

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002

Not true... You are charged both ways, meaning 450x2=900rd$...

Please don't misinform...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Now we're all lost!!

I arrive el Catey on Saturday..... will I need to pay a 450 toll to get out of the airport when turning right to Nagua/Cabrera?

What if i was turning left , going to LT?

Then we have the question of 1 way or 2 way tolls!!!