Balaguer - The Dictator after Trujillo

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just reading up on some of the events between 1966 and 1978. I lived through part of that even though I was a kid, but still remember the fear and intimidation everyone felt at "La Banda", still remember this or that person being arrested and "disappeared". My family was definitely in the opposition with my dad and uncle being deeply anti-Reformista. As much as we complain about corruption nowadays we should at least be thankful that in addition to the corruption we don't have politically motivated killings. We have indeed come a long way, with a longer way still to go. Here is the link Elections and Events 1970-1989 - UCSD Libraries.

Here are a couple of excerpts.

Atkins 1998: "In April 1971 the armed forces and police helped to create and then sponsored a right-wing terrorist group of young men known as 'La Banda' (its euphemistic full name was Anti-Terrorist and Anti-Communist Democratic Front of Reformst Youth) for the purpose of silencing the opposition" (page 155).

Chester 2001: "The cycle of state-sponsored violence reached a crescendo in the spring of 1971, when a shadowy group known as La Banda...murdered three hundred leftists in a brief, but intense, campaign of terror" (page 273).

Rutinel Dom?nguez 2000: "La Banda: Grupo paramilitar derechista organizado hacia 1971 con el nombre de 'Frente Democr?tico Reformista Anticomunista,' y que por la forma de actuaci?n el pueblo bautizara como 'La Banda'" (page 69

Haggerty 1991: "The PRD...nominated Silvestre Antonio Guzm?n Fern?ndez to oppose Balaguer in the elections of May 16, 1978. A relatively heavy 70 percent turnout seemed to favor the PRD; early returns confirmed this as Guzm?n built a sizable lead. Early in the morning of May 17, however, military units occupied the Central Electoral Board and impounded the ballots. Clearly, Balaguer was attempting to nullify the balloting or to falsify the results in his favor. Only forceful remonstrances by the Carter administration, backed up by a naval deployment, moved Balaguer to allow the resumption of the vote count. Two weeks later, Guzm?n's victory was officially announced" (page 34). "Although the Central Electoral Board acknowledged the PRD's victories in the races for the presidency and the Chamber of Deputies (the lower house of Congress), it managed through some creative counting-apparently taking the number of ballots not used in some provinces and dividing them among the top two vote-getters-to give Balaguer's PR a sixteen-to-eleven majority in the Senate" (page 35).

Espinal 1994: "In 1978, followers of the incumbent Joaquin Balaguer attempted a coup when it became evident that the PRD was ahead in the electoral count. High-ranking military officers broke into the electoral office the morning after election day, stopping the counting of the ballots. The impasse generated by this action lasted about two months, a period during which it was unknown whether the PRD would take office. Finally, the Electoral Board shifted results around in four provinces in order to grant Balaguer's party a majority of representatives in the Senate. Short of being completely out of power, the PRD accepted the results announced by the Electoral Board, which granted the PRD the presidency and a majority in the House of Deputies. The way, the founding elections (i.e., the elections of the transition) were marked by irregularities, and the terms of the transition itself were ultimately decided by the Electoral Board" (page 152).

Wiarda 1992: "After what seemed an inordinately long delay and concessions granted to the 'Balagueristas' that included giving them majority control in the Dominican Senate, Guzm?n was named the winner with 832,319 votes to 669,112 for Balaguer. World opinion, strong pressure from the Carter administration, and vigilance and direct actions by the Dominicans combined to save the democratic process" (page 50).

Thanks should be given to Jimmy Carter for forcing Balaguer to accept defeat and thus potentially averting another civil war in The DR.

What a prick Balaguer was and thanks god he's done and dead, otherwise I wouldn't put it past him to still be influencing Dominican politics.

eltubo

Nov 5, 2011
Balaguer should not be blamed for everything that happened during those tumultuous times where everything that even smelled "communist" was deemed a threat. Remember who helped him come to power, and you'll understand he was just a piece in a huge puzzle

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
As a matter of fact, Balaguer had been mostly a good leader for this nation... Look back & put things in perspective, without the "politiquerias" of the hardcore PRD guys, and you will see...

May 29, 2006
As a matter of fact, Balaguer had been mostly a good leader for this nation... Look back & put things in perspective, without the "politiquerias" of the hardcore PRD guys, and you will see...

He was the main proponent of getting charcoal production reduced by creating strict forestry laws. Some programs worked and some didn't. He is a major subject in the book, COLLAPSE, by Jared Diamond. In it, he said that you get 20 different answers about Balaguer if you ask 20 different people. As bad as the Dominican dictators were, they did far more for the population than the Duvaliers in Haiti.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Balaguer was literally blind in the later years of his dictatorship. He was also blind to human rights and a democratic society. "Power corrupts, and ultimate power corrupts utlimately." Machiavelli was right on the mark.

S

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

I never was a PRD sympathizer so this doesn't apply to me. Mostly a good leader how? I will give him two things: He helped put in place the policies to reduce the use of charcoal and the fact he didn't let the country go into as much debt as today's leaders do, but that doesn't atone for all the people who got killed / disappeared under his regime. Saddam, Khadafi and Trujillo were mostly good leaders as well except for that little part where they had hundreds of people killed to serve their political purpose. He was power hungry and manipulated Dominican politics almost right up to his death...as a matter of fact one of the main reasons Hipolito won in 1998 was because of Balaguer's support...and we all know how that turned out.

Yes there was the fear of "communists"- Which BTW by the 1970's that was already a moot point, given they had all been wiped out - but does that excuse his thugs intimidating the opposition parties (not communist) to the point where he ran for President in 1970 and 1974 pretty much unopposed because anybody who challenged him was liable to be killed?

Atkins 1998: "As the May 1970 election neared, police violence mounted against the opposition parties, violence that accelerated in April when Bosch returned. Balaguer's reelection was assured with the violence committed against the opposition, the division of the vote among several opposition parties, the PRD's boycott of the election, and electoral fraud" (page 155).

1974 Elections: Black 1986: "It soon became very clear however, that Balaguer would brook no serious opposition. The armed forces were openly intimidating political leaders and would-be voters...After this resurgence of terrorism, which the electoral council refused to recognize, the PRD and most other parties withdrew their candidates. Only the small Popular Democratic party (PDP) stayed in the race. Balaguer won by a margin of 85 percent, but only half of the 2 million registered voters bothered to turn out" (page 51).

The main problem with Balaguer is that in fact he could have been a really good leader, but because he was so power hungry he chose instead to foment a climate of fear and intimidation and give the armed forces and right wing thugs free reign as long as they served his ultimate purpose which was to stay in power at all cost. He's the one who implemented and encouraged the culture of rampant corruption which we now have in The DR. From what I understand this did not exist during the Trujillo years and certainly not during the brief period that Juan Bosch was president.

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

I agree there are positives. It is important to remember that one book is never a balanced review of history and neither are the recollections of a political opponent.

Certainly there were abuses, some very serious, but also many positives.

Regarding people being in fear of Balaguer, it is worth remembering that they brought back to power when he was in his 90s and most likely would have kept him in office had he not died.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ken: This is not just ONE book, but pretty much everyone who has written about that period even his proponents can attest that this happened. Oh and BTW these books are not by Dominicans with vested interest in doing harm to this or that party, but by Americans and other foreign writers.

Chester 2001: "Once inaugurated in July 1966, Balaguer acted quickly to decimate the opposition. Death squads killed dozens of left-wing militants...Even those on the moderate left were targeted, with hundreds of activists from Bosch's party, the PRD, brutally executed. During Balaguer's first two terms in office, 1966-1974, more than three thousand left-wing activists were assassinated" (pages 272-273).

By the time he was "brought back" to power it was a very different time. He could not have had his death squads if he wanted to by then.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
After the assassination of "El jefe" Trujillo in 1961 the country was in complete disorder... first president in power by civil (vote) election Juan Boch was forced out the presidential house by some military and civil groups (never have the cojones pa governar)
During the period 1961 / 1968 in our country was installed a divided military regime in which some famous general of the different regions of the island were called "Caciques".... Balaguer intelligently created a military group called "La Banda Colora" to get out of the way people who was trying to keep the country out of control, he was smart enough to put some differences in between the armed forces leaders and this way to take absolute control of the country and this way he planted the tree that was called later " Dominican Democracy".

Balaguer you will be in our hearts for ever!!!

JJ

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Bachata: Are you Balaguerista as well? From your posts I thought you were die hard Perredeista...It sounds to me you're really just an Oportunista. So in your mind "La Banda" was a good thing?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I used to be balaguerista but as my leader passed away now I am perredeista.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm not for any political leader killing by all accounts peaceful dissidents. As far as I understand that is a criminal and immoral act to which their are consequences, if not in this life the next.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
(...)Saddam, Khadafi and Trujillo were mostly good leaders as well except for that little part where they had hundreds of people killed to serve their political purpose.(...)
Come on, you know very well this is BS...

(...)as a matter of fact one of the main reasons Hipolito won in 1998 was because of Balaguer's support(...)
You are mistaken... It was Leonel who was elected with "el Doctor" 's support in 1996.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken: This is not just ONE book, but pretty much everyone who has written about that period even his proponents can attest that this happened. Oh and BTW these books are not by Dominicans with vested interest in doing harm to this or that party, but by Americans and other foreign writers.

Chester 2001: "Once inaugurated in July 1966, Balaguer acted quickly to decimate the opposition. Death squads killed dozens of left-wing militants...Even those on the moderate left were targeted, with hundreds of activists from Bosch's party, the PRD, brutally executed. During Balaguer's first two terms in office, 1966-1974, more than three thousand left-wing activists were assassinated" (pages 272-273).

By the time he was "brought back" to power it was a very different time. He could not have had his death squads if he wanted to by then.

The fact an author is foreign doesn't automatically make their account credible.

I wasn't living here during his first period as president, but was here when he was brought back into power. I saw the huge crowds at several of his appearances and the seeming adulation of the people. Here is a guy in his 90s, blind as a bat, physically infirm (but not mentally) but still the majority of the people wanted him back in office. On his death bed there were still people who wanted him to run.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The fact an author is foreign doesn't automatically make their account credible.

I wasn't living here during his first period as president, but was here when he was brought back into power. I saw the huge crowds at several of his appearances and the seeming adulation of the people. Here is a guy in his 90s, blind as a bat, physically infirm (but not mentally) but still the majority of the people wanted him back in office. On his death bed there were still people who wanted him to run.

Read this then:

Recordarn con acto en New York, jvenes muerto por la Banda Colora- elMasacre.com™

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Come on, you know very well this is BS...

Why is this BS? His death squads killed 3000+ people during those years? I don't know if this number is accurate, but I know it was a lot. It's even debatable who killed more people Trujillo or Balaguer...

You are mistaken... It was Leonel who was elected with "el Doctor" 's support in 1996.

No I'm not...If you were in The DR when Hippo was running for president against Danilo, Balaguer gave his blessing to support him instead of Danilo and The PLD during the second round of the election process. Yes Leonel also won due to his blessing, but Hippo did this too. Remember his "Amarrar la chiva" comment?

Ken: I agree it doesn't necessarily make it credible, but my point is these were books from people who in theory don't have a dog on this fight, so should be pretty objective. Now I don't know if the 3000+ deaths is correct, but so what? Does 2000, 1000, 500 or whatever make it right? Balaguer was a dictator wannabe and a murderer and that's a fact. Whether people want to justify his murdering ways is another matter...but the fact remains.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Why is this BS? His death squads killed 3000+ people during those years? I don't know if this number is accurate, but I know it was a lot. It's even debatable who killed more people Trujillo or Balaguer...

No I'm not...If you were in The DR when Hippo was running for president against Danilo, Balaguer gave his blessing to support him instead of Danilo and The PLD during the second round of the election process. Yes Leonel also won due to his blessing, but Hippo did this too. Remember his "Amarrar la chiva" comment?

Ken: I agree it doesn't necessarily make it credible, but my point is these were books from people who in theory don't have a dog on this fight, so should be pretty objective. Now I don't know if the 3000+ deaths is correct, but so what? Does 2000, 1000, 500 or whatever make it right? Balaguer was a dictator wannabe and a murderer and that's a fact. Whether people want to justify his murdering ways is another matter...but the fact remains.

A question that begs for an answer is, Did Balaguer personally profit from being president. I'M NOT DISAGREEING WITH YOU ASSESSMENT, BUT MY UNDERSTANDING IS THE OLD MAN ALSO HAD A VISION AND N EYE FOR THE FUTURE, BULDING MANY SCHOOLS...ETC.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
A question that begs for an answer is, Did Balaguer personally profit from being president. I'M NOT DISAGREEING WITH YOU ASSESSMENT, BUT MY UNDERSTANDING IS THE OLD MAN ALSO HAD A VISION AND N EYE FOR THE FUTURE, BULDING MANY SCHOOLS...ETC.

Of course he did, but I do admit that he was not money hungry as some others are...he was just power hungry. By the time he became president he had already been in the government for many years so by then he probably didn't need much more money.

Exactly what was the vision? Building white elephants at exorbitant costs like "El Faro a Colon"? I personally think his building prowess is overrated. Yes he built some housing which he quickly distributed to his Reformista minions, but when it comes to schools for instance he didn't build crap in and around my hometown. I went to school in the only school that existed for many kilometers around. I personally had to walk about 5 kilometers to the nearest little school (built by Trujillo). This school was only for 1st-4th grade. The nearest one with 5th - 8th grade was another 5 kilometers or so and I think that one was also built during Trujillo's times. Nowadays there are several schools and hospitals around there which were either mostly started during Jorge Blanco's term and finished later by either Leonel or Hippo and some by Balaguer during his second time back.