Need advice about opening a liquor store.

mliberation

Nov 6, 2011
Hi guys.

First, I'm new here so let me introduce myself. I'm Jose D. Hernandez from Dominican Republic and I live the U.S.

Okay, I'm thinking about opening a new business in Santiago, a Liquor Store.

Besides all the legal information about it, I'm wondering how's the best way of getting the merchandise or where?

Also, I want to know a proper way to put price in what I'm going to be selling. I Mean, is there like a Law that said whats the cheaper or the more expensive price that I can put on into Liquors?

Thanks.

Nov 25, 2008
your best bet is to check out the location, after that prices are regulated by YOU, their are a couple main suppliers but am unfamiliar who they are; check out the competition and soon enough a truck will stop by with their supplies.
But I'm sure I saw a post on the same subject here, do a search
good luck

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If you have to goonline asking those questions to strangers who have nomore knowledge than you, you will be throwing your money down the drain.

Since the supply of liquor licenses is unlimited (e.g. none) you'll be competing with about every calmado and large super grocery chain on the island.

I see very few liquor stores that survive.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi guys.

First, I'm new here so let me introduce myself. I'm Jose D. Hernandez from Dominican Republic and I live the U.S.

Okay, I'm thinking about opening a new business in Santiago, a Liquor Store.

Besides all the legal information about it, I'm wondering how's the best way of getting the merchandise or where?

Also, I want to know a proper way to put price in what I'm going to be selling. I Mean, is there like a Law that said whats the cheaper or the more expensive price that I can put on into Liquors?

Thanks.

let me try to put this as tactfully as i can. have you thought this out carefully? of all the things that are needed in the DR, at this time, do you think alcohol would be high on the list? every neighborhood store sells what people drink. the market for the stuff which is bought by the hoi polloi is just too restrictive for a newcomer to penetrate. better idea...put money in bank, collect interest.

mliberation

Nov 6, 2011
About the location, is going to be in a "private" area, where there's not a lot of colmados and stuff like that, I already did the market survey in I about 500 houses and more than 1000 adults. So, yes I have tough about this a lot and hopefully this business is going to succeed.

So your recommendation is to regulate the price by myself, looking for other store price and figure it out.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Do I understand this properly? You did an alleged "markey survey" but didn't come up with a pricing model? And you think 1000 adults are going to support your business?

No "one" regulates pricing. The market does.

Feb 7, 2007
Do I understand this properly? You did an alleged "markey survey" but didn't come up with a pricing model? And you think 1000 adults are going to support your business?

No "one" regulates pricing. The market does.
CB I think those 500 houses and 1000 persons were his sample

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I wonder where that place is?

500 houses and no Colmado and / or a place to buy booze nearby?

In the D.R.??? ;)

mliberation

Nov 6, 2011
That place is in Santiago. Obviously there's colmados but is not a place full of business. I'm just trying to invest my money in something and somebody talked to me about this page and I'm just asking for advice.

And cobraboy I did came with a pricing mode, or base. I want to make sure I dont abuse and I also need clients and my strategy for that is make affordable prices.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
And cobraboy I did came with a pricing mode, or base. I want to make sure I dont abuse and I also need clients and my strategy for that is make affordable prices.
No offense, you're another one who is not looking for advice because you've already made up your mind.

You are looking for affirmation and attention.

Good luck.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
low margins, high amount of theft from both staff and customers, risk of robberies, and as an 'outsider' you will have to play by all the rules (taxes, regulations, etc) and your competition won't have to.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
cobraboy hit the nail on the head!

If you knew the market, then you would know it's not always about affordable prices. It's who you know, how you manage your staff, promos and payoffs.

Liquor stores can be a great business, if you got in early. Lots of money to be made and has been made.

Do not waste your time asking questions on here, you will get answers, but very few relevant to actually owning and running a liquor store.

Do yourself a favor, go speak to Alvin that owns OmegaTech (lots of posts here, use the search) and chat with him about the liquor store business. He's a great guy and I'm sure will give you the "real deal" on how this business operates, he own's a few of them in Santo Domingo.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hola:
Hey, unfortunately these posters are like sharks in the water, when they smell blood they attack. If you want to open a business that is fine, however who are you going to trust with your investment if you are not living here? Even if it is close family it is difficult to make it work if you are not living in the DR and have a real handle on what is happening on a daily basis. I'm not trying to discourage you, well actually I am, but if you have no clue as to what this business involves then you should not attempt to try it here. You will be ripped off 7 ways from Sunday. Sorry, but that is the sad truth.

S