Anyone bought a large screen TV lately?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
My first generation Philips plasma TV has finally given up the ghost. Not bad considering it is over twelve years old, survived the shipping from the UK and even managed to cope with Cabarete sea air and electricity for the last six years. It's been to the repair shop once already and now I think it's time to replace it.

So where's the best place for a good deal on a 47" or 50" TV in Santiago? Pricesmart? Plaza lama? Corruppio? La Sirena? That old Philips set cost over ?6,000 twelve years ago, I don't want to spend that much again! I know they are so much cheaper now. I recently bought a 37" Samsung LCD for $299 in Best Buy in Miami.

Just thought that if anyone has any recent experiences it might save me a lot of time tangling with Santiago traffic!

Any opinions on LCD, Plasma or LED?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LED Backlit LCD TVs...

If you find a deal comparable to what you can get from Tigerdirect.com and Montero Shipping delivering it to your door, take it. I agree that LED backlit TVs are best. (By the way, LED TVs are still LCD displays, they are just back-lit using LEDs. Less energy than fluorescent back-lighting, crisper picture and hopefully longer life).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
If you find a deal comparable to what you can get from Tigerdirect.com and Montero Shipping delivering it to your door, take it. I agree that LED backlit TVs are best. (By the way, LED TVs are still LCD displays, they are just back-lit using LEDs. Less energy than fluorescent back-lighting, crisper picture and hopefully longer life).

And way more thinner than LCD TVs.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
LED is the future of television, Plasma are basically unheard of here in Canada, LCD will also go by the way side in the future.

I own a 46 inch 46" BRAVIA EX700 Series Edge LED 1299 Cdn

Bought a Panasonic Viera 50 inch Plasma in May, ....paid 1200 for it....(Best Buy) incredible TV, came with all sorts of Apps....Netflix.....Facebook.....You Tube.....plus wi-fi..........can't beat it for the price!!!!

Very happy with it......same TV today is now 900...............GREAT DEALS in the States.....

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Also keep in mind that if you're only using Cabarete cable you are going to be disappointed with you're new hi def TV. For best results you will need a dish or download you're own programing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
We are also thinking about getting a new tv. Can anybody actually give an example of the final price of a 1000$ tv bought at tigerdirect, shipped by montero to cabarete, customs, etc...

I believe there is a 20% custom tax on tv's, plus the additional 16% itbis.

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also keep in mind that if you're only using Cabarete cable you are going to be disappointed with you're new hi def TV. For best results you will need a dish or download you're own programing.

Does that not apply to anywhere in the DR? Is there a local source of HDTV at all as yet?

Dillinjah519

Oct 4, 2011
LED is the future of television, Plasma are basically unheard of here in Canada

LOL what part of Canada are you from? There are tons of plasma and LCD flatscreens everywhere. I have a SONY BRAVIA 42 inch LCD, and a SAMSUNG 42 inch plasma, both from 2010, and I like the quality on the plasma better then my LCD.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
LOL what part of Canada are you from? There are tons of plasma and LCD flatscreens everywhere. I have a SONY BRAVIA 42 inch LCD, and a SAMSUNG 42 inch plasma, both from 2010, and I like the quality on the plasma better then my LCD.

Once again. "LED" TVs are still LCD TVs, they just use an LED back light method which is better than the previous method of backlighting. Plasma sets have the advantage of a better black level than most TVs although the newer LED/LCDs are very good. I have an older plasma set and it works well.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Once again. "LED" TVs are still LCD TVs, they just use an LED back light method which is better than the previous method of backlighting. Plasma sets have the advantage of a better black level than most TVs although the newer LED/LCDs are very good. I have an older plasma set and it works well.

From what I have read, the Plasma TV's use a lot of electric.......

Technology type: Plasma TVs use more power than LCD TVs. In tests of TVs since the beginning of 2008 plasmas consume, on average, roughly two to three times more electricity to produce an image of the same brightness as LCD.

Televisions

191-474 watts - 50-56" Plasma television

210-322 watts - 50-56" LCD television

150-206 watts - 50-56" DLP television

188-464 watts - 42" Plasma television

91-236 watts - 42" LCD television

98-156 watts - 32" LCD television

55-90 watts - 19" CRT television

Don

Feb 7, 2007
Does that not apply to anywhere in the DR? Is there a local source of HDTV at all as yet?

Telecable (Tricom) has some HDTV station and I think ClaroTV (not satellite but IPTV). Otherthan that, Dish HDTV. I don't know if HDTV works with private server or not, then you would need a regular subscription.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I get my HDTV via a paid Dishnetwork subcription and receiver with double tuner, I got tired of the pirated satelite systems that were constantly down. I have a 65 inch DLP Samsung that I bought about two years ago. The picture is great and there are more and more HD channels coming out. But DLP's were pretty much on the way out then, at the time I got a lot of bang for the buck but they are not thin screens.

When I was in Miami last time, most LED TV's come with wi-fi and definetly are the future. You can probably get good prices on LCD's now, but picture is brighter and sharper on the LED's.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
My first generation Philips plasma TV has finally given up the ghost. Not bad considering it is over twelve years old, survived the shipping from the UK and even managed to cope with Cabarete sea air and electricity for the last six years. It's been to the repair shop once already and now I think it's time to replace it.

So where's the best place for a good deal on a 47" or 50" TV in Santiago? Pricesmart? Plaza lama? Corruppio? La Sirena? That old Philips set cost over ?6,000 twelve years ago, I don't want to spend that much again! I know they are so much cheaper now. I recently bought a 37" Samsung LCD for $299 in Best Buy in Miami.

Just thought that if anyone has any recent experiences it might save me a lot of time tangling with Santiago traffic!

Any opinions on LCD, Plasma or LED?

There is an interesting promo that La Sirena is going to have for Sony TV's until december. Has to do with the baseball season. Promo goes live tomorrow.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
SantiagoDR is absolutely correct that a negative point on using a Plasma TV is the higher power consumption.
LED Backlit TVs are the best answer for lower power consumption.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:

I just bought a 32"Sanyo with built in dvd player thru Amazon.com. Price was $379USD. Shipping and duty will probably cost about at least about 50% of the purchase price. I looked at something that was similar in Sirena (without dvd) and they wanted over $1000US. SKY Satellite TV out of Mexico said that they were going to start HDTV in Mexico and slowly expand it to other countries. As of yet it is not available in the DR. The picture transmitted by SKY is very good. Claro also offers satellite TV. It beats cable by a long shot.

S

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
just bought a Hyundai 40" HDLCD for 25,000 pesos at la serena in pop, the picture is very nice all I have to do now is get a high defination reciever.