Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone bought a large screen TV lately?

My first generation Philips plasma TV has finally given up the ghost. Not bad considering it is over twelve years old, survived the shipping from the UK and even managed to cope with Cabarete sea air and electricity for the last six years. It's been to the repair shop once already and now I think it's time to replace it.

So where's the best place for a good deal on a 47" or 50" TV in Santiago? Pricesmart? Plaza lama? Corruppio? La Sirena? That old Philips set cost over 6,000 twelve years ago, I don't want to spend that much again! I know they are so much cheaper now. I recently bought a 37" Samsung LCD for $299 in Best Buy in Miami.

Just thought that if anyone has any recent experiences it might save me a lot of time tangling with Santiago traffic!

Any opinions on LCD, Plasma or LED?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

LED is the future of television, Plasma are basically unheard of here in Canada, LCD will also go by the way side in the future.

I own a 46 inch 46" BRAVIA EX700 Series Edge LED 1299 Cdn

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default LED Backlit LCD TVs...

If you find a deal comparable to what you can get from Tigerdirect.com and Montero Shipping delivering it to your door, take it. I agree that LED backlit TVs are best. (By the way, LED TVs are still LCD displays, they are just back-lit using LEDs. Less energy than fluorescent back-lighting, crisper picture and hopefully longer life).

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    If you find a deal comparable to what you can get from Tigerdirect.com and Montero Shipping delivering it to your door, take it. I agree that LED backlit TVs are best. (By the way, LED TVs are still LCD displays, they are just back-lit using LEDs. Less energy than fluorescent back-lighting, crisper picture and hopefully longer life).
    And way more thinner than LCD TVs.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hlywud View Post
    LED is the future of television, Plasma are basically unheard of here in Canada, LCD will also go by the way side in the future.

I own a 46 inch 46" BRAVIA EX700 Series Edge LED 1299 Cdn

Bought a Panasonic Viera 50 inch Plasma in May, ....paid 1200 for it....(Best Buy) incredible TV, came with all sorts of Apps....Netflix.....Facebook.....You Tube.....plus wi-fi..........can't beat it for the price!!!!

Very happy with it......same TV today is now 900...............GREAT DEALS in the States.....

6. Likes LaLouve liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Also keep in mind that if you're only using Cabarete cable you are going to be disappointed with you're new hi def TV. For best results you will need a dish or download you're own programing.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We are also thinking about getting a new tv. Can anybody actually give an example of the final price of a 1000$ tv bought at tigerdirect, shipped by montero to cabarete, customs, etc...

I believe there is a 20% custom tax on tv's, plus the additional 16% itbis.

Thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
    Also keep in mind that if you're only using Cabarete cable you are going to be disappointed with you're new hi def TV. For best results you will need a dish or download you're own programing.
    Does that not apply to anywhere in the DR? Is there a local source of HDTV at all as yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hlywud View Post
    LED is the future of television, Plasma are basically unheard of here in Canada
    LOL what part of Canada are you from? There are tons of plasma and LCD flatscreens everywhere. I have a SONY BRAVIA 42 inch LCD, and a SAMSUNG 42 inch plasma, both from 2010, and I like the quality on the plasma better then my LCD.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast