Jan 16, 2009
I can't seem to find this anywhere.

Are there any restrictions on bringing in meats?:bandit:
Beef, lamb, etc.

Thanks .. WW

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I find that there is a lot of beef about either from your local supermarket or from the road side kiosks. A local colmado has started selling meat; beef, pork, only from the leg and chickens. The secret is cooking it long and slow, like many other good things in life.

Carne de Res or Carne de Vaca.

Last edited:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have brought several large packs of Nathan's Hot Dogs into this country many times. As far as I know there is no restriction on bringing meat in. But I would not ask about it, just do it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have brought several large packs of Nathan's Hot Dogs into this country many times. As far as I know there is no restriction on bringing meat in. But I would not ask about it, just do it.

Hot dogs are not meat, just lips & Aholes.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I can find cow embryos and live cattle on that page but nothing about steaks and roasts of beef.Or lamb, etc
You can inport as long as you do the following. Obviously not for personal use.
The presentation of an international animal health certificate stating that:
1 - The animals are native to the exporting country.
2 - The animals come from a State where no has been no case of Encefalopatia spongiform Bovina.
3 They come from herds where communicable diseases have not been submitted in the last 90 days.
4. It is prohibited to feed ruminants with meat and bone meal or greaves derived from ruminants, for a minimum period of eight years and is actually respected the ban.
5 - The meats come from a slaughterhouse with official certification review ante and post mortem with favourable outcomes for the detection of communicable diseases.
6. Bovine animals from which fresh meat or meat products intended for export, come were not stunned before slaughter, by injection of air or compressed gas in the cranial vault, or through cuts of marrow, or any other procedure which might contaminate meat.
7 - The fresh meat and meat products come from animals under 30 months of age, do not contain bones, nor any of the following tissues:
Tonsils, intestines, brain, eyes, spinal cord, skull, spine, viscera, glands in general, or none of its protein derivatives, or meat boned by mechanical procedures and all the tissues listed above were removed altogether of the channels in such a way that prevented these were contaminated.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I guess you just carry the meat and hope for the best.

BTW, the US has lifted the ban on importing Cdn beef.
UK beef is still forbidden to enter USA - customs man told me that the other day. Its new news

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That's what you get when you put Tea Party Republicans in a meat grinder. :knockedou:knockedou:knockedou

but not the OWS right, but then maybe being one your an expert on Aholes.

I guess you just carry the meat and hope for the best.

BTW, the US has lifted the ban on importing Cdn beef.
UK beef is still forbidden to enter USA - customs man told me that the other day. Its new news

Yes, the US did starting 2003 to ease import of Canadian beef, but the DR did not. The ESB cost the Canadian beef industry $7 billions in losses since the case.

May 29, 2006
May 29, 2006
I wonder if they have ever tried to raise water buffalo in the DR. It should tolerate the heat a lot better than cattle.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
If you are coming from Canada or the States and are trying to bring in food that is not of the packaged kind, bottle or can, good luck. Upon checking in you will be very very fortunate if it makes it thru customs inspection. If you attempt to carry it on customs will confiscate it when it is scanned thru security. I t is possible to buy decent meat here but you have to buy the top shelf stuff. Here at the supermarket in LT I look for meat that is labelled Filet de Res. That is equal to a NY strip or rib eye.

S

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Imported Angus beef is readily available here in major Supermarkets.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Here at the supermarket in LT I look for meat that is labelled Filet de Res. That is equal to a NY strip or rib eye.

S
Syeve, filet is a different part of the cow from a ribeye or NY(KC) strip.

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
..brought in
6lbs of seasoned fajita meat (beef)
had it vacuumpacked,froze it
put it in my checkin
no problem
Manu

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread has been a major flashback to the late 1970s, when the big supermarkets hadn't opened yet and turkeys were hard to come by in SD. Two girlfriends lived in SD at the time, and I can remember a bunch of us getting on a plane at JFK on Wednesday before Thanksgiving, carrying a big frozen turkey over a shoulder to go and celebrate together. No one batted an eye at SDQ.

One of those girlfriends still lives in SD - she introduced me to my husband there, back on Thanksgiving Day 1975.

AE
Feeling rather old today - where did the years go???